Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 16,079 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

My family and I are considering a move from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Wilmington NC. I've been there once in the last month and I really liked it.

Please give me an honest assessment of what I should consider before moving. Here's a little about us: 2 kids ages 9 and 11, family oriented, Christian. love the thought of living close to the ocean. Good schools are important.

What are the top two reasons to live there? What are the top two reasons not to live there? (There are many positives for me -- the main concerns are housing costs and hurricanes -- can you say anthing to make me feel better? My income would increase by $40K so I'm hoping that'll cover the housing costs).

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,798 times
Well, your two main concerns are pretty common there. Wilmington has the highest cost of housing in the state. Wilmington is known to be a hurricane attractor. Keep in mind also that property taxes and homeowners insurance has increased there recently. There are some decent schools in Wilmington but overcrowding is an issue as well. Some people choose to home school or go to private schools. The traffic there is bad and the roads are ranked the 2nd most dangerous in the state. Wilmington becomes even more crowded in the summer months and going to the beach during peak hours is nearly downright impossible. Traffic during holiday weekends, ugh, a nightmare. That's my honest assessment.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,481,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milligansgb View Post
What are the top two reasons to live there? What are the top two reasons not to live there?
Pros:
1. Water. Whether it's fishing, surfing, boating, or just looking at it.
2. History. Downtown is very historic.

honorable mention: Interesting people, bars, nightlife

Cons:
1. Cost of living, especially housing
2. Way too crowded - this can be seen in the roads, sewer problems, automobile accident rate, etc.

honorable mention: crime, hurricanes, crazy people.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM

197 posts, read 958,509 times
Top Reasons to live there:
1) If you appreciate history and culture, Wilmington has it.
Lots of art galleries, music, theatre.
2) Near the ocean and Cape Fear River.
3) Friendly people.
4) If you are christian (believe you said you were), you shouldn't have a problem finding a church -- -there are many to choose from, but try to live near it! ( see 2 below).
5) LOTS of good restaurants.

Top Reasons not to live there:
1) High cost of living (not much bang for you housing dollar buck)
2) Traffic/overcrowded. Development all over, when roads
and infrastructure already overloaded. Not really any freeways in town.
3) Crime ---depends on where you live. Bad in some areas,
not really a concern in others.

I don't know how much you will be making with your new job, but Wilmington is notorious that average housing costs are very out of line with average salaries.
Look at the housing market and if you can afford what you want/can live
with, you can probably be happy in Wilmington. Some schools are good, some are great, and some not so good. I think Parsley Elementary is one of the best in town. I have relatives with children there and they are extremely happy with it. Most of the high schools have good reputations, but don't know a lot about that, or middle school situation.

I hope this helps!!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:51 PM

197 posts, read 958,509 times
Default Hurricanes

The past couple of years have not produced any major hurricanes in the Wilmington area. If you live within 30 miles of the coast, you just live knowing you may get none, one, several, or many during hurricane season. You never know how bad they will be. I've lived on or near the cost most of my life, and you just get used to it. The closer you live inland, generally the safer you are. I think we get used to them like people on the West coast
get used to earthquakes.

For most people, the worst thing about hurricanes is they lose electricity/utilities. I lived in Wilmington from 2003-2006 and we had one that we lost a couple of shingles but that was about it. I know people that have lived there for 15 to 50+ years and don't give hurricanes a second thought --- you just live and ride the wave as it comes. Now, if you live on the beach, it's a different story. Some people have left b/c every time one comes you need to evacuate. Then, you just go to a friend's home that is inland, or various Red Cross Shelters that are set up for that type thing.
If you don't live on the beach and really are afraid, you can always go to a shelter.

Also, flooding can be a problem --- so not so good to live next to a creek or river. What's so ironic is that living near the water increases the price of the home!! "Waterfront" isn't always best!

Don't let hurricanes scare you away from the east coast unless they really mortify you.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 PM

103 posts, read 900,197 times
There aren't any job in Wilmington. It is a New York/New Jersey retirement community that has taken over the entire town.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 48,625 times
Talking North Carolina Bound

Where to live? My wife and I are looking at Durham and Raleigh. We are looking to buy something in the $170-200K range. We have an eight-year-old who is GATE qualified and plays a superb midfielder soccer posistion. Let's put it this way: what should we look out for? Like in San Diego, if a person had limited home buying potential, I would mention La Mesa area but not El Cajon. Our intentions are to arrive in late June and settle in. Also, what's wrong with Oak Grove. House prices there are cheap?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM

24 posts, read 138,542 times
In checking in to my relocation to these areas I found some resources to make things more subjective. For traffic, there are websites like TRAFFICLAND to really see traffic and decide for yourself. There are local news and newspaper web sites. This will give a non-local a feel for the crime and social issues. And for real estate, there are many sites. I am still trying to find good info about which areas are most or least desirable. Realtors aren't good sources for this.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 63,408 times
Default Moving to Wilmington?

I am moving out of the area. However there are many things to love here...

The ocean is the main reason to be here. I walk almost every day and it is the thing I will miss the most when I move back to New Mexico.

Downtown is great! Wonderful farmers market...Great restaurants...nice boutique stores..etc...

I like the fact that they shoot movies here....not a reason to move but it is fun to watch...

Traffic is NOTHING! And I mean nothing. Oh you notice that there are more people on the road during big holiday weekends....maybe it takes you ten more minutes to get there. Big Whoop! That would not keep me from being here.

You will love being christian here. Everyone is christian. And I mean just about everyone, except maybe me. (: Thus one of the big reasons I am out of here. Not that I don't appreciate christianity but not to be one...well you kinda feel like an alien. All my friends are christian and they constantly want to convert me. I don't need to be converted...anyway...you will like that...

The people overall are kind and loving. Even when you are different than they are. My neighbors are the best and watch out for my teenage kids when we are out of town. They are warm, friendly and are the epitomy of southern hospitality. My neighbor actually brings us corn bread now and then. I love them!

Schools are well...its mixed...Sometimes dangerous...sometimes too controlling of the kids...perhaps because it is sometimes dangerous. My kids were in honors and I think that they received a pretty good education. We were in the Laney school district considered one of the best districts in the area.

Wilmington is supposed to have crime. I haven't seen it. Perhaps in some neighborhoods there are problems...Though where I live honestly it is a safe little haven. I love my neighborhood and my neighbors! It is only 5 minutes from just about everything. Perfect! Find a place like that. You can purchase our home if you want...(: Seriously though check out the neighborhood...I have seen a few that I wouldn't step foot in. Much of downtown is nice but it quickly deteriorates. Make sure you look around.

The weather is fabulous. All of the time. Our insurance rates went up...I think because of Katrina...Here we have only gotten baby hurricanes. There have been some serious ones in the past...but I believe it has been quite a while. Taxes are cheap. And I mean really cheap! Much less than probably what you are paying now. And cost of living? I don't think that it is that high...I am thinking...energy costs are reasonable...food may be a bit higher...gas is good, less than alot of places...house prices are not exorbitant they have just gone up because of the resort atmosphere of the town...you get to always be on vacation. Gets cool but not freezing in the winter...I like that!

What else can I tell you? I love Wilmington in many ways. I think I may be a bit too liberal for this town. I am going back to a place where I don't have to explain who I am, what I think, and why...If you lean towards conservative...even if you don't you will be welcomed here. I was! Even if I was not completely understood. Good luck to you. If you have any further questions you can email me at jadeforest7@yahoo.com. I wish you luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 78,792 times
Default Reason #1 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligansgb View Post
Hello All -

My family and I are considering a move from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Wilmington NC. I've been there once in the last month and I really liked it.

Please give me an honest assessment of what I should consider before moving. Here's a little about us: 2 kids ages 9 and 11, family oriented, Christian. love the thought of living close to the ocean. Good schools are important.

What are the top two reasons to live there? What are the top two reasons not to live there? (There are many positives for me -- the main concerns are housing costs and hurricanes -- can you say anthing to make me feel better? My income would increase by $40K so I'm hoping that'll cover the housing costs).

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions.
....no 60 below windchill factors to deal with is tops on my list as a former northern IL native.

#2... mild climate year round and no need to layer the kids up for school in the morning to where they couldn't move their arms

I really don't have any 2 reasons not to live here cause I think it's the best and plan to stay here for the rest of my lifetime. Friendly people, beautiful places, fantastic beaches and the area is growing leaps and bounds.

Hurricanes are a valid concern anywhere around the nc coast. I just personally feel that it is a risk/inconvenience worth dealing with to live here.

We live just north of Wilmington in Pender County and taxes are cheaper and so is car insurance. Topsail School District is in Pender County and while looking for our home both the realtor and some local people said that Topsail was one of the most desirable school districts right now. But since our children are now in college, someone else would have to give you more info on which school district.

Even though our boys are now out of high school and in college, they love coming to visit and going out tubing or fishing and they always enjoy all the amenities in the area, but the beaches and ocean and intercoastal waterway are our favorite and theirs.

Good luck on your decision, it is a huge one to make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina