Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM

872 posts, read 1,715,020 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I've visited Kure Beach and Wilmington twice over the last few years and enjoyed myself while I was there. Last year I visited in August and the weather was quite comfortable and people I met were very helpful. The bottom line is I cannot take much more of Orlando. This "city" is awful. Not so much the place but the people. there is a pervasive thug/redneck mentality in Orlando that is unsettling and in the six years I have lived here the environment is worsening(hit and runs, home break-ins). Who are some of the larger employers in the Wilmington region? Is it difficult to get hired with the city or the county when applying from out of state? Your insights would be appreciated particularly those of you who have moved from Florida. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,678,219 times
my guess would be the hospital and the university, as far as the largest goes.

i could be wrong, but thats what i would guess.

a lot of competition for those jobs (ANY JOBS) though. i would highly recommend finding a job before hanging your hat here.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 AM

698 posts, read 3,268,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Greetings. I've visited Kure Beach and Wilmington twice over the last few years and enjoyed myself while I was there. Last year I visited in August and the weather was quite comfortable and people I met were very helpful. The bottom line is I cannot take much more of Orlando. This "city" is awful. Not so much the place but the people. there is a pervasive thug/redneck mentality in Orlando that is unsettling and in the six years I have lived here the environment is worsening(hit and runs, home break-ins). Who are some of the larger employers in the Wilmington region? Is it difficult to get hired with the city or the county when applying from out of state? Your insights would be appreciated particularly those of you who have moved from Florida. Thanks.
Lived in Orlando/Ocoee area for fifteen years. Have been in Wilmington for almost eight. Hope to move back to Florida in Brevard county about 50 miles from Orlando in two more years. You should check into other areas of Florida as well before making a final decision. Believe me.....visiting here and living here are two different things and no better than where you are now. Actually,unless you live in the ghetto down there,you're better off there because you have a lot more to do,more shopping and dining options and the overall cost of living is lower than here.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 AM

P.S. I forgot to comment on the comfortable weather you spoke of in August. The humidity is worse here!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
P.S. I forgot to comment on the comfortable weather you spoke of in August. The humidity is worse here!
Thanks for your feedback. However, I was in Wilmington for four days in early August of last year and it was noticably breezier, cooler, and drier then Orlando. I could go out in the evening with jeans and long sleeve shirt without drenching in sweat. You will not be able to convince me not to move to Wilmington because of the climate. The summers are shorter and the sun is a lot less intense up there than here in Orlando. However, as for activities and theme parks I hear you. I could care less about strip malls and shopping.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Thanks for your feedback. However, I was in Wilmington for four days in early August of last year and it was noticably breezier, cooler, and drier then Orlando. I could go out in the evening with jeans and long sleeve shirt without drenching in sweat. You will not be able to convince me not to move to Wilmington because of the climate. The summers are shorter and the sun is a lot less intense up there than here in Orlando. However, as for activities and theme parks I hear you. I could care less about strip malls and shopping.
I wasn't trying to convince you not to move here because of the climate. I was just telling you how it is here. I think that since we lived in Orlando for 15 years and here for eight years,we would know better than someone visiting for a few days. We have been VERY surprised ourselves at the excessive humidity and the high cost of living.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 AM

311 posts, read 916,242 times
I live in Orlando and absolutely hate it. I think it is extremely boring and bland with nothing to do but eat at food chains or go somewhere touristy. There is no culture. The crime is disgusting. The blaring sun never turns off, and though humidity is still present in Wilmington, the weather is far better than here. I could care less about the shopping and I am a woman! haha. I'd take Wilmington's cute shops and small mall over the stupid outlets and 20 malls here with ridiculous traffic any day.
Husband and I are dying to move back to Wilmington where we had the greatest years of living ever! We are bored to tears here in FL, but in Wilmington we were never ever without something to do or somewhere new to eat that wasn't a chain.
I don't think the cost of living in Wilmington is high at all, but I believe that is subjective to the individual which is why Florida15 thinks it's high and I think it's strange to think it's high. I think Orlando's cost of living is very high, which is ridiculous because there's no reason for it.
However, the job market is atrocious in Wilmington. Certainly don't move there without first finding a job, if that is even possible. We have been applying to no avail for 7 months now. Have not heard a peep back from anything, not a peep!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I spent three days in Wilmington in August 2010 and one week in August 2009. Both visits were NOTICABLY more comfortable than Orlando. The cost of living in Wilmington is higher than most places throughout the state but still a bit less than Orlando. Apartment rentals, auto insurance, gas, and utilities are less than Orlando. Groceries are a wash because of NC's tax .

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJonesSells View Post
I think Wilmington has its good and bad but it really depends where you want to live. The cost of living, as others have mentioned, is a bit higher than other parts of NC, but that's what you get for living next to some great beaches.

As for employers, besides UNC-Wilmington and New Hanover Regional Medical Center, there are several others. I don't know what your occupation is but other employers include GE, Corning, AAIPharma, PPD, Quintiles, Chiltern, Cape Fear Community College, Brunswick Community College, Progress Energy, etc.

We have a great little airport (call letters ILM) that has direct flights to PHL, LGA, ATL, CLT, among others.

Be aware that there may be areas around Wilmington worth checking out. I personally live in Southport, about 30 minutes south, and it's a beautiful little town with charm and affordable housing (especially right now).

As for shopping, it is somewhat limited, but it is expanding. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are coming in 2012. If you really must have different options, Myrtle Beach is a great day trip (about 80 miles south) and Raleigh is about 2 hours or so (more or less, depending on where in Raleigh you want to go).

The key, in my opinion, is to find employment. If there is a major drawback to this area is that it is a primarily service- and tourism-oriented economy and wages tend to reflect that.

Hopefully, you'll be a neighbor soon! If I can help with your home search, let me know.
Thanks a lot

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,206 times
Really Rednecks in Orlando...You may want to move to CA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina