Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 PM

96 posts, read 433,568 times

Advertisements

In Sneads Ferry, 35 miles north of Wilmington, there is a new gated community called Mimosa Bay that has deep water access that is less than 10 minutes to the intercoastal by boat. There are lots right on the intercoastal as well as lots off the water. It has large lots (min.1/2 acre) and beautiful wooded lots. Every home is different so it doesn't have the cookie cutter look of many of the places we've seen. They have a fitness center, tennis courts, basketball, and the pool should be in by 2011. Presently 15 homes are being built by a builder called H&H and are selling for 270k and up but 12 have already sold preconstruction. We just bought a lot there and plan to build next year. Sneads ferry is a small quiet town but the people there are so friendly and we look forward to moving there. It is 5 minutes to beautiful beaches on N. Topsail Beach where we are presently renting a house. We do have to travel to Jacksonville for the closest mall or big chain stores but we really don't miss the hustle and bustle of larger towns. Lots are still available from 70k up to 300k. Also, the hoa is in good financial shape so no worries there. It;s worth checking out, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 10,768 times
We were just down in Leland - Southport viewing Compass Pointe, Waterford, Magnolia Green and Palmetto Creek. Compass Pointe was still very undeveloped - no golf course or amenity center - just a lot of pictures as to what it was going to look like. If you are a visionary you may appreciate the large poster pictures! Not a lot of homes built either. They are less than 20% sold, and only have a partial road (rest is dirt)!. They have 7-9 on site residents and 2 homes were under construction - thats it! Waterford which has navigatable waterways throughout the community and a lot of commercial development in front of it is 81% sold and is nice if you don't mind exiting a private area onto h'way chaos. Magnolia Green is connected to Waterford (via back roads) is nice and an established neighborhood with Golf Course - but again commerical development in front of it and h'way chaos when exiting! BF (Brunswick Forrest) is very very large development - just not for us.

Now for Palmetto Creek - further south about 35 minutes from Wilmington and North Myrtle Beach. No golf course, nice amenity center and small beach area on premises. 3 really nice golf courses within 10 - 15 minutes. Ocean and Cape Fear 15 minutes away in Southport - small quaint watertown. There is also a nice ferry from Southport to Wilmington if you prefer not to drive for $5.
At least 3 beaches within 15 minutes. Shopping in Shallot and Premier Outlest in North Myrtle Beach... Temperature is at least 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than Leland and Wilmington (which I did not like). Winters are 10 - 15 degrees warmer too!

No we are not realtors, but we liked what we saw....perhaps you should check it out too! Good Luck..

Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,516 times
The Bluffs at cape fear is perfect just what your looking for

Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 91,014 times
Have you considered New Bern, NC? Smaller and less expensive than Wilmington, but plenty to do and a lot less traffic.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttsack View Post
We were just down in Leland - Southport viewing Compass Pointe, Waterford, Magnolia Green and Palmetto Creek. Compass Pointe was still very undeveloped - no golf course or amenity center - just a lot of pictures as to what it was going to look like. If you are a visionary you may appreciate the large poster pictures! Not a lot of homes built either. They are less than 20% sold, and only have a partial road (rest is dirt)!. They have 7-9 on site residents and 2 homes were under construction - thats it! Waterford which has navigatable waterways throughout the community and a lot of commercial development in front of it is 81% sold and is nice if you don't mind exiting a private area onto h'way chaos. Magnolia Green is connected to Waterford (via back roads) is nice and an established neighborhood with Golf Course - but again commerical development in front of it and h'way chaos when exiting! BF (Brunswick Forrest) is very very large development - just not for us.

Now for Palmetto Creek - further south about 35 minutes from Wilmington and North Myrtle Beach. No golf course, nice amenity center and small beach area on premises. 3 really nice golf courses within 10 - 15 minutes. Ocean and Cape Fear 15 minutes away in Southport - small quaint watertown. There is also a nice ferry from Southport to Wilmington if you prefer not to drive for $5.
At least 3 beaches within 15 minutes. Shopping in Shallot and Premier Outlest in North Myrtle Beach... Temperature is at least 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than Leland and Wilmington (which I did not like). Winters are 10 - 15 degrees warmer too!

No we are not realtors, but we liked what we saw....perhaps you should check it out too! Good Luck..
Palmetto Creek sounds interesting; we're heading down in September and had planned on seriously looking at the Leland area, specifically Mag Greens and Compass Pointe. I think based on your email, we'll eliminate Compass Pointe and add Palmetto Creek. We're staying in Magnolia Greens so we'll be able to talk to folks living there, but from all I've read, it sounds like just what we're looking for. How bad is the traffic on Hwy 17? Keeping in mind, we live on Cape Cod and are now the throes of our tourist season, so "bad traffic" on 17 compared to what we're used to might all be relative.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 AM

120 posts, read 251,893 times
You cannot compare Cape Cod traffic to what's on Hwy 17 along Waterford/Magnolia Greens/Brunswick Forest. Cape Cod is a million times worse. Since I'm from MA also, I can assure you that you will not even blink an eye at the "traffic chaos" in this area!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Thumbs up Sneads Ferry vs Wilmington/Leland

[quote=mkozlpn;14835748]In Sneads Ferry, 35 miles north of Wilmington, there is a new gated community called Mimosa Bay that has deep water access that is less than 10 minutes to the intercoastal by boat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
We have bought in Mimosa Bay, basically because it is a great value compared to Wilmington. Sure, it is quiet, but I like that as I am retired. We bought a big house with a first-floor master bedroom, and pleaty of room for guests and my hobbies and collections upstairs.

We have relatives in Magnolia Greens, and they are finding the rules very restrictive. No sheds if you live on the golf-course. You must park your cars in the garage every night, so you can't use the garage for storage. All mailboxes on the same side of the street, etc.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 20,783 times
Tell me please, i am so close a commitment to buy in St. James, but i am sooooooooooooo worried because it is so close to the new brunswick nuclear reactor. my husband and if are questioning the
safety and logic of such a move especially after japan. same kind of facility, and although we don't get quakes or tsunamis .................

Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura donnell View Post
Tell me please, i am so close a commitment to buy in St. James, but i am sooooooooooooo worried because it is so close to the new brunswick nuclear reactor. my husband and if are questioning the
safety and logic of such a move especially after japan. same kind of facility, and although we don't get quakes or tsunamis .................

youll be fine (as several of us reassured you on another thread)

think of it this way... if there WERE a SERIOUS issue - do you really think being 3,5,7,10 even 20 miles away would REALLY make a difference?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

805 posts, read 2,004,318 times
Big Sue.... I have changed my mind..... if anyone is afraid of that nuclear power plant's proximity to St James / Wilmington..... they should really move where there are no plants, but that would limit their options to 11 states out west as there are about a half dozen plants in EVERY state from Maine to Florida and from the Atlantic ocean out to Kansas as the below map indicates. As was mentioned on the other thread, there are so many in each state that if any one of the plants on the east coast "goes kablooey", just like the one in Japan, the bad stuff it may spew will cover a lot more than 3 miles. Yep, I'm afraid the only way to be safe is to go to Colorado.... of course that is only if the plants in the surrounding states don't give out. So come to think of it..... there is NO place that is safe in the US.

So I still say a picnic in the plants' parking lot is in order.... then over to the Irish Pub "Slaints" in Southport for a nightcap..... you only live once.

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operatin...-reactors.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina