Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM

63 posts, read 228,568 times

Advertisements

So, I have been wanting to propose to my girlfriend for about 2 years now haha. I haven't because I haven't had the money to get the ring that I want. I am shooting for soon!!! (which this May was my deadline last year...missed that haha)

I have bounced around so many locations to do it at...from the most elaborate being in a private boat in Boston Harbor in MA.

Now I am thinking it isn't about how much money I can spend but how special I can make that moment.

What is the most secluded and romantic island at the outerbanks??

I am looking at a sunrise picnic on the beach....

PS..all you women out there, how cheesy is it that I want to make a scrap book of the all the exciting things we've done over the last 5 years??

At the beginning I was going to put a quote "we've experienced so many things together..." then have the pages filled with pictures of what we've done then on the next to last page "there is one thing we haven't experienced yet.." and have will you marry me on the next page and me be kneeling there with the "still too broke to buy" ring??

Just needing some pointers..my friends are lame and aren't giving me any good advice on whether this is romantic enough. COme on, would you say yes?!?! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,468 times
It doesn't necessarily have to be an island. What about at one of the lighthouses? It would make a great backdrop for pictures. And when you see pictures of it, you'll always remember that time.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:04 AM

good idea!!! I've never been to the outerbanks...I am just trying to think of where to stay (it will probably be a weekend trip) that has the most secluded beach and stuff. For a little privacy. Lighthouses are sweet, she's scared of heights tho..so no going inside haha

Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 AM

11 posts, read 68,284 times
I don't know all that much about the Outer Banks. I've only gone there on school field trips which did not include any romantic spots...hehe. Even so, I can say that the scrapbook is an absolutely touching idea. I have no doubt that the time, effort, and thought you put into this project will mean so much to her. I don't think you should waver on that point because I think that part will be truly special. After all, everything that you have experienced together has lead to this and I personally would just absolutely go crazy over seeing a man care enough about me to scrapbook our experiences. Maybe i'm a little cheesy at heart but I think it's great. Good job!!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 AM

Hatteras is my favorite of the lighthouses, and pretty much the most famous. They have an area with benches that you can sit on to look at it.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Dear VMD,
I used to go to Nags Head at the Outer Banks every summer, and even at the height of the season, at sunrise there are VERY few people on the beaches, walking around looking for shells (except near the piers where there seems to always be people). You could stay in a nice hotel right on the beach if you can find one not booked up... just north of Nags Head is Duck, there's a cute little outdoor boardwalk shopping area, not as many people on the beach, hope you can find a place to stay right there, I love that area (women like to shop). Plus the name of the place is so much fun!

Now, you could also stay down at Hatteras Village, and just north of it (between Nags Head and Hatteras) are miles and miles of parkland beaches with no dwellings and thus hardly anybody on the beaches. And your island idea, that would be down in the southern Outer Banks, even further south than Hatteras, but usually you got to take a very long ferry ride to get there, and I'm not sure about places to stay on the islands, you'll have to look online.

On the scrapbook thing, it's a fine idea, but I honestly think you should save that to review later. It's better to be brave and just go right in with the proposal. So, I think after you guys are settled and picnicking on a beach, the cue to do it is: Simply make a comment about how beautiful the spot is and immediately reach over and take her hand, and tell her she is just as beautiful, and by golly you can't make it without her, and then pull the ring out of your pocket and get on one knee and ask her to marry you, and put that ring on her finger. She'll be thrilled.

Do not let cost of the ring get in the way of this again... you can buy a relatively inexpensive engagement ring by getting a very small diamond in it, but with a stunning setting, and maybe with a couple less costly gems on either side in her favorite color, if she would like something different like that.
GG

Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I'd make it simple, as previously stated, and I'd go to B&B on Ocracoke Island. (It's a little more complicated to get there, but it would be a lovely place and a great place to return to.)

Don't drop the ring in the sand.

Ocracoke Island, North Carolina Visitor Information - The Official Website

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM

You could always do what a friend of mine did. Get a simple ring for now, and tell her you'll save to get her what she really wants in the future. A simple ring is better than no ring.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Dear VMD,
I'm with Brentwood and Coffeebean. Ocracoke might have some openings in their B&Bs, that was great info he give you. I've been on that island, and in addition to them having a sound sunset, as well as less-busy beaches on the ocean, they have the best seashells right when you arrive on the island from the Hatteras end, on the beach where the inlet comes through, but not to propose...just to find a shell. And you could get a cubic zirconia ring, they are set in gold and cost less than $100. I have one as my engagement ring, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. You later could get a wedding band with a few small diamonds embedded in it (more money ha!). By the way, I've enjoyed this thread, brings back memories of my trips to the beach and getting married. Best wishes to you and your soon-to-be fiancee!
GG

Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM

thanks for all the suggestions!! My parents have a timeshare at Nagshead...but only get it in November, and it's not that romantic but that is always an option. About the ring, I gave her a smaller diamond 3 years ago haha this is what I've supposed to have been saving up for..whoops. So I'd feel cheesy getting another small one and making her way 3 more years before I could get a bigger one! Maybe when we are 40 she'll have a rock! I know the rock doesn't matter but I guess its the whole American way BIGGER IS BETTER...haha.

Thanks again, I'm doing my research now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina