Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM

201 posts, read 611,702 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to that time when our economy looks a little bit brighter.

My question is, what type of business would citizens of Southport like to see added to their downtown? What is needed? I speak of a business started by an entrepreneur and his better half , a shoppe supported by the locals and not so dependent on summertime tourists while certainly not turning them away. A store that becomes a thread in the fabric of the community. You get the picture, a kind of place where Andy and Barney would stop into and have a cup a joe with the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,230 times
great question - i visited southport yesterday and was wondering the same thing. i fell in love with the place when i visited and fishy fishy makes GREAT dinners!!! first good seafood i've eaten in a long time, other than what i made myself.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM

116 posts, read 425,704 times
On the 211 road to Southport there is a popular store about half way that has a sign out front "Coffee and Worms". Use your imagination as to what they sell, but I'm sure people going fishing enjoy a cup of joe and a bag of worms to go!
Port City Java is in Southport but I don't know of another coffee shop, I wonder what a Dunkin Donut franchise would cost? Combine it with retail items, like newspapers, magazines, candy, light lunches to go?
Anyway, thats what I'd be looking for when I go to Southport!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
I would say that a lot is needed. there isn't too much there. depends on what you want. I am sure that you could start a business doing just about anything down there.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,230 times
so paulie, i would say you have some ideas so what are you thinking of? there's several properties i looked at - one on e. moore street - another on howe - another closer to the waterfront but on a side street (maybe howe) - the old wachovia building - all seemed to run around 1.00 a square foot with square footage ranging from 1100 to 3100. Crossed my mind that maybe several people going in together to do something might make a go of a larger building.

So love to just brainstorm if you are interested - i'm just in the thinking stages but do think southport is delightful - have friends that sell real estate and also live there so think i'll be treating them to a cup of coffee shortly (without the worms) and see what they think

perhaps i'll see you in southport at some point - and maybe even andy and barney will show up! (don't invite aunt b - i heard that she really is a .....)
tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Looking forward to that time when our economy looks a little bit brighter.

My question is, what type of business would citizens of Southport like to see added to their downtown? What is needed? I speak of a business started by an entrepreneur and his better half , a shoppe supported by the locals and not so dependent on summertime tourists while certainly not turning them away. A store that becomes a thread in the fabric of the community. You get the picture, a kind of place where Andy and Barney would stop into and have a cup a joe with the owner.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,258 times
Default Things needed in Southport

Some more great restaurants. The areas up toward South Harbour Village there are some areas up there for possible restaurants. You will get the traffic from Oak Island as well as the neighbors in the communities there as well. There are only two restaurants in that particular area. I own a townhome in Village Green in South Harbour.

Monica

Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
I would not mind seeing supermarkets Harris Teeter and Publix in Southport.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM

183 posts, read 287,503 times
Google Maps will show you the businesses that Southport has currently.

Also check out Downtown Southport, Inc (DSI),
Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce
and the FB group that I administer, Southport, NC Locals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina