Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

New pic of uptown
I've noticed this whole "uptown" thing but where is the downtown? Was this just branding or did there used to be another commercial district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
I've noticed this whole "uptown" thing but where is the downtown? Was this just branding or did there used to be another commercial district?
Essentially it's just branding, most of us still call it downtown. Uptown has the same exact boundaries as downtown, so it's nothing different at all.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
It's Uptown when there's progress in development or when there is a festival. It's downtown when there's a shooting, a robbery, a rape, or an umbrella-wielding assassin.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
It's Uptown when there's progress in development or when there is a festival. It's downtown when there's a shooting, a robbery, a rape, or an umbrella-wielding assassin.
Sadly, that's true. They attempt to give 'uptown' a better name than downtown.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
They feel as though if they change the name, people will feel better about the area. It's not working for me and mine. It's kinda like calling the whole of NC east of I-95 Down East. I can't stand that and prefer to call it Eastern Carolina.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
What is the problem in reducing the rental supply? If supply is reduced, then demand (and better quality residents) would come.
Not necessarily. At best all it accomplishes is pushing affordable housing to nearby towns, since someone will pick up the slack. At worst what happens if the housing stock nearby becomes unaffordable enough employers will set up worker slums far worse than any cheap rentals, and the attendant social problems that come with them. It's basic mechanics of a captive market.

If we're talking about getting rid of vacants and existing slums, then that's alright; the market isn't significantly changed. But like I said, that level of centralized developmental control can be used in an arbitrary fashion to artificially reduce stock and it always backfires.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Not necessarily. At best all it accomplishes is pushing affordable housing to nearby towns, since someone will pick up the slack. At worst what happens if the housing stock nearby becomes unaffordable enough employers will set up worker slums far worse than any cheap rentals, and the attendant social problems that come with them. It's basic mechanics of a captive market.

If we're talking about getting rid of vacants and existing slums, then that's alright; the market isn't significantly changed. But like I said, that level of centralized developmental control can be used in an arbitrary fashion to artificially reduce stock and it always backfires.
I can only worry about Greenville. They can all move to Kinston for all I care.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Essentially it's just branding, most of us still call it downtown. Uptown has the same exact boundaries as downtown, so it's nothing different at all.
In the daytime, its Uptown. At night, its Downtown.

Just my observation, not official.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
I can only worry about Greenville. They can all move to Kinston for all I care.
In the case of Greenville, they'll just move to Winterville or the immediate outlying rural areas, which in effect keeps the problem in the Greenville area. All it does is shift the part of town people don't want to go to from one area to the other. In a service-based economy, absent paying workers higher wages on par with what they make in the EU or Canada or getting rid of all the restaurants, gas stations, and stores, there'll always be a need for affordable housing. You can't wish it away or get around it.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
In the case of Greenville, they'll just move to Winterville or the immediate outlying rural areas, which in effect keeps the problem in the Greenville area. All it does is shift the part of town people don't want to go to from one area to the other. In a service-based economy, absent paying workers higher wages on par with what they make in the EU or Canada or getting rid of all the restaurants, gas stations, and stores, there'll always be a need for affordable housing. You can't wish it away or get around it.
I'm thinking that wasn't the segment of the population that he's wishing away. Think a little lower on the economic ladder. The crime problem in Greenville isn't caused by the working poor. It's caused by lazy good for nothings that come here from the country to do their crime and those that live in the city but are unemployable whether due to their laziness or some other factor. We've had criminals come from as far away as Raleigh just to stick up our gas stations and fast food joints. A few years ago there was one guy from Tarboro that did like 15 stickups here one summer before they caught him. Williamston is another place they like to come from just to hold up a Greenville store.

Most of the bad guys in Greenville are more into breakins and car thefts. Oh, and the gang element is largely into killing one another too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina