Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times

Advertisements

Anyone else been out near Vidant Medical Center recently? I drove by there the other day and it looks really awesome now that the children's hospital is nearly finished. I just wish they would do something about making the main entrance look more like the other newer buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Not surprising, but the Blockbuster is closing. I am surprised it lasted this long.

Employees Say Greenville & Kinston Blockbuster Locations Closing

EDIT: It is only the one on Charles Blvd. I forgot about that one. I just assumed it was the Greenville Blvd one.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

327 posts, read 603,458 times
Anybody here remember the department store, Nichols? It used to be where the Greenville Convention Center is now.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Anybody here remember the department store, Nichols? It used to be where the Greenville Convention Center is now.
I remember it being a dump. Why do you ask?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM

286 posts, read 653,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
I've got fond memories of that place as a kid.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times

I had no clue this was considered a park already, its called River North Park. I'm not sure if these are the exact boundaries of the park but I think MrBojangles proposed the idea of having the Town Commons essentially switched over to that side of the river, and I think that's a good idea now since this park already exists and its far larger than the existing Town Commons/Park.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
That side of the river is mostly wetland and really muddy though, isn't it? They'd have to build a bulkhead on the river bank, drain and fill the land and doze the tree cover. Also there's a bunch of transmission lines running across it about 3-400 yd north of the river. There's a reason why Memorial, Pitt, and Greene are elevated and bridges there.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

I had no clue this was considered a park already, its called River North Park. I'm not sure if these are the exact boundaries of the park but I think MrBojangles proposed the idea of having the Town Commons essentially switched over to that side of the river, and I think that's a good idea now since this park already exists and its far larger than the existing Town Commons/Park.
River Park North is a very nice place to walk and enjoy nature. Especially since it is so close to everything.

IIRC, that parcel was deeded to ECU in the 1970s. Then ECU gave? it to the City, and now we have a park. I am not sure of the specifics. But it is a great place. I have even seen deer in there.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Well, River Park North actually is pretty nice already. It has a lot of trees already and lots of good spots for fishing. Not that much really needs to be done to it except maybe adding a couple more trails and it might be nice to clear out some of the trees near the river but it would be nice to still leave some near the river. It would be a better use of the park space and they could build a pedestrian bridge or maybe even two so that you still would have the greenway access. But if the town commons was moved over to River Park North then it would be a great idea because that land already can't really be used for much since it's in the flood plain. Although if they did develop the land that the current town commons is on right now it would be nice to leave a little bit of land between the river and the shops, hotel, offices, apartments, etc that could still be a path along the river and would still give downtown some greenspace.

Last edited by piratesrock; 01-23-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
New Radar Sensors Help Greenville Traffic Flow Better

Greenville is using a new traffic flow system at a couple of intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina