Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 285,231 times

Advertisements

Nope didn't get lost, but I think you have. Los Vegas is a fairly new community. Only recently did they really begin with housing development there. So, do to its 'newnest' in this regard the housing tracks are well manicured and the homes in great condition. The strip never has trash laying around either. Run down older neighbors are there but the city is clean - not morally however. You have been right? Doesn't sound like it.
Wilmington is dirty. We saw trash agor, almost every shopping center the buildings were dirty. The neighborhoods looked like the gittos. Or the gangbanging neighborhoods of LA.
The tourest go to the historic distric and leave the rest for the people that live there to trash it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 AM

237 posts, read 914,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Daisy View Post
I agree with you 100%! Wilmington is being taken over by New York/New Jersey retirees, and now it is the highest place to live in North Carolina. It has become crowded, and the traffic is ridiculous. It isn't the town that I remember anymore, and I am so sad about it that I am sick. My parents live there now, but if they were moving there now they wouldn't be able to afford a home. Everything is expensive. Move to Burgaw in Pender County.
check out the jersey shore you will faint I meacondos over a mil. and with taxes of 20 k a year that makes wilmington dirt cheap thats the attraction plus way better weather. just bought 3 condos there for less than 1 up north .

Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 111,076 times
Default Wilmington, NC

Wilmington is a great place... but you have to know where to move.

Stay away from Downtown and Forest Hills if you have kids... bascially move into the residential 28409 zip and you have good schools and access to everything.

I have moved here from CT in 1999 and it is wonderful. No complaints! But moving to a good, family residential neighborhood is key! Look at Oxford Place, Woodberry Forest, Holly Tree etc... wonderful places. For elementary kids, there are reasonable private schools if you prefer... New Horizons for 1-5 grades, Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences for 6-8 grades, and my daughter loved J.T. Hoggard HS. We have had only wonderful experiences here. It really is location, location, location.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 67,057 times
Default live in Wilmington

I grew up in Denver CO. and moved to Wilmington almost 10 years ago. It's a really fun place to live, especially if you like living close to water. Wilmington is wedged between the Cape Fear river and the Intercoastal Waterway (and Atlantic Ocean). By boat you can fish, eat at a water-front resturant(both Downtown and on the waterway), or find your own barrier island to just hang out on. There's a good selection of resturants to choose from in and around Wilmington. There are plenty of nightclubs and bars Downtown, and in nearby Wrightsville Beach. If you want a change of pace, Myrtle Beach is 1 hour away, Cary and Ralligh is two hours, Charleston SC and Savannah GA are 3 and 4 hours away.We are very fortunate to live in a great neighborhood called Wooderry Forrest, but prices for homes have almost doubled since we bought it. Just like any city there are some rougher areas, but far more good places to live. We also have a great University, UNCW.
OK, some bad things: The traffic sucks, and the drivers are a mix of young students and older retirees. The streets weren't designed for this much traffic and it will continue to get worse. The city is also facing sewage pipe problems, and for a while put a stop to all new construction, but they are currently working on it. Coming from Denver, I wish there was a better environment for cyclists, not a good place to get around on a bicycle.
Overall, the people are nice and I love the laid-back lifestyle, I guess that's why people keep moving here!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 75,623 times
WE visited Wilmington, NC last week and took our grandchildren. We loved the area are and are thinking of moving there if we ever leave Belhaven, NC (on the ICW). I would reccomend giving it a try.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 73,349 times
Another place to consider is the Ogden and/or Middle Sound area. It is close to Wrightsville Beach and easy access to downtown Wilmington. However, it has still kept some of the out of the way feel.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:49 AM

69 posts, read 453,905 times
I just moved to the Ogden area and it is really nice. Nice place to raise a family I would think. And a quick 15 minute trip to Downtown and 10 minutes to the Beach. Like others have said, with a family the only place you really wouldn't want to live would be downtown. Other than that, I think Wilmington is amazing!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 AM

49 posts, read 335,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
I just moved to the Ogden area and it is really nice. Nice place to raise a family I would think. And a quick 15 minute trip to Downtown and 10 minutes to the Beach. Like others have said, with a family the only place you really wouldn't want to live would be downtown. Other than that, I think Wilmington is amazing!

What about the other side of Wilmington--on the Brunswick side towards Southport? I read only bad wraps about it from the usual posters on these boards that are negative on all things Wilmington. What's another resident's perspective?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 PM

49 posts, read 335,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtontruth View Post
Wilmington is horrible. The traffic is the most dangerous in the state:New Hanover still rides danger road | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

What few good jobs there are pay lower than average:Andrea Payne: Physician assistant, around $85,000 | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

People are rude and it is impossible to get anything repaired at home.

Replies like this make me wonder... I could say the similar things about Charlotte. I can't stand it and want to leave, but it has some appeal to the 85,000 folks that moved here last year. The same must be true of Wilmington!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
Replies like this make me wonder... I could say the similar things about Charlotte. I can't stand it and want to leave, but it has some appeal to the 85,000 folks that moved here last year. The same must be true of Wilmington!
Well I've lived in both places, CharlottaPA. If you think of Charlotte like four quadrants (North is the college area, north of there [Huntersville etc] is nice with some pockets of icky, South is the nicer side of town but again has some pockets of questionable living, East used to be a nice, family-friendly area, but is now mostly sketchy. West... well.... lock your doors.

That's the same with Wilmington. It has its pockets. It's no different than Anywhere, USA. There are good pockets and not-so-good pockets. Traffic sucks, yes. But it does in Charlotte, Raleigh and other points in NC. We're a growing state and the government isn't doing enough to keep up. When they do try, it's overturned by the public outcries because it costs us more money to accomodate that growth.

Also, I think Charlotte's crime rate is way worse than Wilmington. Totally my two cents.

I, too, have young children and my primary focus is researching the school system. Once I have that data, I break down my housing search in that school district and seek the best neighborhood that fits my budget.

However, there is the option of private or home schooling and you can pick whatever neighborhood strikes your fancy.

City Data is good for general information. Don't take it all as truth. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. In person. Not based on what you read here. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina