Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 25,461 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Outer Banks later this year and so I am looking for any leads on jobs or places to live. My past work experience revolves around sales, hotels and restaurants/bars. I spent 11 years in Southern California working around the Disneyland area, so I am accustomed to the tourist industry. Any help would be great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 AM

787 posts, read 3,584,469 times
I will tell you like I told someone else. You are a brave soul moving to the Outer Banks with hurricane season about a month away. But the area is great. Unfortunately you could probably get more off the internet about jobs and housing than I could tell you. Just let me say this, if you move there and the authorities tell you to evacuate, don't ask why. Just do it. I don't think there is but one road out and in at some of the places. And you can bet getting out is a lot harder that getting into the place.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 AM

51 posts, read 194,705 times
Wild horse cafe in Corolla and SunSuds both offered me a job if I came back in MAy. Its seasonal work though. Corolla is in the northern most area of OTB. It is gorgeous and has never had a hurricane. yes, only one rd in, RTE 12 and that road ends in Corolla. There is no access from Va., other than going down and back up rte 12 to Corolla.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:30 PM

192 posts, read 655,052 times
Quote:
It is gorgeous and has never had a hurricane

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY FALSE. YIKES!!!

I cannot imagine how to even begin to count the vast numbers of hurricanes & violent nor'easters that Corolla, NC has experienced.

Last edited by luckydog; 04-28-2006 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,469 times
North Carolina is one of the most hurricane prone states there is. I believe it ranks third after Florida and Texas but I would have to check to make sure. But because of the Outer Banks jutting out there, they are right in the way of hurricanes that take a sharp western turn and run up the East Coast. Lot of people manage there but it is just a little more than I can handle. I am as close as I intend on getting to coast and that is some 90 miles inland from Wilmington and Morehead City.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,964 times
My guess is landlocked waverider is moving there BECAUSE of the hurricanes...ain't ya Landlocked! If you like hospitality work there is plenty of it in the Nags Head and KDH area. It gets flat there but hurricane season can be very good. The best scenario is a hurricane that stalls between bermuda and hatteras. In the winter Northeaster's bring heavy surf as well. Sometimes you can catch a nice wrap and warmer water temps on the Southern facing shores of Ocracoke and Hatteras islands.
The big deal is to hit the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico in the winter, or go to Costa rica. Have fun!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 PM

104 posts, read 573,914 times
Default Dittt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I will tell you like I told someone else. You are a brave soul moving to the Outer Banks with hurricane season about a month away. But the area is great. Unfortunately you could probably get more off the internet about jobs and housing than I could tell you. Just let me say this, if you move there and the authorities tell you to evacuate, don't ask why. Just do it. I don't think there is but one road out and in at some of the places. And you can bet getting out is a lot harder that getting into the place.
And, that road often floods making evacuation impossible after a certain point. A word to the wise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina