Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times

Advertisements

I’m kinda partial to popscicles and For No Apparent Reason.

Downtown Goldsboro Celebrates New Artworks (PHOTO GALLERY) - Goldsboro Daily NewsGoldsboro Daily News

Last edited by LM117; 10-14-2018 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 AM

The opening of the new O’Berry Road overpass on US-117/Future I-795 has been pushed back to December due to Hurricane Florence.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/o-ber...0c943da5c.html

Quote:
The planned reopening this month of O’Berry Road has been pushed back to early December because of Hurricane Florence.

The road closed a year ago this month so that crews with S.T. Wooten could construct an interchange taking it over U.S. 117 at Dudley. Just south of that project work continues on construction of an interchange at U.S. 117 and Country Club Road.

“We are going to build U.S. 117 over Country Club Road, so we will need to divert the traffic off U.S. 117,” said state Department of Transportation spokesman Andrew Barksdale. “We call it an on-site detour. We are going to send the U.S. 117 traffic, in both directions, onto the newly paved on and off ramps at the Country Club Road intersection.”

That shift will either be later this month or early November, he said.

“We still need to do a little more paving,” Barksdale said. “They will use that pattern for at least six months, until we open the new interchange at Country Club Road, sometime next summer.”

The bridge and interchange at O’Berry Road are not quite finished, he said.

“We still need to install a rail on the bridge and groove out the bridge deck, which is the driving surface,” Barksdale said. “By grooving, we install tiny lines in the concrete to help give the drivers better traction, especially when it rains. We also have to pave the final layer of asphalt on some of the ramps at this interchange, then put down pavement markings, or lane striping.”

Additionally, a southbound lane of U.S. 117 needs to be widened to meet the on and off ramps at the new interchange. Work has been underway since August 2017 on the interchange at U.S. 117 and O’Berry Road. Work on the Country Club Road project started this past January.

Both projects are scheduled for completion by October 2019, with additional work including vegetation and reforestation possibly continuing through March 2020. The two projects will cost an estimated $20.6 million.

The interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as an Interstate in this area.

Both intersections already carry an average of 15,000 vehicles per day, and that number is expected to increase to more than 27,000 per day by 2037, according to DOT data.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Sears has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is closing 142 stores by the end of the year and Goldsboro’s store is on the list. Liquidation sales to begin within 2 weeks.

Not good for a small mall like Berkeley...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/

Old 10-17-2018, 04:37 AM

A countywide 1/4-cent sales tax increase is going to be on the ballot in November.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/commi...55852d7d5.html

Meanwhile, city councilman Antonio Williams has been booted off the Goldsboro-Wayne Transportation Authority board...

https://www.newsargus.com/news/counc...192fd2485.html

Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 AM

275 posts, read 330,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Sears has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is closing 142 stores by the end of the year and Goldsboro’s store is on the list. Liquidation sales to begin within 2 weeks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1645971002/
I'm gonna miss that Sears. Every time when I was growing up we went to Berkeley we always went through Sears. Before I can get excited about going to Gamestop/EB Games or FYE, We always wanted to start at Sears. Heck I remember when the electronics section was just a right at the entrance, that's how long I've been going to this Sears. Ah well when it starts I'm gonna find time to swing to Goldsboro and hit up some sells.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I'm gonna miss that Sears. Every time when I was growing up we went to Berkeley we always went through Sears. Before I can get excited about going to Gamestop/EB Games or FYE, We always wanted to start at Sears. Heck I remember when the electronics section was just a right at the entrance, that's how long I've been going to this Sears. Ah well when it starts I'm gonna find time to swing to Goldsboro and hit up some sells.
Same here. I have fond memories there growing up. We always went in the mall either through Sears or JCPenney because the parking lot in front of the main entrance is such a nightmare. I went there last year for the first time in nearly 10 years and I barely recognized it. I knew right then that it would be lucky to make it another year. Well, here we are a year later and it’s closing. I’m visiting a friend in Goldsboro during the first week of November, so I’ll drop by Sears one last time.

I’m just wondering how much losing Sears will hurt the mall...that mall is small to begin with and now it will only have 2 anchor stores. I hope the Sears space doesn’t stay empty long.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM

275 posts, read 330,502 times
Quote:
Same here. I have fond memories there growing up. We always went in the mall either through Sears or JCPenney because the parking lot in front of the main entrance is such a nightmare. I went there last year for the first time in nearly 10 years and I barely recognized it. I knew right then that it would be lucky to make it another year. Well, here we are a year later and it’s closing. I’m visiting a friend in Goldsboro during the first week of November, so I’ll drop by Sears one last time.

I’m just wondering how much losing Sears will hurt the mall...that mall is small to begin with and now it will only have 2 anchor stores. I hope the Sears space doesn’t stay empty long.
Maybe Kolhs might take the space?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:

You won't even notice it. Google Street View was shot there just a couple of months ago (July). The parking lot in front of Sears is empty while the rest of the parking lot in front of the rest of the mall looks to be pretty busy. It'll just be an empty storefront. The mall has already adjusted.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You won't even notice it. Google Street View was shot there just a couple of months ago (July). The parking lot in front of Sears is empty while the rest of the parking lot in front of the rest of the mall looks to be pretty busy. It'll just be an empty storefront. The mall has already adjusted.
Yeah, I just saw it on Streetview. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Sears that empty before. I went to the mall last December and it seemed to be doing ok, though I’ve noticed a tenant or two moved to the new strip at the corner of Cashwell Drive and Berkeley Blvd, while Rue21 relocated to the mall from a shopping center further up the road.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 AM

The results of an economic study of last month’s NC Poultry Festival have been released.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/n-c-p...9868af0b7.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina