Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times

Advertisements

I checked the search function and couldn't find much on this. Essentially, I have a potential job opportunity in New Bern while at the same time have the opportunity to rent on Emerald Isle for a very reduced rate. I understand that in winter there is not much going on in Emerald Isle, and some of the cautions about living there, but what I really want to know is whether it is reasonably practical to commute between the two places as I haven't done the drive enough to know and I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck with an terrible commute.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
... what I really want to know is whether it is reasonably practical to commute between the two places as I haven't done the drive enough to know and I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck with an terrible commute.
I remember references to traffic in Havelock. But there is a way to avoid that traffic, using 58 through the Croatoan Forest. (Google maps shows you 3 routes.) I personally wouldn't want to do a trip which is about 48 miles and over an hour. I would also be concerned about the isolation of the road through the Croatoan Forest. If you have a car break-down there, how long would it take to get a service truck?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
HWY 58 to Hwy 17 to New Bern. You'll experience some country roads and small country towns but its a pleasant drive.
Personally-I would probably go east on HWY 24 then either turn on 9 mile or Hibbs road to HWY 70 and then straight to New Bern. If you go down 9 mile road you can by-pass Havelock.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
I checked the search function and couldn't find much on this. Essentially, I have a potential job opportunity in New Bern while at the same time have the opportunity to rent on Emerald Isle for a very reduced rate. I understand that in winter there is not much going on in Emerald Isle, and some of the cautions about living there, but what I really want to know is whether it is reasonably practical to commute between the two places as I haven't done the drive enough to know and I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck with an terrible commute.

Thanks
Even without traffic, a 100 mile / day commute would be terrible to most people.. The country roads in rural NC can be very narrow 55 mph single lane highways that make your knuckles clench when coming opposite a wide 18 wheeler...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
To avoid country roads then drive HWY 24 (5 lanes) turn north on Hibbs road-(2 lanes but for only 2 miles) then HWY 70 (4 lanes) to New Bern. It is a lot of miles anyway you look at it. But this route, with the exception of 2 miles is nothing buy major HWY.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
It can be done, but it won't be long until you are sorry. It is just too long. Please don't think you will like the commute, you will not.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Thank you for all of the advice, if it were not for the rent savings I would not even consider it but for that reason it is a difficult choice, assuming I go with the job. I don't expect it to be particularly enjoyable but it is a matter of saving hundreds of dollars a month so I really need to consider it, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect. Special thanks to Bill for the route suggestions.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Most anyone that goes to Emerald Isle takes 17 to Maysville and turns. I don't think its a bad commute at all really, because there is no traffic, except in the summer.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I remember references to traffic in Havelock. But there is a way to avoid that traffic, using 58 through the Croatoan Forest. (Google maps shows you 3 routes.) I personally wouldn't want to do a trip which is about 48 miles and over an hour. I would also be concerned about the isolation of the road through the Croatoan Forest. If you have a car break-down there, how long would it take to get a service truck?
That is along horrible drive. Maybe due to the lack of scenery, even any real country scenery. I remember back when me and my wife were dating we were in Morehead City at her father's house, she suggested we take a "shortcut" to her mother's house in Rhems (between New Bern and Pollocksville on US 17). That was the longest drive ever. Turns out it was a shortcut in her mind only because she grew up in Maysville, which it is a quicker route to. I think she just wanted to spend more time in the car with me. I still tease her about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Most anyone that goes to Emerald Isle takes 17 to Maysville and turns. I don't think its a bad commute at all really, because there is no traffic, except in the summer.
I disagree with this. Most people West of New Bern pick up 58 in Kinston off of 70 and take that in. Most people in New Bern don't go to Emeral SIle, they are more apt to go to Atlantic Beach at the other end of the Island. I reckon the few that frequent Emerald Isle would go that way, depending on where in New Bern they lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
To avoid country roads then drive HWY 24 (5 lanes) turn north on Hibbs road-(2 lanes but for only 2 miles) then HWY 70 (4 lanes) to New Bern. It is a lot of miles anyway you look at it. But this route, with the exception of 2 miles is nothing buy major HWY.
If you want to avoid country roads this would be the best routes, but 9 mile road will largely or completely bypass Havelock altogether. It's the suggested route on google maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...us&mra=ls&z=12

It's not as long as 58 and a fun road to drive, IMO. Even if you don't take the whole thing and hop off at 9 ft >MAson Town >Tom Mann rd it would shave time versus Hibbs.

Quote:
Thank you for all of the advice, if it were not for the rent savings I would not even consider it but for that reason it is a difficult choice, assuming I go with the job. I don't expect it to be particularly enjoyable but it is a matter of saving hundreds of dollars a month so I really need to consider it, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect. Special thanks to Bill for the route suggestions.
Where exactly in New Bern would the job be at. I ight have a couple more route suggestions that may save you time depending on where the job is located.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Where exactly in New Bern would the job be at. I ight have a couple more route suggestions that may save you time depending on where the job is located.
It is pretty much in the center of town right around Tryon palace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina