Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,339,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Thank you for all of the advice, if it were not for the rent savings I would not even consider it but for that reason it is a difficult choice, assuming I go with the job. I don't expect it to be particularly enjoyable but it is a matter of saving hundreds of dollars a month so I really need to consider it, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect. Special thanks to Bill for the route suggestions.
Make sure the fuel consumption and added wear and tear on the car is part of your cost comparison.

100 miles / day * 5 = 500 / week * 4 = 2000 miles per month...

I did a commute like this and it got old... fast.. depending on the gas mileage you get it's a good chunk. Add to this the added danger of being on the road for a greater amount of time each day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,428,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Make sure the fuel consumption and added wear and tear on the car is part of your cost comparison.

100 miles / day * 5 = 500 / week * 4 = 2000 miles per month...

I did a commute like this and it got old... fast.. depending on the gas mileage you get it's a good chunk. Add to this the added danger of being on the road for a greater amount of time each day..
I am aware of that.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM

3,094 posts, read 4,937,864 times
I disagree with this. Most people West of New Bern pick up 58 in Kinston off of 70 and take that in. Most people in New Bern don't go to Emeral SIle, they are more apt to go to Atlantic Beach at the other end of the Island. I reckon the few that frequent Emerald Isle would go that way, depending on where in New Bern they lived.

Sure if you were "west" of New Bern you could do that... I was referencing plenty of folks I knew from Greenville that would go to Emerald Isle for the Beach Music Festival back in the day...as well as a beach house I went to. You would go to New Bern and stay on 17 to Maysville, turn left and it takes you straight into Emerald Isle. If you were going to Atlantic Beach you would get on 70....but no one would go to Morehead City and then turn on 24, that's not only way out of the way, but also puts you in traffic on 70.

There is relatively little traffic using 17 and no lights once you are past the New Bern bypass, except for the light in Maysville. To me, that makes it doable, because no lights=consistent travel and less effort. To me its not that bad of a commute, folks in Charlotte and Raleigh commute 30-45 minutes around town and have to deal with all kinds of traffic.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,062,761 times
Drive 9 mile road a few times and the fun tends to go away. 9 mile road, which happens to be something like 13-14 miles long is a 2 lane country road. It has areas of twisting curves and areas of long straight-a-ways. As a result, 9 mile road is known for speeders and single car accidents.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,946,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I disagree with this. Most people West of New Bern pick up 58 in Kinston off of 70 and take that in. Most people in New Bern don't go to Emeral SIle, they are more apt to go to Atlantic Beach at the other end of the Island. I reckon the few that frequent Emerald Isle would go that way, depending on where in New Bern they lived.

Sure if you were "west" of New Bern you could do that... I was referencing plenty of folks I knew from Greenville that would go to Emerald Isle for the Beach Music Festival back in the day...as well as a beach house I went to. You would go to New Bern and stay on 17 to Maysville, turn left and it takes you straight into Emerald Isle. If you were going to Atlantic Beach you would get on 70....but no one would go to Morehead City and then turn on 24, that's not only way out of the way, but also puts you in traffic on 70.

There is relatively little traffic using 17 and no lights once you are past the New Bern bypass, except for the light in Maysville. To me, that makes it doable, because no lights=consistent travel and less effort. To me its not that bad of a commute, folks in Charlotte and Raleigh commute 30-45 minutes around town and have to deal with all kinds of traffic.

I can see taking that route, coming from Greenville. Now a days you don't even have to touch New Bern coming from Greenville to EI, with the new bypass. Back inthe day you didn't either if you knew what you were doing (Go thourgh CLarks over by the industrial park and come out at Rhems on 17). I still think actually being in New Bern is different and the preferred route is the one through Havelock for Bogue Banks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Drive 9 mile road a few times and the fun tends to go away. 9 mile road, which happens to be something like 13-14 miles long is a 2 lane country road. It has areas of twisting curves and areas of long straight-a-ways. As a result, 9 mile road is known for speeders and single car accidents.
I've driven it often, but not daily. I have known several people who have, typically because they work in Jacksonville and live in Havelock or vice versa. Speaking of which here is pro tip. Despite the Havelock stoplights, it's actually quicker to pick up US 70 at Tom Mann Rd between Havelock and Newport than to drive the entire length of 9 mile until it becomes Lake rd and intersects with Miller Blvd/Greenfield Heights in Havelock. I told one of my co-workers this , who actually lives in the Lake Rd area of Havelock and would just shoot up the entire length of 9 mile to our job in Jacksonville, he tried it out and was shocked to find it to be true. I'd love to be able to still use 9 mile rd when I have to go Havelock for work, but can't in a Government vehicle. It's 8.3 Miles from 9 mile Rd to the end of Tom Mann where Oceanside Auto is. Granted using Hibbs Rd is 8.9 miles to the same point.

Quote:
It is pretty much in the center of town right around Tryon palace.
Outside of taking 70, whether Hibbs Rd or 9 mile, if you do take the 58/17 route, you ahve the option of using Island Creek Rd/Brices Creek Rd (name changes when you cross county lines) in Pollocksville. All things equal it will be about the same as taking 17 al lthe wa in, but if your commute is occurring during a time of high traffic Island Creek will be quicker. It's another fun road if you like driving, and has some nice views along it to break up the monotony. You'll avoid the stop and go traffic on 17 in New Bern. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...via=1&t=m&z=12

Last edited by macjr82; 11-12-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,817,401 times
One more time, do not do this.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,260,837 times
Quote:
I checked the search function and couldn't find much on this. Essentially, I have a potential job opportunity in New Bern while at the same time have the opportunity to rent on Emerald Isle for a very reduced rate. I understand that in winter there is not much going on in Emerald Isle, and some of the cautions about living there, but what I really want to know is whether it is reasonably practical to commute between the two places as I haven't done the drive enough to know and I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck with an terrible commute.
It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. My BIL lives in Emerald Isle and commutes to New Bern for work. All things considered (amount of time, cost of gas, vehicle wear and tear), I wouldn't do it unless I was making a significant amount of money.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,722 times
I've lived in New Bern and worked in Cape Carteret, and lived in Swansboro and worked in New Bern. Hwy58 to 17 is not a bad drive. Traffic is pretty much non-existent. It picks up as you enter New Bern, but just get off 17 and onto Trent Road and you will be fine. The only issue is how far into Emerald Isle you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina