Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,358 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken an offer from Camp Lejeune and it looks like we will be relocating there later this year. We have two children (10 months, and 3) and are mostly interested in schooling and crime rates. We are looking for somewhere close to the base with good schools and low crime rates. Low crime rates are really important to us as we would be able to send the kids to private schools if the public system is lacking. I would like a family friendly area that has a lot to offer for families with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross4545 View Post
We are looking for somewhere close to the base with good schools and low crime rates.
I'd suggest looking at Swansboro which is close to the main gate. There are new communities being built there, and I'd look at one in the Queen's Creek Elementary School district. That school gets a 7 out of 10 at Greatschools and has some good parent review.

If you look at the C-D profile of Swansboro, you would see a higher than average crime rate. However, the huge majority of it is theft and burglary, probably mostly from vacant vacation homes. The violent crime is very low. The whole of eastern NC has problems with drugs like meth and oxycontin, but hopefully, that would not affect school age children.

Alternatively, Cape Carteret is a little further away from Camp Lejeune, but it has a lower crime rate. It also has a 7 rated elementary school. The taxes are probably lower in Carteret County than in Onslow County.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
I would agree with Goldenage1 and second looking at Swansboro or Cape Carteret as opposed to Jacksonville.

Swansboro is an adorable little town and I'm actually surprised that crime rates are higher than average, it's always felt safer than Jacksonville to me, plus it seems to be more family friendly. I definitely think that, as Goldenage1 said, it's most likely thefts from Vacation rentals which shove the property crime rate up. Cape Carteret on the other hand has a lower crime rate than Swansboro, and is on par with Jacksonville as far as crime goes (still above the national average though).

I lived in Jacksonville for a little over 4 years and honestly wouldn't wish it on anyone. Although I never had any problems with property crime, being such a 'young' city (age wise the youngest in the U.S. because of Camp Lejeune) I definitely saw more than my fair share of shennanigans. I lived in 3 suburbs in Jacksonville in the time I was there, and there really is a lot of immaturity and not much sense of community. If I hadn't been working in Jacksonville and if my husband wasn't adamant on being 5 minutes from the main gate, I would definitely have preferred to have lived in Swansboro.

Although there aren't any big box stores such as Walmart or Malls in Swansboro or Cape Carteret (you'd need to go to Morehead City or Jacksonville for that kind of thing) your basic needs will be well covered.

As far as schools go, on Greatschools it appears that schools in Carteret County are ranked higher than those in Swansboro. Schools in Jacksonville vary greatly, with as low a rating as a 3 to as high as an 8.

When it comes to having a 'lot to offer', it really depends what you're into. For me, the region of coastal NC surrounding Jacksonville was a total bust. If it hadn't been for my husband being in the Marine Corps it's definitely not a place I'd choose to live or raise a family (we just moved away in December when he finished his enlistment). HOWEVER depending on what kinds of things you enjoy, it may still suit you.

The pluses / family friendly amenities available within an hour of Swansboro / Cape Carteret would include:

-Beaches (Emerald Isle is my favorite, even though I'm not much of a beach person)
-Water slides near the beach on Emerald Isle
-Mini Golf (Pine Knoll Shores I think? Just a bit further north of EI)
-Aquarium (Pine Knoll Shores)
-Hammock Beach State Park (for kayaking, canoeing, etc)
-Golfin Dolphin (Cape Carteret- it has Putt Putt & Go Karts, not my kind of thing but kids would enjoy it)
-Mac Daddy's (Cape Carteret- 10 Pin Bowling & Amusement Center, again not my kind of thing but would be good for kids bday parties)
-Maritime Museum (Beaufort, NC- pretty neat, has artifacts from Blackbeard's Ship the Queen Anne's Revenge)
-Tryon Palace (New Bern, NC- historic site, a recreation of the 1700s Governor's Mansion + lovely gardens)

Plus, if you're willing to venture further afield for day trips, downtown Wilmington is about 1 hour 30 to 1 hour 45 from Cape Carteret and has historic sites, a museum, and battleship USS North Carolina. Plus, it has the best malls in the region (Mayfair Town Center and Independence Mall). It also offers some nice little history tours on horse drawn trolleys.

I hope that helps you- good luck to you and your family!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,692 times
If you want to be closer to the shopping and such in Jacksonville, you should look into the Carolina Forest or Jacksonville Common areas off of the Western Blvd Extension. Below is a google map of the elementary school. It is the top elementary school in Onslow county, rated a 9.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carol...en&sa=N&tab=wl

It is right oof of Western Blvd, but north of most of the traffic. In that area you have a movie theater, several restaurants, and access to all of the major retail in Jacksonville except the Mall. The next left turn going south from Carolina Forest Blvd,where Gateway Drive is, is Jacksonville Commons. That's the youth/recreation hub for the city. On the map you can see the baseball fields. The complex over there has gymnasium, 2 basketball courts, and a 2,700 person capacity. There is also park and walking trails over there, among other things. This will be literally right around the corner for you at Carolina Forest. Below is alink to give you an idea of some of the activiites they have at the Jacksonville Commons rec center.
Community Information for Residents of Jacksonville, North Carolina

I caution this, though. Though I feel Carolina Forest may be a better area to live overall than Swansboro especially with a young family, your husband may have a longer commute to work than if y'all lived in Swansboro. This is due to the traffic on Western Blvd as you approach the base during commuting hours.

Edit: Jacksonville Commons is a family friendly area itself, but I didn't mention it b/c the school's test scores are middling according to Great Schools. Other mature neighborhoods is the Country Club neighborhood, between Western Blvd and Piney Green Rd. There is a new community off of Piney Road that I can not recall the name of at this moment, it can be seen here, even more construction has happened since this pic.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1465+...ina+28546&z=17

And here is a point in the general area of the Country Club neighborhood:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1012+...ina+28546&z=16

Last edited by macjr82; 01-31-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,862,234 times
The Swansboro/Cape Cateret area is really a good place if you have kids.

Also if he works at Cape Lejeune you could live in the Dixon area of Onslow County...because there is a back bridge to the base near Sneads Ferry. It used to be open to the public, but I think is just military now. He would just be driving through the base rather than driving down Highway 24. Dixon has a middle school and high school right on Highway 17 and encompasses Sneads Ferry & North Topsail Beach.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Also if he works at Cape Lejeune you could live in the Dixon area of Onslow County...because there is a back bridge to the base near Sneads Ferry. It used to be open to the public, but I think is just military now. He would just be driving through the base rather than driving down Highway 24. Dixon has a middle school and high school right on Highway 17 and encompasses Sneads Ferry & North Topsail Beach.
I live in Sneads Ferry, and know that Highway 172 goes to the back gate only if you have a base pass. I enjoy living here, but the Dixon school system ratings are so-so. Individual kids can get a good education if the parents pressure them. There is a private "born-again" Christian school in Sneads Ferry, and Episcopal and Catholic schools in Jacksonville.

Crime is negligible, and we live in a gated community. The crime consists of thefts from construction sites, the occasional drug addict who tries to rob a store, and the meth labs which get busted when the sheriff runs for re-election. None of this should impact your kids.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM

159 posts, read 259,200 times
i heard swansboro is nice for retirement. Do the coastal communities pay higher flood insurance?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
i heard swansboro is nice for retirement. Do the coastal communities pay higher flood insurance?
We pay higher homeowners insurance the cover the possible "wind and hail" damage from a hurricane. The costs vary depending on how far from the coast you live. Our total homeowners policy is $2400/year and it will probably go up in cost.

Flood insurance is a separate type of coverage, and it is not required unless you are living in a flood zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina