Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Anyone seeing the effects of Tropical Storm Gabrielle yet? Dare county?

Radar imagery and reconnaissance aircraft data indicate that the center of Tropical Storm Gabrielle crossed the coast of North Carolina along the Cape Lookout National Seashore at about 1145 am EDT.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/s....gif?cache=121
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 AM

69 posts, read 454,012 times
I live in Wilmington and haven't seen any effects yet. I think sometime later we are supposed to get some of the storm here. I am hoping it's not too bad. I just moved here and this would be my first big storm!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
I've been watching Fox and they are at Kills Devil Hills. It looks like it's not going to become a hurricane. It looks windy and the waves are big. They are worried about beach erosion the most they said.
I used to live oceanfront in California and it looks like what it would in Calif on a day when it is really windy and slightly stormy.
I wonder how dsobotta is doing? I know he is further down in Emerald Isle.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
I'm on the sound in Morehead City. By 3:30PM it is a little breezy and a little wet, nothing more. Max. Sustained winds as of the 2PM report from NWS was 49mph at Ocracoke.
Beach erosion in one form or another occurs during every storm event-Not what I would consider news. Especially when you consider the natural process of accretion.
Bill

Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Gabrielle Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Anyone seeing the effects of Tropical Storm Gabrielle yet? Dare county?

Radar imagery and reconnaissance aircraft data indicate that the center of Tropical Storm Gabrielle crossed the coast of North Carolina along the Cape Lookout National Seashore at about 1145 am EDT.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/s....gif?cache=121
Gabrielle has barely watered our yards in western Carteret County. We had a little over one half inch of rain instead of the predicted three inches or more.

Accuweather and of course the weather channel all really seemed to wishing for this to become a hurricane.

It didn't and over the course of the last 24 hours the forecast has continually been changed to the point that we are hardly getting any wind or rain where we are near Cape Carteret. We could actually figure that out quicker from our damp driveways.

There are still bands of rain but we have also seen sunshine. The air is definitely tropical.

I think from the Beaufort area east there was more rain, but west of there the only dangers other than rip currents have been in the minds of Weather Channel reporters.

Here is a picture we snapped around 3 pm this afternoon at the eastern regional beach access in Emerald Isle.

It was actually raining in the town of Emerald Isle so we just drove a little farther east towards Gabrielle and ran out of the rain as we got to the beach access.

The wind on the beach was blowing hard enough that the sand was stinging my ankles but that was all from this end of the county.

The picture was taken looking towards the southeast.

http://coastalnc.org/gabriellesmalleasternaccess (broken link)

Old 09-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Smile Thanks for wondering about us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I've been watching Fox and they are at Kills Devil Hills. It looks like it's not going to become a hurricane. It looks windy and the waves are big. They are worried about beach erosion the most they said.
I used to live oceanfront in California and it looks like what it would in Calif on a day when it is really windy and slightly stormy.
I wonder how dsobotta is doing? I know he is further down in Emerald Isle.
We spent some time preparing for the worst, but the whole time I was expecting the best and that is what we got, some moisture and not much else.

For whatever reason Gabrielle ended up much less of a storm for us than the nor'ester we had last spring. The water and winds of the nor'easter were much worse, but still not really a problem.

You were right in thinking this one is just a windy, wet day at the beach with a tropical air mass thrown in for a bonus.

We're getting a good thunderstorm right now which might bring more rain than we got earlier.

Of course I would rather be prepared than unprepared so I am glad I took the time to batten the hatches. You never know when you might get a real storm, so this was good practice.

This picture shows the small beach cut that developed because of some higher waves earlier. As Bill said that happens all the time. Pretty well every time sand is taken away someplace, it is being deposited some place else.

http://coastalnc.org/beachcut (broken link)

This picture I took standing knee deep in the water.

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-09-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Those are some amazing pictures dsobotta!!!! Glad to hear you guys are doing fine.
That's funny you mention the weather channel because I'm watching that channel too and it does sound like they want it to be a hurricane. They get better ratings if it is one.
Anyways, I'm also watching for all the shots of the NC coast!!! I love it! It looks so nice. My husband and I can't wait for the day we are back on the beach!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Here is a live updating picture web of the Neuse river at Newbern, I watch it to see how my boat is handling the weather, About an hour Ago you could only see heavy rain on the river has cleared up since.Live Weather

Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Smile One last photo to close out Gabrielle visit to western Carteret County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Those are some amazing pictures dsobotta!!!! Glad to hear you guys are doing fine.
That's funny you mention the weather channel because I'm watching that channel too and it does sound like they want it to be a hurricane. They get better ratings if it is one.
Anyways, I'm also watching for all the shots of the NC coast!!! I love it! It looks so nice. My husband and I can't wait for the day we are back on the beach!
We ended up with a little over two inches of rain today. I heard Morehead City got over three inches and places down East got even more.

This is the sunset that we had this afternoon just as the last of the wrap around moisture was finishing up. It was taken from our front porch.

http://coastalnc.org/gabriellesunset (broken link)

Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Here's what the coastal NC newspapers had to say about the storm: Click Here (http://www.nccoastalnews.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina