Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
We spent some time preparing for the worst, but the whole time I was expecting the best and that is what we got, some moisture and not much else.

For whatever reason Gabrielle ended up much less of a storm for us than the nor'ester we had last spring. The water and winds of the nor'easter were much worse, but still not really a problem.

You were right in thinking this one is just a windy, wet day at the beach with a tropical air mass thrown in for a bonus.

We're getting a good thunderstorm right now which might bring more rain than we got earlier.

Of course I would rather be prepared than unprepared so I am glad I took the time to batten the hatches. You never know when you might get a real storm, so this was good practice.

This picture shows the small beach cut that developed because of some higher waves earlier. As Bill said that happens all the time. Pretty well every time sand is taken away someplace, it is being deposited some place else.

http://coastalnc.org/beachcut (broken link)

This picture I took standing knee deep in the water.

Ahhhh Surfer waves. Surfs UP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
We ended up with a little over two inches of rain today. I heard Morehead City got over three inches and places down East got even more.

This is the sunset that we had this afternoon just as the last of the wrap around moisture was finishing up. It was taken from our front porch.

http://coastalnc.org/gabriellesunset (broken link)

dsobotta, That is a stunning sunset photo!!! You have an amazing view!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
The papers were saying that North Carolina needs another Hurricane Floyd or even two to come in and deluge the state with monsoon rains. The drought down south is as bad or worse than 2002 and in 2000.
Those pictures were awesome and that's how a beach is supposed to be, open, wild and deserted. Now I know why my sister wants to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina