Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 28,390 times

Advertisements

In paper Wilmington has all your requirements, traffic is nothing there are no freeways here so if you come from a big city you probably will laugh when you heard people say traffic is horrible,
Of course this probably sound to good to be true, because the real big problem here is finding a job, there are just a few big companies, all jobs are taken and if you get a job somewhere else it wont be a well paid job . Do your homework start seraching for a job meaning not only look at what there is available but apply for a few and you will see. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
Traffic is awful on Market and College during the day! But it's true that if you come from a place with constant traffic in many areas, it's not bad. But still - just say no to the intersection of College and Oleander - even though Trader Joe's is going there (why oh why did they pick that location ?!)

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 AM

29 posts, read 102,506 times
If you picked the University/Community College criteria because you are a teacher, lemme give you a heads up, as UNCW is cutting a few teachers next year. Cape Fear Community College ain't all that bad. Both are expanding and building new buildings so maybe sometime in the future they can expand their faculty/staff.

If you picked the college criteria because you have kids going to college, then it's a pretty good place. A lot of people do the 2 years at Cape Fear and 2 at UNCW. Also, just a few days ago UNCW was ranked #15 in the nation for the best value in public colleges in 2012. The only other North Carolina University to outrank it is UNC-Chapel Hill(Granted, they're freaking number one.)

Best Values in Public Colleges, 2011-12

regarding crime - face it guys, we're in a peninsula. All the different socio-economic zones are up against one another, with very few buffer zones inbetween. If you really want to feel safe, just look at where the subdivision is in relation to roads.

Take pine valley for example. It is surrounded by three main roads, and isn't really connected to any other different "zone". hence it is ridiculously safe.

Compare that with downtown, where the historic district/commercial downtown/ghetto all jumble up together, creating an unequality that kind of sucks for the area (ie, poor people just trying to survive, sees college kids drunk and spending like there's no tomorrow, sees opportunity and seizes it.) Also, this scenario usually only plays out at night - downtown is idyllic in the morning.

Regarding traffic - it really is relative. I came from Manila, and really it's not that bad when you consider that it is a tourist spot, it's in a peninsula with limited space to grow and expand, and everything is less than thirty minutes away from everything.

Regarding trader joe's: you know perfectly well why they chose that location. :P What do they care if it creates a bigger cluster**** of traffic at that intersection, that's just more screen time for their business. It's creating enough buzz as it is by just setting up shop there. No one will ever ask "wait where is trader joe." By the time it's finished you'll be crazy if you didn't know where it was.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkalang View Post
Regarding trader joe's: you know perfectly well why they chose that location. :P What do they care if it creates a bigger cluster**** of traffic at that intersection, that's just more screen time for their business. It's creating enough buzz as it is by just setting up shop there. No one will ever ask "wait where is trader joe." By the time it's finished you'll be crazy if you didn't know where it was.
Ha, good point.

It's weird though - that space is smaller than what the actual parking lot should be for Trader Joe's. When they put a building there - the parking will be halved? If what I saw at the opening of the Chapel Hill TJs is any indication, there will be NO PARKING and it's going to majorly suck. However, I love Trader Joe's and I will be there just before closing or just after opening.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM

50 posts, read 111,652 times
Wilmington meets your criteria, EXCEPT for traffic. Traffic is bad, and many Raleighites and Charlotteans I know complain about it. Insurance rarer are also higher here because of all the crazy drivers (many tourists) that get into wrecks every day. But I love it here, and I think you would too if your criteria is the kind of city you are looking for.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
The truth about crime is that Wilmington is better than a lot of other places in NC but worse than just about anywhere in Nebraska.

Unless you're moving here from one of the few cities that have a lot of people in them, then traffic in Wilmington is going to seem bad.

Please choose very carefully. A lot of people that move here, don't like it here. It's not for everybody. And whatever you do, don't suggest ANYTHING to the natives.They take it personally and think that they know everything there is to know. Their way is not only the best way, it's the only way.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Would Elizabeth City work. NE North Carolina never seems to have much presence. I know very little about EC, but I expect traffic is reasonable. But not sure.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 AM

638 posts, read 992,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ha, good point.

It's weird though - that space is smaller than what the actual parking lot should be for Trader Joe's. When they put a building there - the parking will be halved? If what I saw at the opening of the Chapel Hill TJs is any indication, there will be NO PARKING and it's going to majorly suck. However, I love Trader Joe's and I will be there just before closing or just after opening.
There's plenty of parking space and we can't wait until it opens Friday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina