Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 PM

26 posts, read 48,897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am on a search to find a location to move my family to in a few years (4-5) and I keep getting lots of "stay out of this area" advice here on city-data every time I start a new post about a place. I was trying not to post (rather, I read existing posts because there are so many) but I can't find any info on Castle Hayne, NC.

What I am looking for is a nice, small town in the south, preferably in North/South Carolina or northeast Florida. I came across Castle Hayne but can't find anything about the place!!! Any information would be appreciated!! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,588 times
Castle Hayne is basically an extension of Wilmington with a slightly rural feel.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks! I checked out Wilmington and it seems nice, but way too city for us.

Here are a few more questions I have for clarification:
How rural is Castle Hayne?

I will have my BSN and be an RN in a couple years along with my current BA in psychology. Will I be able to find a nursing job? (I'm flexible as far as hospital vs. nursing home etc.)

I have a 4 year old so schools will be a major issue. What are area schools like?

Are the residents accepting of those of us who move there? I read a lot about southerners being "unwelcoming" but I am more open minded than that to believe everything I read! I promise I won't reminisce about the north and I don't think the south is a perfect place to escape to. Our main reason to move is climate. Otherwise, "wherever you live, there you are"!

Are there farmers markets, festivals, activities for kids, etc. nearby?

Thanks again to any responders!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
have you visited to see it for yourself, or are you just asking questions?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMom06 View Post
What I am looking for is a nice, small town in the south, preferably in North/South Carolina or northeast Florida. I came across Castle Hayne but can't find anything about the place!!! Any information would be appreciated!! Thank you
If you look at the report on Castle Hayne in city-data.com, you will find lots of statistics. There is a game parlor mentioned as something to do for kids. Also look on Realtor and Zillow at homes for sale. There are suburban-type older homes on larger lots, but no in-town homes. Frankly, I don't think Castle Hayne is what you are looking for.

You might look at Mt Airy or Pittsboro. Also read thru other posts about small town which are faltering because the jobs have disappeared. The economic trends favor the suburbs around the bigger cities, and leaves the small towns weaker.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Are you really a "hippie"? You might find Carrboro or Hillsborough in the RTP more comfortable. They are in commuting distance to the Durham and Chapel Hill medical facilites.

Please check out the reports in city-data forums on nursing jobs in Wilmington before you make any decisions.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM

No, Le Roi, I haven't visited. I am trying to narrow places down to get to that point!!

Lol Goldenage, my husband refers to me as a hippy because of my recycling and vegetarian ways. I'm more of a "save the earth" hippie than those we imagine from earlier decades.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them all out today. I do check out stats on places but I don't completely trust them because I've looked at stats for where I live now & they don't paint quite the picture of reality so I use the stats as a ballpark & go from there, usually posting on here to get "insider info".

Thanks again to those who reply, I value & appreciate your opinions!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM

OK Hippie Mom - I was afraid you wanted to grow pot, practice free love, let your kid run around naked. That doesn't go over well in conservative small towns.

Maybe its a minor point, but most low-population counties don't do re-cycling at your doorstep. You haul your own recycling to the local collection center, so it helps to have a truck.

Vegetarians may have a hard time-- coastal NC is pork and seafood county. Are you sure you really want to live in a small town?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Convicted kingpin David Crummy again faces drug charges | StarNewsOnline.com

here's a good article about a guy who had a crackhouse in castle hayne.

on the other hand, there are some nice houses, and nice people in castle hayne. your mileage may vary.

i couldn't tell you about it's amenities. it's not small enough to be a neighborhood, but it's not really big enough to be its own town. It's not too far, but I wouldn't want to be running back-and-forth between Castle Hayne and the rest of Wilmington, personally.

i hope that clears things up

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks goldenage & le roi! I have to cart my recycling now anyhow, curbside is rare where I live now. I think "small town" means something different here than in the south. I wouldn't mind living in suburbs, I just don't like houses right on top of each other. I guess what we are lokoing for is a smaller community rather than small town. My graduating class had 56 people and where my son is going to go to school they have close to 400 per class...not what we want. It looks like Castle Hayns isn't right for us & will just keep on looking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina