Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 PM

25 posts, read 81,329 times

Advertisements

Well guys we drove down here for the long weekend...Trlhiker you couldn't be more right. We're at a hotel in Havelock now and if I had to live here, I'd need antidepressants or a suicide watch (Just kidding people but I70 running through this town is a horror.) Drove through Taberna and while the houses and yards were lovely, it was a tad anal retentive for me....sort of like living in base housing all over again..been there done that...Everything was a bit too perfect and we're too young to be living in a golf cart community. Our day will come but it's just not here yet. There seems to be a much older crowd there. Thanks for the info about the double taxation in Morehead and New Bern proper. Bill thank you for the website with the activities...my husband and i have spent two days driving around looking around and wondering what the hell we'd do here. This is funny....our first stop at a Burger King two women felt compelled to tell me my dog was ugly. I should have felt compelled to tell them their butts were gigantic but I'm basically a nice person Then when I got out of the car, my shoe got stuck on a huge wad of gum and I nearly fell on my face.....I'm trying not to think of it as an omen. What is with the billboards in this place? We saw 10 or so Lexis billboards right next to each other. What the heck? Saw a nice house in Pollocksville. I'm hoping the correct pronunciation of that town's name is so that it does not offend Polish people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
I can't think of any place worse to stay than a hotel on HWY 70 in Havelock. It's a five lane highway in a military town with ongoing fly-by's.
And the multitude of Lexis Billboards on the western end of town-You can thank the dealer in Raleigh for that.
So sorry for your experience to date.
I created a thread a while ago stating that there is no simple description of our area due to its diversity. I hope you are able to discover what you are looking for.
By the way-Are you going it alone or do you have someone from here guiding you around?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Bill-we're home now. We went it alone this trip but if we go down again we'll ask one of my husband's active duty friends to take us around. At least we learned where some of the major sub divisions are and I'm thinking if we end up down there we'll probably stick with the outer New Bern area/Pollocksville. My husband says he's just not feeling it so far for NC. Road trip in July to NH

Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

279 posts, read 702,307 times
Well NH in July will probably sway you towards NH, but just go back and visit in the winter!! New England summers are gorgeous, but short. If the weather does not bother you, then NH would be my pick. It has everything. Mountains and ocean, cultural events, etc. Train service to Maine and Boston. Its also the safest state in the nation..and no billboards. ;-)

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Just had to jump in here----live in CT---yes New England is beautiful----in the warm monthes----and NC summers are HOT. BUT,for us, it's a choice of being unable to comfortably be outside from late October to late May (CT), or enduring some heat, but having the rest of the year at comfortable temps. We don't ski, and the miserable cold makes going out in the evening to events an unappealing proposition.And get togethers are always being cancelled due to the dangerous driving.
We're so tired of being stuck inside for much of the year. We like to travel (camper) and up here places are closed from early October to late April.
New Bern has many different activities, what are you interested in? Acting, volunteering,boating, classic cars? But it doesn't compare to Boston.
I guess it boils down to how you'd like to spend your time, on a day to day basis.
Let us know what you decide.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalbeetle View Post
Well guys we drove down here for the long weekend...Trlhiker you couldn't be more right. We're at a hotel in Havelock now and if I had to live here, I'd need antidepressants or a suicide watch (Just kidding people but I70 running through this town is a horror.) Drove through Taberna and while the houses and yards were lovely, it was a tad anal retentive for me....sort of like living in base housing all over again..been there done that...Everything was a bit too perfect and we're too young to be living in a golf cart community. Our day will come but it's just not here yet. There seems to be a much older crowd there. Thanks for the info about the double taxation in Morehead and New Bern proper. Bill thank you for the website with the activities...my husband and i have spent two days driving around looking around and wondering what the hell we'd do here. This is funny....our first stop at a Burger King two women felt compelled to tell me my dog was ugly. I should have felt compelled to tell them their butts were gigantic but I'm basically a nice person Then when I got out of the car, my shoe got stuck on a huge wad of gum and I nearly fell on my face.....I'm trying not to think of it as an omen. What is with the billboards in this place? We saw 10 or so Lexis billboards right next to each other. What the heck? Saw a nice house in Pollocksville. I'm hoping the correct pronunciation of that town's name is so that it does not offend Polish people.
I live in Taberna and I am 30 years old. You stated in your first post that your husband is active duty military for 30 years. Yes, there are alot of retirees in this neighborhood, however, there are alot of younger (by younger I am refering to age 35-55 years old) military families here as well, many whom rent homes for the 2-3 years they are here. There are alot of younger business owners/doctors/realtors here as well. Yes, Taberna does fall into the "double taxation" part of NB. I can also say that I would much rather live here (where majority are older) then any other subdivision on this side of the bridge because my children can play outside and I do not need to worry about them getting run over by speeding teenagers, or loud parties, etc. The only issue here is the occasional golfer having a bad shot resulting in the ball landing in our backyard. You and your spouse contemplated what you would do here for leisure and I can assure you that I have asked myself that same question daily for the three years I have been here and am looking forward to the day I move. If you like "the great outdoors" and enjoy boating, hiking, biking, etc. then you could like it here. If you are like me and enjoy shopping, fine dining, nice health clubs, modern movie theaters, shows, etc. then this is simply not the IDEAL place to live. You did post that you currently live in an area "duller than dirt and the closest mall is an hour away". Well, welcome to New Bern because the closest decent mall is one hour away in Greenville. The one in Jacksonville (45 min away) is catered towards the younger population and has stores I shopped at as a teenager. There are not any quality stores such as Ann Taylor Loft, etc. I agree that the ugly billboards throughout eastern NC should ALL be torn down. How tacky. Anywho, good luck with your decision.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. We already decided. North Carolina is out. I'll sell a kidney if I have to so I can live somewhere else.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM

279 posts, read 702,307 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for all the input. We already decided. North Carolina is out. I'll sell a kidney if I have to so I can live somewhere else.

Wow! What happened??

Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,569 times
Delaware !? 1/2 way!

No sales tax, affordable real estate, low property taxes, things to do...

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
I can't say I would blame you. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time in the area as of late and was not feeling it at all. Nothing is wrong with the area per se but nothing felt right about it either. I am not itching to go back anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina