Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate from NJ to coastal North Carolina or coastal South Carolina and would appreciate some feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of both areas as well as suggested locations. We are retired with no need for schools but must have access to medical, shopping and recreational activities including fishing.
Thanks for you interest.
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM

33 posts, read 106,289 times
Phil,
North Carolina coastal area around New Bern has become a very popular place to retire for all of the reasons you listed. New Bern is surrounded by two rivers, Neuse and Trent. Brackish water great for boating, fishing and crabbing. You are approximately 30 miles from the beach too. Low traffic. We have all the seasons.
Not the best of shopping, but less than two hours from Raleigh-Durham area. Great shopping there! 45 minutes from Greenville for good shopping.

New Bern was settled in 1710 and the downtown area is beautiful. Has cute shops. It was the Colonial Capital of NC and Governor Tryon's estate has been restored and open for tour. Tourism is very big here.

Good luck with your decision!
Martha

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,439 times
Wilmington is the largest Coastal City on the NC Coast. Myrtle Beach is probably biggest for SC...maybe Charleston.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,215 times
Brunswick county Nc or Hoory County Sc are both great places to live. Cheaper property taxes and no snow. We retired from NW NJ in 2012 to southern brunswick county and love it here. I would suggest attending a sourthern living show in nj, then pick out the communities you are most interested in and come visit. Most of the communities will put you up for very inexpensive if you tour their community. If you are not interested in a planned community find a good realtor and work with him or her. Good luck. Hope you are as happy w your final coicr as we are.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Since this post was made 5 years ago, I would hope that they have made a decision already.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
You never know, maybe researching in 2008 and finally at his number...

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM

166 posts, read 789,942 times
Answering a 5 year old post????

Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
Maybe he didn't read the date of the post and just felt like responding......

Don't be testy this am...

You could be commuting 2 hrs each way like I am till I can get the heck outta here!!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumid7 View Post
Brunswick county Nc or Hoory County Sc are both great places to live. Cheaper property taxes and no snow. We retired from NW NJ in 2012 to southern brunswick county and love it here. I would suggest attending a sourthern living show in nj, then pick out the communities you are most interested in and come visit. Most of the communities will put you up for very inexpensive if you tour their community. If you are not interested in a planned community find a good realtor and work with him or her. Good luck. Hope you are as happy w your final coicr as we are.
It is nice to hear a "fresh" voice even if it is a resurrected post!

Jumid7, you moved to Brunswick Plantation? Don't know that we have heard from anyone who moved there.

I remember making the loooong drive from MB to golf on that beautiful course many, many years ago.

Please tell us why you chose that development, what is it like and how did you adjust!

Thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM

166 posts, read 789,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Maybe he didn't read the date of the post and just felt like responding......

Don't be testy this am...

You could be commuting 2 hrs each way like I am till I can get the heck outta here!!!!
Far from feeling testy this morning The just can never figure out why people answer posts that old. The op could have moved 5 times by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina