Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM

24 posts, read 106,105 times

Advertisements

I am reading a lot about this Monkey Junction. Is this area safe? Our top choice for apartmens right now is at a complex a mile south of monkey junction. It seemed a little more out of the downtown with less of an urban feel. Anyone have feedback??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,482,489 times
yeah, Monkey Junction is a safe area. Anything that is in New Hanover County, but outside of Wilmington, is a good area.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:43 PM

156 posts, read 920,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyneck143 View Post
My husband was relocated to Wilmington from PA. He works for a pharmacutical company and the company only provides about 2 weeks to find a place and get situated. We are flying down next week to look around the area, but I have been doing a lot of research online. We would like to rent for one year before buying a house, but a lot of what I've read about the crime has scared me. We are a young couple with 2 babies, and would like to live close to the beaches, shops, river, etc., but in a safe place.

Any suggestions?

The one apartment I have on hold to look at when we visit is a new complex called Avalon apartments. They are located on Guinevere Lane just off Market Street at Darlington Avenue. How is this area?

Any and all advice will be greatly, greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
I was also interested in the Avalon apartments.. I choose Mayfair over them because I didn't know if the avalon would attract alot of college kids.. I still have time to change.. The price is much better. The location is unfamiliar to me.. I was afraid of anything near Downtown.. Brand new is nice..Let me know if you find out anything and if you liked it.. Thanks..

Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 PM

13 posts, read 85,635 times
Default Everyone has an opinion....

so here's mine. I personally would not be too thrilled about Darlington. It is closer to downtown than any others mentioned and one of the highest crime areas in town is only about 10 blocks away going North. Mayfaire is one of the newest things going in town right now. It is a village within itself with shops, anchor stores, groceries,restaurants, a gym, movie theatre and apts. The Reserve at Mayfaire is really nice and probably one of the safest areas I could think of. It is only a very short ride across the bridge to Wrightsville Beach. Also, the Ogden area is really growing and is a good area also. Like the previous poster said, stay outside of the city limits if possible. I was raised near Monkey Junction. It is really growing and nothing like it was when I was small, but is still a decent area and is at the south end of the county which is closer to Carolina Beach versus Ogden & Mayfaire being near Wrightsville. Also, Leland is really seeing lots of growth. There isn't lots of shopping, but it is getting there. They recently got a WalMart & many more shops are coming there. If you talk to anyone that has lived here a long time, they will tell you Leland used to not have such a good reputation, but it is getting better. Things are really turning around there. I have a friend that just bought a house there and she is very happy.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyneck143 View Post
I am reading a lot about this Monkey Junction. Is this area safe? Our top choice for apartmens right now is at a complex a mile south of monkey junction. It seemed a little more out of the downtown with less of an urban feel. Anyone have feedback??

Thanks!
Monkey Junction is, arguably, one of the best areas in (or around) Wilmington. We own a unit in Breezewood, off Carolina Beach Road, about 1 mile North of Monkey Junction. Safe area, school close by, much shopping within a couple miles, close to the beach (Absolutely love Fort Fisher).

Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 106,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
I was also interested in the Avalon apartments.. I choose Mayfair over them because I didn't know if the avalon would attract alot of college kids.. I still have time to change.. The price is much better. The location is unfamiliar to me.. I was afraid of anything near Downtown.. Brand new is nice..Let me know if you find out anything and if you liked it.. Thanks..
We actually ended up going with an apartment complex called Cypress Pond at Porters Neck. They are close enough to Mayfaire (which we love), but more reasonably priced than the apartments in Mayfaire. I called the Wilmington Police Department, and spoke with Barry Cobrum(sp?). He said he couldn't recommend anything safer than this. I know that Avalon is 50% college kids; that is why we decided against it. Mayfaire is gorgeous, if we didn't have two babies I would have spent the extra money and rented there. Although, I have read a few comments about 'spoiled college kids' living there. But that could just be one opinion. We love our choice - Cypress Pond. The apartments are very upscale - crown molding, granite countertops etc. Washer/Dryer is also included in the rent. There is also free tanning - great extra. My only complaint is the kitchen needs a little more cabinet space. There are huge walk-in closets in each bedroom tho. Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
ftp

1 posts, read 2,235 times
Have you heard of Steven E. Bryd? use to be a pastor in Fayetteville, NC, but has since moved to the coast(maybe Southport). He "confessed" to 25 years of on going sex abuse/harrassment at his church. None of the women want to press charges(?) which is weird.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,673 times
Don't know of the apartments but Darlington Ave is not the best place to be. Try Porters Neck, Ogden, Monkey Junction....Much nicer and super close to everything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina