Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
As to the area you reference, that used to be called the Roaring Third; hardly a blacks only bastion. Many groups lived here, lots of Italians, see St Joseph Church.
Wasn't that the area that was once referred to as "Big Italy"? (In contrast to "Little Italy" along Mayfield Road.) I'm Italian on my dad's side and I remember him telling me about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,612 times
What truly needs to be done about welfare and public housing in my opinion is that the government needs to be more strict about keeping track of the recipients and making sure that they are actually TRYING to pull ahead instead of coasting along, becoming reliant on section 8, food stamps, etc. It should be similar to scholarships and federal financial aid for students; if you just think you can take the money and not go to class, they will take that right away from you (happened to me lol) Same should be for welfare and housing assistance. If the person can't hold a job or is at least not actively searching, take away the welfare. Or they should be required to go to school or something.The goal is to temporarily use the system when in dire need until you are able to pull yourself up and become a productive member of society. Sadly it doesn't seem that is how it actually is in real life though....

Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM

378 posts, read 341,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
It should be similar to scholarships and federal financial aid for students; if you just think you can take the money and not go to class, they will take that right away from you
OR like when you use the government's money to build a bus lane and then try to keep it closed

But yes, I really agree with this sentiment.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:14 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Wasn't that the area that was once referred to as "Big Italy"? (In contrast to "Little Italy" along Mayfield Road.) I'm Italian on my dad's side and I remember him telling me about that.
There was a ''Big Italy'' further east along Woodland. The Roaring Third was in the Central Market area towards St Joseph Church. Lots of Italians in Cleveland. Many believe it was only Little Italy. There were Italian parishes on the west side, east side (Collinwood) let alone the Little Italy (home of Chef Boyardee and Henry Mancini) and Big Italy.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
OR like when you use the government's money to build a bus lane and then try to keep it closed

But yes, I really agree with this sentiment.
But the City would have to pay the money back for the bus lane (which I wish it would do). At least Public Square was nice place/park for 8 months. The students take the money and default and get nothing.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Constructive and accurate. If these residents have ''jobs'', they are limited in how much $ they can make. Spending millions of $$ for transit to take part-time, minimum wage earners to the suburbs is a waste of money. Columbus got the smart grant to develop driverless vehicles to take inner city residents to minimum wage jobs in outlying areas. It's ridiculous. Many of these residents have under the table jobs, if they do anything at all.
Do you have any demographic evidence about the age, education level, earned income, etc., of the residents of public housing in Cleveland? What is their upward mobility levels?

If you are factless, you're just arguing your biases.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
I'm in DC for a couple of weeks, at a grocery store last week, a young couple is ahead of me in line, full cart of groceries; thought they were a professional couple. Total bill $225.00; female swipes a card, presto-chango, the balance due is now $17.95. Loser ''boyfriend'', again a young, well dressed dude, packing the food in bags, living off of us. Why would you want to give that up? No doubt female has a nice housing subsidy as well. No sign of kids at the grocery store; could be at government paid day care, who knows.
Who knows what you witnessed?

Was the well dressed "boyfriend" actually the person's brother???

There is no doubt abuse of the welfare system, and my understanding is that officials are barred from collecting and reporting certain information, such as benefits paid to illegal immigrants. However, I don't know if this is true.

What is true is that many persons need assistance for legitimate reasons. Real wages for low-paid workers have fallen in the past decade, partly because of the expansion of the low-skilled work force due to immigration.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

There is no doubt abuse of the welfare system, and my understanding is that officials are barred from collecting and reporting certain information, such as benefits paid to illegal immigrants. However, I don't know if this is true.

What is true is that many persons need assistance for legitimate reasons. Real wages for low-paid workers have fallen in the past decade, partly because of the expansion of the low-skilled work force due to immigration.
and people wonder why Trump was elected.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

I want one of those cards that reduce your grocery bill from $225.00 to $17.95! I wasn't expecting a ''card'' to be pulled from these two, but out it came, and she disguised it very well with her hand as the register magically blinked and the bill suddenly become less than $20.00. See, I wasn't stereotyping but, alas, it was a stereotype in the end.

I bought a few items that totaled as much as her entire, over-packed, cart.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
I want one of those cards that reduce your grocery bill from $225.00 to $17.95! I wasn't expecting a ''card'' to be pulled from these two, but out it came, and she disguised it very well with her hand as the register magically blinked and the bill suddenly become less than $20.00. See, I wasn't stereotyping but, alas, it was a stereotype in the end.

I bought a few items that totaled as much as her entire, over-packed, cart.
I have seen this kind of thing happen too, though not as dramatic as what you describe. I don't know how this became a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland