Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 11:30 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times

Advertisements

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo breaks ground for Asian-themed exhibit (photos, video) | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I haven't been checking up on nuCLEus too often, but I did want to see if one part of it in particular was still going to be a thing: The laneways that were promised when it was first announced? I think having a few of those might even be better for my tastes than having another high rise. I just don't which new or existing roads that type of concept would work on. Although short, perhaps this is one prospective location for one? https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4982...8i6656!5m1!1e3

Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Retail strip added to new Playhouse Square parking garage

<< Playhouse Square agreed Thursday after some pressure from city planning officials to install a 20-foot-deep retail strip on the ground floor of a parking garage designed to serve a proposed 34-story apartment tower.

The agreement capped a back-and-forth discussion at the meeting of the Downtown Flats Design Review Committee over schematic plans for the $135 million tower, on which Playhouse Square hopes to break ground late this year for the project.>>

City wins compromise adding retail to garage for Playhouse Square apartment tower (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 AM

237 posts, read 249,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I haven't been checking up on nuCLEus too often, but I did want to see if one part of it in particular was still going to be a thing: The laneways that were promised when it was first announced? I think having a few of those might even be better for my tastes than having another high rise. I just don't which new or existing roads that type of concept would work on. Although short, perhaps this is one prospective location for one? https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4982...8i6656!5m1!1e3
I don't know that the laneways were meant to include existing properties. My understanding is the laneways are to be constructed on the nuCLEus parcel at ground level beneath the structures.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
<< Playhouse Square agreed Thursday after some pressure from city planning officials to install a 20-foot-deep retail strip on the ground floor of a parking garage designed to serve a proposed 34-story apartment tower.

The agreement capped a back-and-forth discussion at the meeting of the Downtown Flats Design Review Committee over schematic plans for the $135 million tower, on which Playhouse Square hopes to break ground late this year for the project.>>

City wins compromise adding retail to garage for Playhouse Square apartment tower (photos) | cleveland.com
That's a huge win! Parking garages and other buildings with big footprints in urban areas need to have something of interest to pedestrians, otherwise they just break up the urban fabric.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:29 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
That's a huge win! Parking garages and other buildings with big footprints in urban areas need to have something of interest to pedestrians, otherwise they just break up the urban fabric.
I agree, but what economically viable retail outlets would use 20-foot deep stores??? Maybe an ice cream store such as Mitchell's, with production off-site could do something with such a space.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I agree, but what economically viable retail outlets would use 20-foot deep stores??? Maybe an ice cream store such as Mitchell's, with production off-site could do something with such a space.
The flip side of that is maybe the rents will be cheaper, allowing a business to enter downtown that otherwise wouldn't be viable?

20 Feet isn't as limiting as it sounds. there's plenty of food stands, food trucks, and mall kiosks around the country.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF1129 View Post
I don't know that the laneways were meant to include existing properties. My understanding is the laneways are to be constructed on the nuCLEus parcel at ground level beneath the structures.
Ah okay. Well that'll still be nice, but I feel like that strip of East 8th, if possible, would make for an uber cool urban space. I'm hoping that the complex will be built to connect to the city overall, not to draw people in and keep other parts separate.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Amazon commits to North Randall fulfillment center, with 2,000-plus jobs on former mall site | cleveland.com

2000 jobs with amazon on the old site of Randall park mall, which was once the largest mall in the world.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...ec5e0fd65.html

Shaker heights Van Aken district development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland