Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times

Advertisements

Took my wife to The Melt Bar and Grille today via Uber from Tower. $11! Then took bus 26 all the way down Detroit to Tower. Sort of a cool way to see Detroit. I noticed Gordon Sq. area was improved and new buildings going up on one intersection.

Tonight is our first Monsters game. Tomorrow- Sherloc show and then the 38th bar at the Hilton for the first time- heard the views are great.

She's been hooked on this murder podcast and has read about 5 books- all of them around CLE. Thus, she wants to see Shaker Sq (coffee shop) and Lakewood Cemetery. We'll probably get to Rocky River Reservation for a walk on Monday.

I am better prepared this time and comfortable walking around in the temps.

Holiday Inn hooked us up again! Check in at 9AM today with upgrade to large room. Pays to join that IHG club.

More to come later... Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
She's been hooked on this murder podcast and has read about 5 books- all of them around CLE. Thus, she wants to see Shaker Sq (coffee shop) and Lakewood Cemetery.
Are these Les Roberts books?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ro...y_novel_writer)

The Blue or Green rail rapid lines will take you to Shaker Square from Tower City. Consider dining at the Balaton, the best Hungarian restaurant in Ohio. The Wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, and beet salad are superb. The Balaton is across the street from Dewey's Coffee House.

Fire on Shaker Square is a great brunch destination, and EDWINS is a top and unique destination for French cuisine.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...nd%2C+OH+44120

Buy day passes and consider taking the Green Line east on Shaker Blvd. after visiting Shaker Square to appreciate truly Shaker Hts.

You can catch a bus from the Green Road Station to Legacy Village and Beachwood Mall, combined, northern Ohio's upscale shopping destination.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:10 PM

While at PlayhouseSquare, definitely check out the lobbies of the Ohio and State theaters, perhaps after your show when perhaps the ushers won't care as much about entry.

Historic Ohio Theatre lobby re-created 52 years after fire destroyed 1921 original (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 01-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Lakewood Cemetery or Lake View Cemetery? The latter is the famous one, even though Wade Chapel and the Garfield Monument are closed in winter months.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 AM

Shaker Sq. Deweys coffee, walked Sq. than to Little Italy for quick bite.. Pestri's (I think). Was packed and fun..sat by window while it snowed.

Lots of very friendly people.

Headed to Allen Theatre now (stopped at Heinens to load up on organic food for post theatre meal at hotel and then SAG awards? Wife wants to watch).

Taking bus down Lake Ave. tomorrow to explore Lakewood a bit more. Probably end up at Melt. HOWEVER, Pizza 216 is really, really, good! Super light crust and just a bit crispy. I am gluten iffy and I had zero trouble.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Angelo's in Lakewood has been voted as Greater Cleveland's best pizza, an opinion shared by many Westsiders and apparently by Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks visited Cleveland Night Market and Angelos Lakewood on Friday | cleveland.com

Oscar-winner Tom Hanks drops in for some pizza in Lakewood | fox8.com

The Taste Food Tour :: Angelo's Pizza - Taste of Lakewood :: Good Food

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...est-pizza.html

Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM

You just confirmed our lunch for tomorrow! Thanks! I remember seeing that article where T Hanks cruised by and took photos with the employees.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
You just confirmed our lunch for tomorrow! Thanks! I remember seeing that article where T Hanks cruised by and took photos with the employees.
So how does your wife like Cleveland?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 PM

She has "fun" but has no desire to move here from the coast of CA.

I'm glad she likes it, though.

We were at Deweys Coffee at Shaker Sq. and I said, "Living hear here would also be cool. Red line is right there and the area has shops. Could hit downtown in 15 min."

Is that a decent area? Looked like project type apartments nearby, but no idea for sure. She said she'd like to be near the University, or where there are college students/professor types.

Met a kid on the rail going back. He's at music school (viola) and has traveled a lot just playing along the way for money. He loves it here and is from S. Carolina. We all agree, people are really that friendly.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:17 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
She has "fun" but has no desire to move here from the coast of CA.

I'm glad she likes it, though.

We were at Deweys Coffee at Shaker Sq. and I said, "Living hear here would also be cool. Red line is right there and the area has shops. Could hit downtown in 15 min."

Is that a decent area? Looked like project type apartments nearby, but no idea for sure. She said she'd like to be near the University, or where there are college students/professor types.

Met a kid on the rail going back. He's at music school (viola) and has traveled a lot just playing along the way for money. He loves it here and is from S. Carolina. We all agree, people are really that friendly.
I just got here today and don't know what's what yet. The snow is not helping. People are very nice and helpful though but overall feeling a bit iffy about it so far. I was thinking about your positive thoughts of the place(as well as some others here) and was curious how your wife felt about it (her first trip?). I've only seen a bit of Lakewood so far and am not that impressed...I think I haven't seen the best parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland