Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There's no storm anticipated that would stop the buses from running. Greater Cleveland handles snow very well.

Use Google Transit at the RTA home page. Buy a day pass on Tuesday and head to University Circle and definitely visit the Cleveland Museum of Art (closed on Monday). It will cheer you up, and it's free. I believe there is an orchid show at the nearby Cleveland Botanical Garden.

Teacherdad was talking about The Arcade (John D. Rockefeller was an initial investor), one of the great national architectural masterpieces. It runs between Euclid and Superior Avenues. The Euclid entrance is across from East 4th St. The Cleveland Public Library is across from the Arcade.

If you visit the 5th St. Arcades, don't miss the nearby Heinen's in the Cleveland Trust Rotunda.

I don't know how long you will be in Cleveland, but the West Side Market is open on Monday. It opens at 7 a.m. Perhaps visit the West Side Market Cafe for breakfast. Nate's Deli, the Great Lakes Brewery and Mitchell's Ice Cream are great visits in the area.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

If you enjoy history, visit the Soldiers & Sailors Monument on Public Square. Perhaps grab a snack at the Flaming Ice Cube, and definitely check out Tower City.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...N_SORT_WRAPPER
Just what I needed to hear this morning as I look out the window! Thanks so much. A bus stop to downtown isn't too far. I saw photos of the Arcade online and it looks beautiful...like the Galleria in Milan Italy. Art Museum would be nice and west side market sounds great too. I have moved here...supposed to move into temp apt. on the 1st and just feeling very anxious and unsettled. Should get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
Yes, there is snow! Schools closed today. We are suiting up now for a bus ride to Lakewood area. Going to walk around and get some coffee. Busses seem to run every 30 min. or less so that's good. Watching people desnow their cars on Euclid this morning. Can't wait to get down there and walk around!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Just what I needed to hear this morning as I look out the window! Thanks so much. A bus stop to downtown isn't too far. I saw photos of the Arcade online and it looks beautiful...like the Galleria in Milan Italy. Art Museum would be nice and west side market sounds great too. I have moved here...supposed to move into temp apt. on the 1st and just feeling very anxious and unsettled. Should get better.
You also could take the Cleveland State bus rapid to Crocker Park in Westlake. You shouldn't be much of a walk from a station, but you can ascertain that using Google Transit.

Crocker Park Shopping Center > It's All Happening Here

If you've moved here, consider purchasing an RTA monthly pass, especially as it sounds like you'll be doing much exploring for your first month here.

Perhaps consider visiting the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks while snow is still on the ground.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I'm going to try and get a hotel downtown tomorrow if I can get there with the storm they are talking about.
If you're relocating to downtown, consider using Priceline with 4 star hotels (you'll likely end up in the Hyatt which occupies much of The Arcade).

Most hotels offer a combo package with the Rock 'n Hall of Fame, if you plan to visit there.

If you're living here now, check out Smart Seats at PlayhouseSquare. If you ever see Smart Seats for the Hanna (Great Lakes Theater) and Allen (Cleveland Play House), grab them as they are great theaters and have no bad seats.

Smart Seats | PlayhouseSquare

Buy theater binoculars if you buy Smart Seats for other PlayhouseSquare theaters. With binoculars, you'll have a great experience.

If you enjoy cinema, check out the Cleveland Cinematheque, one of the nation's best repertory film theaters, and the film festival at the Cleveland Museum of Art, where a $50 membership is a great bargain, considering discounts and free admission to special exhibitions.

Cinematheque | Cleveland Institute of Art College of Art | 800.223.4700

Films | Cleveland Museum of Art

Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Snow

Although Greater Cleveland has good snow removal capabilities, it doesn't help much until it stops snowing. So travel should be much easier this afternoon.

Widespread snowfall hinders ability to clear roads, run buses | cleveland.com

Today looks like a mess, and tomorrow also likely will be bad from forecasts that I've seen.

Cleveland has a lot of weather year-round, and you'll learn to arrange your schedule around Doppler radar and forecasts.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cle...r-radar/350127

Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
We ended up going back to Little Italy as our bus 55 was stuck downtown. We met it, but it could not move. We then walked in the Convention Center building and around that area. Had lunch again at Pizza 216. Took rail and are now resting at the airport...security maybe took 10 min. Not the same in LAX. LOL

Until April!

Rob

Old 01-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
We ended up going back to Little Italy as our bus 55 was stuck downtown. We met it, but it could not move. We then walked in the Convention Center building and around that area. Had lunch again at Pizza 216. Took rail and are now resting at the airport...security maybe took 10 min. Not the same in LAX. LOL

Until April!

Rob
Wow! I guess it was bad this morning downtown.

How was the Sherlock Holmes play at the Allen Theatre?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Get into the Holiday Inn Express on Euclid. Walk down 4th (across the street) and walk the arcades (5th St. and Rockefeller). Day's Inn, no offense, is not anything like these hotels downtown. If you like architecture, this will be a big plus. The CLE Library is on the other side of the building. The Visitor Center is across the street (corner of 4th and Euclid). You will know 4th because it's a pedestrian walking St. where there is a comedy club, lots of restaurants, etc. My cousin works at the center and they can give you a TON of information.

Your hotel is at the eastern part of Lakewood. If you go west, it gets nicer (IMO) and there are parks and more to see. Bus 55 should be near you and it goes right downtown. If I had more time, we could meet up and I'd show you around a bit. We fly out tomorrow and have a part of the day to hit up a few spots and then get to the airport.

You really need to head downtown IMO.
Hope you had a safe flight home...just wanted to thank you again - I'm at the Holiday Inn Express and it is 110% better. I am still feeling a bit lost here but taking it one day at a time. I hopped on the 55 and got right downtown this morning. More snow expected tomorrow I think...

Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
You also could take the Cleveland State bus rapid to Crocker Park in Westlake. You shouldn't be much of a walk from a station, but you can ascertain that using Google Transit.

Crocker Park Shopping Center > It's All Happening Here

If you've moved here, consider purchasing an RTA monthly pass, especially as it sounds like you'll be doing much exploring for your first month here.

Perhaps consider visiting the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks while snow is still on the ground.
Yes I do plan to get the monthly pass....got a day pass today and will do so tomorrow. I will probably check out Rocky River area tomorrow and the better part of Lakewood to start anyway. Depending on the weather. And eventually Crocker Park. Thanks! What area do you live in?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If you're relocating to downtown, consider using Priceline with 4 star hotels (you'll likely end up in the Hyatt which occupies much of The Arcade).

Most hotels offer a combo package with the Rock 'n Hall of Fame, if you plan to visit there.

If you're living here now, check out Smart Seats at PlayhouseSquare. If you ever see Smart Seats for the Hanna (Great Lakes Theater) and Allen (Cleveland Play House), grab them as they are great theaters and have no bad seats.

Smart Seats | PlayhouseSquare

Buy theater binoculars if you buy Smart Seats for other PlayhouseSquare theaters. With binoculars, you'll have a great experience.

If you enjoy cinema, check out the Cleveland Cinematheque, one of the nation's best repertory film theaters, and the film festival at the Cleveland Museum of Art, where a $50 membership is a great bargain, considering discounts and free admission to special exhibitions.

Cinematheque | Cleveland Institute of Art College of Art | 800.223.4700

Films | Cleveland Museum of Art
I don't think I'm in a tourist frame of mind right now but will keep all these suggestions in mind once I get over my angst about being in an alien environment. : ) It used to be easy for me to move somewhere but this time it's hard in ways I didn't anticipate. But you make the area sound very appealing - I love cinema, especially foreign, independent and old movies. And I love art so looking forward to the museum. I will be living next month at the Alcazar in Cleveland Heights. I hope my frame of mind is better after a month (or sooner!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland