Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM

49 posts, read 95,180 times

Advertisements

Seems that every time I drive down Pearl Road through Parma Heights its looking awful. Tons of vacant store fronts, check cashing stores, tobacco outlets, sweepstake stores, cash for gold etc. On one hand I can see its better to have some form of business occupy the location but, is it really that hard to attract something a little more attractive? What ever happened to the big development at W130th and Pearl? Now its just an overgrown grassy field with some dirt mounds. Hope the city can find a recipe to turn it around and soon! And yes I know that there is more to the city than Pearl Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM

117 posts, read 244,382 times
Good people move out....certain elements move in.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Everyone drove down the road, saw Strongsville, and said "hmmmmm!"

Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 15,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafygreens View Post
Seems that every time I drive down Pearl Road through Parma Heights its looking awful. Tons of vacant store fronts, check cashing stores, tobacco outlets, sweepstake stores, cash for gold etc. On one hand I can see its better to have some form of business occupy the location but, is it really that hard to attract something a little more attractive? What ever happened to the big development at W130th and Pearl? Now its just an overgrown grassy field with some dirt mounds. Hope the city can find a recipe to turn it around and soon! And yes I know that there is more to the city than Pearl Rd.
Pearl Rd in Parma Heights, particularly around W 130, has seen better days, but the residential area and community is still very attractive. While it's true that good people move out of various communities, including Parma Heights, it's also true that many good people also move in. I'm not a Parma Heights resident, but it's still a great city to live in.

And in response to maxmodder, Strongsville is nice, too, but in my opinion Parma Heights is a more attractive community. Also, believe it or not, there are plenty of people who have moved from Strongsville to Parma Heights as well. And some who move from Parma Heights, skip Strongsville, and find themselves in Brunswick. Some choose Parma. Some never leave. It comes down to personal preference. Greater Cleveland area has much to offer and there's plenty to choose from no matter where you go.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
But Strongsville is awful too. There is no culture in any of those towns! What do they have except corporate stores and restaurants?! Shopping centers, large grocery stores, etc... People in those towns would rather go to an Applebee's than to a local, family-owned restaurant and to a Starbucks rather than a local coffee joint. This is what happens to places like Parma Heights. The small amount of culture that existed is being sucked away. The people who are looking for culture and opportunity are moving out. The people who are looking for cheap housing are moving in.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
The internet happened. The small brick-and-mortar stores which were so prevalent post WW2 through 2000 are essentially being consumed by direct-ship retail. Unfortunately for PH (and about every other community in the US), their main streets are lined with them. In general, PH is still a very decent place to live.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Parma Resident View Post
But Strongsville is awful too. There is no culture in any of those towns! What do they have except corporate stores and restaurants?! Shopping centers, large grocery stores, etc... People in those towns would rather go to an Applebee's than to a local, family-owned restaurant and to a Starbucks rather than a local coffee joint. This is what happens to places like Parma Heights. The small amount of culture that existed is being sucked away. The people who are looking for culture and opportunity are moving out. The people who are looking for cheap housing are moving in.
Mom and pop owned restaruants aren't as big as they use to be as indicated by the success of places like Starbucks and massive chain stores over independantly owned coffee shops and small grocery stores. If people wanted to go to those places, they would, but low price outweighs culture in the eyes of the majoirty. Is what it is.

Back in 2004, the Strongsville mall and surrounding shopping area had 1/2 the traffic that they do now. Why? Because Parmatown and Great Northern areas couldn't hold their own and now many consumers who use to shop in those areas and eat at those surrounding restaruants now head over to Royalton Rd. The people that own property in Strongsville don't like dealing with all this extra congestion. Major North Olmsted and Parma shopping areas have a decent amount of traffic, but no where near that of Strongsville. Instead of it being a 3 way split like it was 10 years ago it's a 60/20/20 split. When I visit the Brunswick/Strongsville/Parma/ area, I'd rather shop on amazon and eat at a nice mom/pop owned restaruant like Jennifers or Don's Pomeroy House on Pearl Rd. Maybe a stop at the Brew Kettle. I can always go to a corporate store and restaruant in my own city.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Wrecking Ball Brings Big Change to Parma Fixture | FOX8.com

Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 AM

34 posts, read 130,579 times
Parma Heights, at least, is still a very safe place to live, from what I can tell, as I have many friends who still live there. On Pearl Road heading north past where Pearl Road Elementary School is and before the water treatment center there are some immense old houses that have been kept up quite well.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM

338 posts, read 559,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
If people wanted to go to those places, they would, but low price outweighs culture in the eyes of the majoirty. Is what it is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland