Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,607,370 times

Advertisements

Hi Clevelanders! We couldn't decide where to go on vacation, and the month of August will be busy for us, so we're just looking to go somewhere for a weekend. We would probably leave early Friday morning since it's only a four hour drive. We've been to Cleveland before, but that was 1997 and I was barely two years old.

I know there is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. About how long does it take to go through everything?

We would also be going to and Indians game, so there is half a day taken up.

Other than that, what else is there to do? It doesn't have to be in the downtown area, as long as it's not too far away.

Also is there anything worth checking out on the way up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM

3,417 posts, read 5,176,962 times
Check out the West Side Market, and the surrounding Ohio City neighborhood. The market is one of the city's most interesting landmarks, and it has great food from many different cultures. If you're a fan of the movie A Christmas Story, you can check out the Christmas Story house, which was the house that was used in the movie, that they have now converted to a museum. It's a cool, quirky attraction, complete with leg lamps for sale. University Circle is cool to check out. The Cleveland Museum of Art is a must see, even if you're not an art lover. The Botanical Gardens complete with 2 glass houses representing Costa Rica and Madagscar, and Natural History Museum are also cool. If you like amusement parks, Cedar Point is about an hour away. If you like nature, check out Cuyahoga Valley National Park, where you can bike or hike along the Ohio and Erie Canal, and ride on a scenic train. There are countless other things to do, it just depends on what you're interested in.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM

11,088 posts, read 12,610,016 times
Spend a day at University Circle, checking out the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art. You could also stroll through the Cultural Gardens. Have lunch or dinner (or both) in Little Italy, just a short walk from University Circle. Not too far from Little Italy is the Coventry area, where you can do some fun shopping, get some good cheap food, and do good people watching. University Circle-Little Italy-Coventry is a really easy, fun day.

Definitely go to W. 25 street too. West Side Market, good restaurants, energetic atmosphere. If you want some nature, you don't have to go all the way to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (though it is awesome). I would recommend a nice walk around the Shaker Nature Center and Shaker Lakes.

Do you have any specific interests or hobbies? We could make some better suggestions if you're looking to find a niche.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. Little Italy sounds interesting, where can I find more info about it, like what shops and restaurants are there?

I wouldn't mind going to Cuyahoga Valley National Park, but I don't think my dad would really care to go. Shaker Nature Center looks nice, but not any different than what we have down here.

I'm interested in baseball and rock & roll (mostly oldies), which reminds me to ask again, is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame take all day to go through? I'm also interested in go karts, but I doubt there are any tracks up there.

We might check out the Natural History Museum.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,336,082 times
If you let us know what weekend you're coming, we can recommend festivals as well.

For example, one of the most popular is the Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy/University Circle from August 15-18:

Feast of the Assumption -- Profile of Cleveland's Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,849,201 times
I've only been once and was decidedly meh on the Rock Hall, but I'd say the time it takes depends on your level of interest. If you're going to read every last thing about every item, then I'd say it might be a solid half day (4-5 hours).

I found it overly expensive and not overly interesting, but I went more because it's something you should do at least once if you live here so you can judge what all the fuss is about for yourself.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
If you let us know what weekend you're coming, we can recommend festivals as well.

For example, one of the most popular is the Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy/University Circle from August 15-18:

Feast of the Assumption -- Profile of Cleveland's Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy
We'd be coming next weekend.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I've only been once and was decidedly meh on the Rock Hall, but I'd say the time it takes depends on your level of interest. If you're going to read every last thing about every item, then I'd say it might be a solid half day (4-5 hours).

I found it overly expensive and not overly interesting, but I went more because it's something you should do at least once if you live here so you can judge what all the fuss is about for yourself.

What didn't you like about it?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM

11,088 posts, read 12,610,016 times
If you really like old rock n roll and are really into music and the people in the bands, you'll love it. If you're not that into it, you won't. It really depends on your intertest level. As a museum, it's pretty nice, laid out well, lots of cool authentic stuff there. It solely depends on you.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
What didn't you like about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If you really like old rock n roll and are really into music and the people in the bands, you'll love it. If you're not that into it, you won't. It really depends on your intertest level. As a museum, it's pretty nice, laid out well, lots of cool authentic stuff there. It solely depends on you.
Pretty much this. The jacket that so and so wore when he did some concert in 1973 just doesn't do much for me. Rinse & repeat that 500 times for $25 bucks admission = Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland