Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and greetings from Pittsburgh.

My girlfriend planned a trip to Cleveland for my birthday. We're planning to arrive Friday morning and stay until Sunday afternoon. I spent some time perusing this subforum and found a lot of good info, but I have a few specific questions.
  • Little Italy

Friday afternoon we're planning to have lunch at an Italian restaurant in the Little Italy/University Circle area. I'm looking for a decent handmade pasta (ravioli, gnocchi, cavatelli, etc.) and some good wine. It doesn't really have to be anything fancy, as long as the food is fresh and well prepared. (I'm typically a little biased towards "dives" anyway. . . ) We're considering Trattoria.

• Cabs

I'm staying at the Hampton on 9th street and going to a concert at Wolstein Center. During the day, I can drive around the City, but I'd like to not drive to the concert. Afterwards, we'll definitely be going to some bars on East 6th street. We're planning to walk, but if the weather is lousy I'd like to take a cab to the concert. Will it be difficult to catch a cab from the Hampton to Wolstein and then from Wolstein to East 6th on a Friday night?

• Subway

After arriving on Friday morning, I'd like to park near the Hotel on 9th and take the subway over to the University Circle Area. It looks to be just a short walk from the hotel to the station on Prospect. Is this a reasonable plan? If so, are there any unique "best practices" that I'll need to follow? (I generally know how to use and behave while riding a subway).

• Great Lakes Brewery / West Side Market

On Saturday we're thinking about taking a tour of the Great Lakes brewery and spending some time at the West Side Market. Has anyone done the Brewery tours? Are they a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon in the area, or should we scrap that idea in lieu of something else? Are there any particular "must try" things at the market?

• Residential Areas

I'd like to spend some time walking around one of Cleveland's more urban residential neighborhoods. I'm interested in anything from neat architecture to neighborhood bars/cafes. What are some areas that I should consider checking out? Are there any that are easily accessible from the Hampton on 9th via the bus or subway?
Thanks in advance for the advice. Please feel free to make any suggestions, as I'm pretty much always willing to yield to the advice of a someone that actually knows the City. We're excited to visit!

Last edited by ML North; 02-20-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

223 posts, read 397,963 times
sounds like a great time to me. :-)

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
  • Little Italy

Friday afternoon we're planning to have lunch at an Italian restaurant in the Little Italy/University Circle area. I'm looking for a decent handmade pasta (ravioli, gnocchi, cavatelli, etc.) and some good wine. It doesn't really have to be anything fancy, as long as the food is fresh and well prepared. (I'm typically a little biased towards "dives" anyway. . . ) We're considering Trattoria.
That'll work. Or, consider Gusto, Etna, or La Dolce Vita. Mama Santa's is almost a must also. It's inexpensive and very popular (though I don't think it's the best). If you want to go high-end, Michelangelo's is a great choice.
Quote:

• Cabs
Cabs shouldn't be a problem, though you may have to call one. Walking is also an option. It's a little bit of a hike, but it's not too bad.

Quote:
  • Subway
Walk up E. 9th to Euclid Ave. and take the Healthline. It's a dedicated bus line that runs along Euclid from Public Square.

Quote:
I've never done the tour, but I can tell you that the beer is damn tasty. The WSM has many things to offer. I would say to try Crepes de Luxe and/or Steve's Gyros depending on how hungry you are. Also, enjoy the general neighborhood and area. It's a rapidly redeveloping area that has literally exploded over the past decade. I also suggest checking out Crop (a restaurant) which is caddy-corner to the WSM. It's in a totally amazing, refurbished bank building.
Quote:
  • Residential Areas
  • Try Ohio City, Tremont, Coventry, Cedar Hill, Little Italy, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights/Shaker Square.
Don't forget to visit E. 4th, also.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,289,444 times
First of all, welcome!

Ironically, my girlfriend and I recently visited Pittsburgh and stayed downtown. We greatly enjoyed the Andy Warhol museum and Southside neighborhood.

I live in the University Circle neighborhood, so if you have any specific questions about it, please let me know.

Quote:
  • Little Italy

IMO the best restaurant in Little Italy (plus it's a complete dive!) is Etna Etna

It's slightly more pricey than a few other places (pasta $12-20), but a must if it's your only time in Little Italy -- well worth it. The owner chef, Pepe, is a character (very heavy accent) and generally comes out from the kitchen to talk to the customers if it he's not too busy. He does 100% of the cooking.

They have this Seafood Pasta that is the best I ever had...wish I could think of the name. As Pepe is from Sicily, he makes the best Seafood in the neighborhood as well FYI

Trattoria is best known for bigger portions.

Desert: I'd recommend Presti's Bakery or Corbo's Bakery (both on the main drag)

Quote:
  • Cabs

I'm staying at the Hampton on 9th street and going to a concert at Wolstein Center. During the day, I can drive around the City, but I'd like to not drive to the concert. Afterwards, we'll definitely be going to some bars on East 6th street. We're planning to walk, but if the weather is lousy I'd like to take a cab to the concert. Will it be difficult to catch a cab from the Hampton to Wolstein and then from Wolstein to East 6th on a Friday night?
I'd go through your hotel front desk and ask for a cab. Normally I'd recommend the E-Line (FREE, but that runs only M-F) or the Healthline (would require two all day passes), but getting a cab seems like a the easiest option.

W.6th is clubs, E. 4th is bars and restaurants BTW

Quote:
  • Subway

After arriving on Friday morning, I'd like to park near the Hotel on 9th and take the subway over to the University Circle Area. It looks to be just a short walk from the hotel to the station on Prospect. Is this a reasonable plan? If so, are there any unique "best practices" that I'll need to follow? (I generally know how to use and behave while riding a subway).

Two Options:

RedLine -- Get on at Tower City and get off at E.120-Euclid
Healthline -- Get on at E.9th street and get off at any of the UC stops

Quote:
On Saturday we're thinking about taking a tour of the Great Lakes brewery and spending some time at the West Side Market. Has anyone done the Brewery tours? Are they a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon in the area, or should we scrap that idea in lieu of something else? Are there any particular "must try" things at the market?
Yes to both! Saturday morning is the best time to go to the market. Parking is very difficult so you know, so it may be a good idea to take the RedLine from Tower City to W.25th (buying all day passes could allow you to catch the Healthline to the Wolstein Center later that day as well)

The neighborhood is Ohio City and a cool place to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon.

I've been on the FREE brewery tours and highly recommend them.

Regarding the Westside Market, there is a great breakfast diner attached that could be good for breakfast/brunch. Also, this is an indoor balcony that is a must (good place to early treats) overlooking the masses. People seem to forget it is there. Being up top will give this view: Westside Market, CLE, OH | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mshiffphotography/6311233813/ - broken link)

Quote:
  • Residential Areas

I'd like to spend some time walking around one of Cleveland's more urban residential neighborhoods. I'm interested in anything from neat architecture to neighborhood bars/cafes. What are some areas that I should consider checking out? Are there any that are easily accessible from the Hampton on 9th via the bus or subway?
Ohio City, University Circle/Little Italy, Tremont, and Shaker Square are generally considered the most interesting urban neighborhoods.

Ohio City, University Circle, and Shaker Square are all accessible by train.

For gorgeous architecture, take a trip down Fairmount Blvd in Cleveland Hts. Lakewood is a very cool inner ring suburb as well.

Quote:

Thanks in advance for the advice. Please feel free to make any suggestions, as I'm pretty much always willing to yield to the advice of a someone that actually knows the City. We're excited to visit!
OK, here are a few possible additions:

1) Cleveland Museum of Art (FREE) plus Rembrandt special exhibit -- The Cleveland Museum of Art
2) E.4th Street East Fourth Neighborhood: Homepages - "Cleveland's Premiere Downtown Living Destination"
3) "A Christmas Story" House and Museum - A Christmas Story House - Ralphie’s House Restored to its A Christmas Story Splendor

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

A cool place for Saturday or Sunday brunch, I'd recommend here (in the Tremont neighborhood):

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: Lucky's Cafe - YouTube

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM

306 posts, read 821,565 times
I echo all of the comments above.

I would like to stress though I'd do the Healthline BRT instead of the Red Line if you're plan is to take public transit to UC. It is a decent hike from the rail stations to most of the museums and attractions in UC. The Healthline is more direct - more of a short walk instead of a hike. Its a bus but it works exactly like hopping on the train with dedicated stations, etc.

Only other thing I'd add is that you'll probably have to call for a cab. Finding a random cab in Cleveland is usually pretty difficult.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

First, this is a great post. Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
First of all, welcome!

Ironically, my girlfriend and I recently visited Pittsburgh and stayed downtown. We greatly enjoyed the Andy Warhol museum and Southside neighborhood.
Nice. Glad you enjoyed your visit. I actually live relatively close to the Warhol.

Quote:
IMO the best restaurant in Little Italy (plus it's a complete dive!) is Etna Etna

It's slightly more pricey than a few other places (pasta $12-20), but a must if it's your only time in Little Italy -- well worth it. The owner chef, Pepe, is a character (very heavy accent) and generally comes out from the kitchen to talk to the customers if it he's not too busy. He does 100% of the cooking.

They have this Seafood Pasta that is the best I ever had...wish I could think of the name. As Pepe is from Sicily, he makes the best Seafood in the neighborhood as well FYI
Hmm. We're going to have to check this out. The menu looks great, and my family is actually from the same province as the owner. The Filetto al Nero D'Avol sounds incredible.

Quote:
Yes to both! Saturday morning is the best time to go to the market. Parking is very difficult so you know, so it may be a good idea to take the RedLine from Tower City to W.25th (buying all day passes could allow you to catch the Healthline to the Wolstein Center later that day as well)

The neighborhood is Ohio City and a cool place to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon.

I've been on the FREE brewery tours and highly recommend them.

Regarding the Westside Market, there is a great breakfast diner attached that could be good for breakfast/brunch. Also, this is an indoor balcony that is a must (good place to early treats) overlooking the masses. People seem to forget it is there. Being up top will give this view: Westside Market, CLE, OH | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mshiffphotography/6311233813/ - broken link)
This seems like it will all fit together quite nicely. I'm thinking that we will catch the red line over to WSM, have breakfast and spend some time there and then head on over to Great Lakes. I like the idea of having beer for breakfast's dessert.

Quote:
Ohio City, University Circle/Little Italy, Tremont, and Shaker Square are generally considered the most interesting urban neighborhoods.

Ohio City, University Circle, and Shaker Square are all accessible by train.

For gorgeous architecture, take a trip down Fairmount Blvd in Cleveland Hts. Lakewood is a very cool inner ring suburb as well.
I've been exploring these a little with Google Maps. Ohio City looks awesome and kind of reminds me of some of the neighborhoods I've visited in Chicago. We should be able to check out that particular 'hood on Saturday after visiting Great Lakes.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
I would like to stress though I'd do the Healthline BRT instead of the Red Line if you're plan is to take public transit to UC. It is a decent hike from the rail stations to most of the museums and attractions in UC. The Healthline is more direct - more of a short walk instead of a hike. Its a bus but it works exactly like hopping on the train with dedicated stations, etc.
We're going to probably do that. I didn't know about the Healthline, actually, but BRT is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
Only other thing I'd add is that you'll probably have to call for a cab. Finding a random cab in Cleveland is usually pretty difficult.
Yeah, I was thinking this would be the case. I'll have the front desk call one for me -- hopefully they have some "sweet hookups."

Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 AM

EDIT DISCLAIMER: Hmm wait, the hotwire link says the property has a pool, and I'm pretty sure the Hyatt does not, so I may be wrong.

Have you payed for your hotel or only reserved it?

I'm pretty sure I just found the Hyatt Arcade (built 1890 by Rockefeller) for only $70 a night via Hotwire. Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com

Betterbidding seems to point to this as the case as well 3.5* Cleveland (Downtown) Hyatt Regency - Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Here's the hotel: Downtown Cleveland Hotels -Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade- Ohio Hotel Reservation

Last edited by costello_musicman; 02-21-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
EDIT DISCLAIMER: Hmm wait, the hotwire link says the property has a pool, and I'm pretty sure the Hyatt does not, so I may be wrong.

Have you payed for your hotel or only reserved it?

I'm pretty sure I just found the Hyatt Arcade (built 1890 by Rockefeller) for only $70 a night via Hotwire. Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com

Betterbidding seems to point to this as the case as well 3.5* Cleveland (Downtown) Hyatt Regency - Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Here's the hotel: Downtown Cleveland Hotels -Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade- Ohio Hotel Reservation
We actually already booked, but thanks for the thought. My girlfriend booked on Hotwire for about $80/night, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland