Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM

220 posts, read 321,817 times

Advertisements

I support changing the Browns to Bulldogs, that makes sense. Burning River Rockers sounds good though I dont think there is anything wrong with the name Cavaliers and I like my Indians the way they are thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Burning River Rockers
I think there's an antiseptic for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I actually kinda like the Cleveland Spiders. I would support a change back to that.
Think of all the fun you could have with that! Unleashing thousands of them in the stands ...

Hey, what about the Cleveland Mayflies? I hear they've hatched ... Maybe that would break the June Swoon.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
I always liked the Cleveland Falcons. or the Cleveland Peregrines.

Cleveland ranks 4th for the highest number of Peregrine Falcon nests within the city limits behind some of the largest cities in the US.

I even submitted that when the Monsters were asking for suggestions for their name.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I always liked the Cleveland Falcons. or the Cleveland Peregrines.

Cleveland ranks 4th for the highest number of Peregrine Falcon nests within the city limits behind some of the largest cities in the US.

I even submitted that when the Monsters were asking for suggestions for their name.
You just want them named after you .

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
I support changing the Browns to Bulldogs, that makes sense. Burning River Rockers sounds good though I dont think there is anything wrong with the name Cavaliers and I like my Indians the way they are thank you.
I didn't know there was a Cleveland Bulldogs team until this evening; very interesting! But, if Cleveland went from Browns to Bulldogs, wouldn't that be kinda like Massillon and Canton McKinley switching mascots?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
It's already based on the local Indian culture, obv.
I thought the Cleveland Indians name was based on the first Native American Indian MLB player, who played for the Cleveland Indians.

Or am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Indians would be Spiders
What is the history behind that name?

Last edited by Joke Insurance; 06-20-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,735 times
Back in the late 1800s the National League Cleveland team was called the "Spiders" because they had several tall, and real lanky players. They set a record for futility in 1899 going 20-134. The owners of the team switched every good player to the same St. Louis team they also owned. Haha maybe not the best in terms of history I guess.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I thought the Cleveland Indians name was based on the first Native American Indian MLB player, who played for the Cleveland Indians.

Or am I wrong?

What is the history behind that name?
The truth behind Sockalexis is much different than what the team wants you to believe.

An Act of Honor or Exploitation

Quote:
Two aspects of the story are particularly salient. First, Sockalexis is not mentioned in the stories recounting the selection of the name. Second, the Plain Dealer reported that the nickname was "but temporarily bestowed" until such time as the team could "earn some other cognomen which may be more appropriate" ("Baseball Writers Select...", January 17, 1915, Part Three, Page One). This statement does not support the notion that the name was intended to permanently pertain to the team let alone permanently honor a figure who did not warrant mention at the time the selection was announced.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,735 times
Oh that's a legit source, c'mon now man! I am glad that this is just a message board and not real life, because I don't know how some of you people walk without falling down.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Oh that's a legit source, c'mon now man! I am glad that this is just a message board and not real life, because I don't know how some of you people walk without falling down.
Did you read it?

Quote:
An Act of Honor or Exploitation?:

The Cleveland Indians’ Use of the Louis Francis Sockalexis Story

by Ellen J. Staurowsky, Ed.D.

Associate Professor, Sport Sociology

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

607-274-1730, staurows@ithaca.edu

This article was published in

Sociology of Sport Journal, 1998, 15 299-316.

Look at the end. Every single source is cited.

Take a break from dragging your knuckles and read something every once in a while. Feel free to look up all the information yourself. You asked "am I wrong?" afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland