Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,010,836 times

Advertisements

Hey fellow Cleveland sports fans! I wanted to get your thoughts on what it would take to get the Cleveland Browns to finally start winning, and bring their way back to respectability? As you can see since 1999 the only thing that has been consistent about the Browns is finding a way to lose, and being in constant rebuild mode. Every few years since the return of this franchise it's been bring in new front office personnel, bring in a new coach, wash... rinse... repeat. In todays NFL with the salary cap, and revenue sharing it is set up so that even the worst teams can go from worst to first in a very short time, yet we still continue to struggle. The Browns have been back for 12 seasons now! This should have been ample time to field a respectable team that we can once again be proud of! So I ask... what is the reason for the continued losing?

Is it ownership? When Al Lerner died his son Randy inherited the team. The Browns were in the midst of what turned into a playoff season (even though they went one and done) but Butch Davis was in his 2nd year and after going a combined 5-27 in the previous 2 seasons, they showed much promise. After which the wheels once again fell off. Could it be that because Randy inherited the team and the lack of experience with running an NFL team, or running it from behind the scenes could be the issue? I mean, the guy doesn't EVEN live in Cleveland!

Did the NFL intentionally screw us? Yes they promised us a team via expansion while allowing us to keep the name history, and colors as they should have. Art Modell was well liked by the NFL and the rest of the owners. Considering we made life miserable for him when he announced the move, as well as jammed the NFL fax lines and protested the move, could it be the NFL paying us back for making a huge stink about it? Think about it, the other 2 expansion teams Jacksonville, and Carolina were given 2 full years to put their front offices in place, and were also given a much better talent pool in the expansion drafts than the Browns were alotted! While the Browns were given less than 1 year to put their ownership group and front office together.

I have been a Browns fan my whole life, and they were a huge part of growing up. I doubt I can ever stop being a fan, but the years of losing is getting old fast! While the other 2 major franchises take a huge hit in attendance when they're bad, the Browns always get a pass in this town for sucking! I have a feeling that Cleveland is losing it's patience! I'm sick of having to revert back way back to the 80s to find great memories of the Browns, and they didn't EVEN get to the Super Bowl back then! Courtesy of John Elway of course.

I'd love to hear your thoughts Cleveland fans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 AM

117 posts, read 244,809 times
Unfortunetly the Browns will never be good again until the fans stop going to the games.

Let's face it they have been bad for 10 out of the 12 years they have been back. Yet the fans continue to support the team and fill the stadium, buy merchandise etc. Why put a great product on the field when you can put a mediocre product (less payroll) and you still make tons of money?

It's like GM and Ford for YEARS they were putting out crappy cars but people were still buying them. Then people woke up started buying Toyota's and GM ended up getting bailed out. Until recently (in my opinion, the last 2 years) GM and Ford are putting out quality cars and are thus whiping the floor with the competition in America.

Sunday's game is an example of what needs to happen. Season opener,at home, stadium was not at full capacity. I think 67,000 people went... stadium holds 74,000. In 2010, we were 20th in the league in attendance... A far cry from 2008 we were 9th in the league.

As for the team, they will be as bad as they were last year and the year before. They did nothing to improve themselves from last year. In fact they maybe worse considering the offensive line is mostly injured.

We didn't sign a pass rusher on defense, our linebackers are solid but not spectacular (in my opinion you need a linebacker who sets the tone for your defense). We didn't sign any big receivers or draft one that can get separation from the defense.

That's just my opinion many will probably not agree but it's my opinion, I think the fans are starting to get fed up with the Browns... as well they should. It's down right embarrasing. I'm not writing them off for this year yet, but a loss to the Colts and the season is pretty much done.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremclippers View Post
Unfortunetly the Browns will never be good again until the fans stop going to the games.

Let's face it they have been bad for 10 out of the 12 years they have been back. Yet the fans continue to support the team and fill the stadium, buy merchandise etc. Why put a great product on the field when you can put a mediocre product (less payroll) and you still make tons of money?

It's like GM and Ford for YEARS they were putting out crappy cars but people were still buying them. Then people woke up started buying Toyota's and GM ended up getting bailed out. Until recently (in my opinion, the last 2 years) GM and Ford are putting out quality cars and are thus whiping the floor with the competition in America.

Sunday's game is an example of what needs to happen. Season opener,at home, stadium was not at full capacity. I think 67,000 people went... stadium holds 74,000. In 2010, we were 20th in the league in attendance... A far cry from 2008 we were 9th in the league.

As for the team, they will be as bad as they were last year and the year before. They did nothing to improve themselves from last year. In fact they maybe worse considering the offensive line is mostly injured.

We didn't sign a pass rusher on defense, our linebackers are solid but not spectacular (in my opinion you need a linebacker who sets the tone for your defense). We didn't sign any big receivers or draft one that can get separation from the defense.

That's just my opinion many will probably not agree but it's my opinion, I think the fans are starting to get fed up with the Browns... as well they should. It's down right embarrasing. I'm not writing them off for this year yet, but a loss to the Colts and the season is pretty much done.

Thanks for the feedback. And that is why I referenced that the Browns get a free pass in this town for sucking. Perhaps Randy doesn't care, because he continues to make money. I mean, I would enjoy his billionaire status as well, but I guess it's a pride issue for me. Perhaps hitting Randy in his wallet would send a message. I used to have season tickets and stopped going, as it got too costly, and during a Browns-Steelers game they told me that I had to either put my jacket on, or turn my "Pittsburgh Still Sucks" t-shirt inside out! Needless to say the patience with the Browns not winning is wearing thin, and in this economy I wouldn't blame fans if they stopped buying tickets. I hope Randy is smart enough to realize it.

I agree about this game as well. Lose to the Colts, and it's another long season!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

54 posts, read 186,366 times
Don't go running Holmgren and Heckert out of town after two seasons, and don't go running Shurmur out of town after one.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmc783 View Post
Don't go running Holmgren and Heckert out of town after two seasons, and don't go running Shurmur out of town after one.

That wasn't where I was going, but I do want to see progress. I saw a bit of it yesterday by taking advantage of a team that was down. In other words they did what they were supposed to and beat a team they should've beat!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
We've got a running back, and quarter back, a tight end and a decent defense.
We need receivers...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
We've got a running back, and quarter back, a tight end and a decent defense.
We need receivers...

Yes we do. I understand building through the draft, but I was hoping to see them a bit more active in free agency in trying to land an experienced WR.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,108,708 times
A move to Baltimore. j/k

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
A move to Baltimore. j/k

Been there. Done that! I saw that the Ravens lost yesterday as well! 4 way tie for first place! I hope it lasts. I'd love nothing more than to see the Steelers and Ravens fall hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: