Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,100 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Cleveland area from Westerville. I live in the Polaris area. I have a young family and like the suburb feel. I am looking for a strong school district, modern housing, and a place that we can be involved in the community. As we don't know anyone in the area, we are looking for a place that is safe and social.

From internet searching only, we have narrowed it down to 2 places -- Avon Lake and Strongsville. Please provide any thoughts that can help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM

192 posts, read 492,416 times
Both fairly similar. I'd say that Strongsville has more shopping, the mall, and chain restaurants, but if you chose to live in Avon Lake you could find many of the same convieniences in Avon Commons in Avon, Crocker Park in Westlake, and the Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted.

Avon Lake is, as the name suggests, right on Lake Erie, so if you had lake views, that would win over Strongsville in my book.

Both cities' school districts are pretty well regarded as well.

If you're going to be commuting into Downtown Cleveland or University Circle, I'd say that Avon Lake would have less traffic congestion during rush hours.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,060 times
I have never been to Ohio but I am looking at a job in Strongsville. I have been looking at Stongsville, Westlake and Medina. I am married with kids ranging from preschool to middle school. I am looking for a quick commute, good public schools, nearby shopping and want to stay under $550k for a home. Any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirdlizzy View Post
I have never been to Ohio but I am looking at a job in Strongsville. I have been looking at Stongsville, Westlake and Medina. I am married with kids ranging from preschool to middle school. I am looking for a quick commute, good public schools, nearby shopping and want to stay under $550k for a home. Any suggestions?
That is all doable in Strongsville for sure. Look into Olmsted Falls too, I just like their vibe a little better.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,644 times
Quote:
Check out the Still Meadows development off Albion where Fox Grove Rd/Coopers Run is located. Lots of very nice homes well under your price range (3000 sq ft for under $300K) in a safe development that is filled with kids and has great access to 71 and route 80. Strongsville has a state of the art community center, arguably the best mall on the west side, excellent parks (Great Mill Stream run reservation), and a very good school system. Pearl Rd can be congested at times as well as Royalton Rd. but that's what back roads like prospect and Albion are for. I lived and worked in Strongsville for 5 years and was very happy there.

Olmsted Falls is nice, and has a nice little downtown area with some of the best deserts Cuyahoga county has to offer. Check out the tax base though. Nearest mall to Olmsted falls is North Olmsted. I prefer Strongsville shopping over North Olmsted. I say stick with Strongsville for the short commute times to work. The air port is very close if your job involves any form of travel.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
For that kind of money, Cuyahoga County is your Oyster.
You can live anywhere.
In fact I just saw the COOLEST HOUSE in Fairview Park that abuts right up to the Metro Park for like $280K or something. I will see if I can find it.
Of your 3 choices I would personally? Choose none.
Decent choices if working in Strongsville maybe not Westlake if you want a SHORT commute. There are better options closer.
I think Medina is a BIT far from the city proper. I have a friend in Medina who jokes she doesn't feel like a Clevelander because she is so far. But it's not far from Strongsville.
I do think you shouldn't limit yourself to just those three though. Other 'burbs you should add to your list:

Brunswick*, Independence*, Columbia Station, Hinkley, North Royalton*, Brecksville*, North Olmsted, Berea, Fairview Park*. I wouldn't hesitate to live in any of these (and I grew up in North Olmsted) but the ones I starred I think would be a slightly better fit for you... knowing nothing about you, of course. Just making an assumption based on your budget.

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-14-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
This isn't the one I thought of. That must have sold. And 6 beds/4 baths might be a bit much. But $$210K???

20935 Mastick Rd, Fairview Park, OH 44126 - Zillow

Check this one out:
20695 Parkcliff Dr, Cleveland, OH 44126 - Zillow
(Not sure why that says Cleveland, it is certainly Fairview)

Hmmm, maybe I should be selling houses?
Here is a nice one in a very quiet area just around the corner from suburban hustle bustle.
4394 Valley Forge Dr, Fairview Park, OH 44126 - Zillow

Fairview is a seriously under rated suburb, particularly on this board. Very good schools. Close to every amenity you could want. Top notch city services. Really great recreation center, excellent library.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM

101 posts, read 204,199 times
Avon Lake would be better if you are going downtown or want to be near the Lake. Still close to Crocker Park, Avon Commons, and even Great Northern.

Strongsville has a big mall too. Easier to get to airport but a little hard if you plan to go to downtown a lot.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,644 times
You'll enjoy far less traffic in both areas compared to Polaris.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 AM

213 posts, read 698,202 times
When you say that modern houses are on your list of wants, are talking modern in the Frank Lloyd Wright sense of the word or are you thinking modern in terms of something contemporary and built this century? If it's the latter, the majority of houses in the more inner core suburbs of Cleveland (Fairview, Lakewood, Rocky River, Shaker Heights, University Heights) are much older and you may have trouble finding what you are looking for.

You would have your best luck in the two places that you are looking as they are primarily newer homes. I would also recommend adding Avon (lower taxes) and Westlake to your lists.

Of the two, I guess it depends more on what you are looking for. I would think you could get more house for your money in Strongsville. On the other hand, I believe Avon Lake has cheaper taxes as it is in Lorain County and it is also much more scenic with the lake being close. Schools, community, commute are all pretty comparable give or take. Slight edge to Strongsville for shopping but Avon Lake is no slouch with most everything in close proximity.

Last edited by Rumble; 12-22-2012 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland