Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,214 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I currently live in Tremont, and for prospective residents of this area in Cleveland, I'd like to offer my "review".

It's a cool, hip, fun little place to call home. I live in one of the oldest high rises in Cleveland, with the first elevator installed in the city. A lot of history here. Some cool neighbors, lots of great places to eat, shop, little art galleries.

Crime: I've had my car broken into twice in the 6 months I have lived here. Don't leave stuff out where it's visible. My apartment complex, The Chelsea Building doesn't have very good lighting behind the building. They say they have cameras, and I've asked to see the tapes to no avail.

I was parked on west 14th and my car was hit by a drunk driver. It was totaled.

Homeless; There are some bums, most will ask you for change and leave you alone. I don't see many during the winter months. The summer months there are some. There's one guy who has a great story about his grandmother being in an accident "last night" and needing money for the bus. He asked me this on a few occasions, and it's pretty funny. He really sticks with his story.

Shopping: There is Steelyard Commons right around the roundabout with tons of shopping, the Walmart is one place to avoid as it's a cesspool. It's literally disgusting. The other shops are fine. There are many cool shops in Tremont that sell some cool stuff. One of them recently moved out - they sold some cool vintage crap.

Eating: What can I say - Lolita, Edisons, Prosperity, Tremont Scoops, Tremont Tavern, and a ton of other great places. I didn't name all of them, but I've been to all of them and haven't been disappointed in a meal yet.

All things said, I enjoy it here. It's a nice little neighborhood, and yes there is crime here so please do not think that because it's a hip little area that the crime somehow skips this place. Be safe, be cautious.

Hope this is of some help to someone. I love my neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,127,482 times
I really enjoy Tremont, it's like this little old village that's apart from, but yet, still a part of, a bigger city. The pace is very slow like a small town, which is appealing; not the hustle & bustle rat-race... About the only time you realize your connected to Cleveland is when an RTA bus (the #81) plies down Professor... This makes it a lot different from neighbor Ohio City, which is very much a bustling Cleveland neighborhood (replete with a bunch of busy RTA bus lines + the Red Line rapid) ... In Tremont, I love the shops along Professor and all the old architecture. The old onion-domed Russian Othrodox churches and old houses are what attracted movie cameras from "The Deer Hunter" to "The Christmas Story" over the years... It has got to be one of the fastest growing neighborhoods, housing-wise... It seems each time I visit, there's a brand new housing tract on the Literary bluffs, ... and beyond... On our last visit, we noted the amazing old (Gospel?) Press apartment adaptive-reuse appeared largely occupied. I also love the huge Lincoln Park, with the small town gazebo in the middle... It's all so quirky and neat. It's one of the most unique neighborhoods in America. ... Still, I'm not naive enough to believe that there's no crime in Tremont, ... it still has a significant segment living at or below the poverty level, living cheek to jowl with yuppie gentrification crowd. To me, that is how sophisticated cities should be...

Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 AM

192 posts, read 492,949 times
yes, tremont's up there on my list of best neighborhoods, if not the best :-)

Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,911,244 times
Welcome to the forum, Carl! Glad you are enjoying Tremont. I am looking at a few places there right now.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,214 times
Yeah, there's a bunch of petty crime here. ie - I've had my car broken into now twice in the lot here, and my friends car just broken into on Friday. It's just stuff, but c'mon...

This is probably the most unique place I've lived. I've lived in Pittsburgh (downtown), Hudson (a nice little town, but not unique it's like every ritsy suburb), Chardon, Akron, Streetsboro, etc. They all have their perks, but Tremont is quite the place to call home!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM

367 posts, read 622,604 times
Is there a grocery store in Tremont yet? I haven't been back to Cleveland for a while.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,186,773 times
Not a full-blown one. There are a few convenience stores. I don't know if there will ever really be one there given the fact that the Steelyard Commons, WSM, and Dave's on Bridge are so close.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,331,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Not a full-blown one. There are a few convenience stores. I don't know if there will ever really be one there given the fact that the Steelyard Commons, WSM, and Dave's on Bridge are so close.
They're not so close if your priority is walkability. That's what always drove me so crazy about Cleveland. Things are too spread out.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,186,773 times
Well, you essentially have two choices:

1.) Have a grocery store every 4-5 blocks, pay through the nose, and live on top of each other (NYC, Chicago, etc.).
2.) Have a grocery store every 1/2 mi. - 1 mi., pay moderate prices, and have some breathing room.

If it's so important for something like a store to be "walkable" on a daily basis, one could choose to live closer to that chosen center of commerce.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,954,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, you essentially have two choices:

1.) Have a grocery store every 4-5 blocks, pay through the nose, and live on top of each other (NYC, Chicago, etc.).
2.) Have a grocery store every 1/2 mi. - 1 mi., pay moderate prices, and have some breathing room.

If it's so important for something like a store to be "walkable" on a daily basis, one could choose to live closer to that chosen center of commerce.
Good answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland