Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,911,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, you essentially have two choices:

1.) Have a grocery store every 4-5 blocks, pay through the nose, and live on top of each other (NYC, Chicago, etc.).
2.) Have a grocery store every 1/2 mi. - 1 mi., pay moderate prices, and have some breathing room.

If it's so important for something like a store to be "walkable" on a daily basis, one could choose to live closer to that chosen center of commerce.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 PM

674 posts, read 1,057,446 times
Not only that, but .5 miles to destination (especially one that is a once or twice a week location like an actual grocery store) is not unreasonable at all. In fact, I would kill for that much convenience.

I'm Cleveland bound from Chicago and I can assure you that even in a city of Chicago's walkability, I didn't have anywhere (on my budget at least) that I was prepared to shop at closer than .5 away miles on average. One or two items from the corner store every now and then maybe. But if I was actually doing grocery shopping, my rear was on public transportation where the extra 15 minutes it took to get to a decent market was worth the 50 dollars I saved on my goods as a result.

Anybody who thinks that walking half a mile to point B is unreasonable is someone who could use every bit of that half mile exercise most likely; that or get off of their lazy ass. Eight minutes of walking has never killed anyone that I know of. If it's a matter of your destination being further away than that; then public transit (or the car that almost everyone in Cleveland has anyways) is your saving grace.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Not only that, but .5 miles to destination (especially one that is a once or twice a week location like an actual grocery store) is not unreasonable at all. In fact, I would kill for that much convenience.

I'm Cleveland bound from Chicago and I can assure you that even in a city of Chicago's walkability, I didn't have anywhere (on my budget at least) that I was prepared to shop at closer than .5 away miles on average. One or two items from the corner store every now and then maybe. But if I was actually doing grocery shopping, my rear was on public transportation where the extra 15 minutes it took to get to a decent market was worth the 50 dollars I saved on my goods as a result.

Anybody who thinks that walking half a mile to point B is unreasonable is someone who could use every bit of that half mile exercise most likely; that or get off of their lazy ass. Eight minutes of walking has never killed anyone that I know of. If it's a matter of your destination being further away than that; then public transit (or the car that almost everyone in Cleveland has anyways) is your saving grace.
I, for one, find a half mile quite walkable, even in the dead of winter. And right now, where I live in Chicago, I have no fewer than five supermarkets within a half-mile walk: two Jewels, one Treasure Island, one Whole Foods, and since the end of November, a new Walmart Express.

I can't imagine having to lug bags of groceries home on the bus. I know people who do it, but personally, the thought of it makes me shudder. And I no longer drive due to medical reasons. If I were ever to move back to Cleveland, I would be very limited in where I could live, unless I were willing to tolerate a boatload of inconvenience.

High population density is what makes truly walkable areas possible -- where you can enjoy a lot of options (not just shopping, but dining, entertainment, etc.) within a short distance of where you live. I didn't hate Cleveland when I lived there, but I never quite felt like I was in a "real" city. That's why I moved.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,911,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I, for one, find a half mile quite walkable, even in the dead of winter. And right now, where I live in Chicago, I have no fewer than five supermarkets within a half-mile walk: two Jewels, one Treasure Island, one Whole Foods, and since the end of November, a new Walmart Express.

I can't imagine having to lug bags of groceries home on the bus. I know people who do it, but personally, the thought of it makes me shudder. And I no longer drive due to medical reasons. If I were ever to move back to Cleveland, I would be very limited in where I could live, unless I were willing to tolerate a boatload of inconvenience.

High population density is what makes truly walkable areas possible -- where you can enjoy a lot of options (not just shopping, but dining, entertainment, etc.) within a short distance of where you live. I didn't hate Cleveland when I lived there, but I never quite felt like I was in a "real" city. That's why I moved.
I feel like I am in a real city. Granted I grew up outside of Indy, but Cleveland has a lot more to offer than most cities around the country. Cleveland will never be Chicago, and I am perfectly fine with that. Chicago has more to offer and feels like a realer city because it has 2.3 million more people than Cleveland. So a bigger population and a bigger population density (about twice Cleveland's). I am going to assume that would warrant the markets within such a short walking distance.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:

I don't think that what you're describing in Lakeview can be considered the norm in Chicago as far as proximity to affordable groceries. Not in any place that I've lived at least. I'm not sure why the idea of taking groceries home on public transit makes you "shudder" so to speak either. That's what the purpose of public transportation is; to connect residents with goods, services, people and recreation. It's not difficult unless you're buying for a family of four as one person; and even then walking home with groceries would be a huge nuisance just the same.

But other than that, Cleveland is absolutely more suburban in general, in fact; it was really a shock for me to notice just how suburban parts of Cleveland feel after living in Chicago. But I suppose that "walkability" in my opinion as someone who also does not own a car; would also tie in with general access to effective public transit otherwise that can get me to point B in a timely manner. Even in Ohio City (which I would say is the closest thing to a truly walkable neighborhood in Cleveland) I feel at best that I'm in an area like Ravenswood or Lincoln Square, which are extremely urban; but nowhere near the scale that areas like Lincoln Park and Lakeview are in terms of development and access to goods and services right outside your front door.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
I'm Cleveland bound from Chicago
You're at least the third person on these boards in recent memory who moved from Chicago to Cleveland or who was in the process of planning such a move. As one who made the move in the opposite direction some years back, I'm just curious: What made you decide to leave Chicago and move to Cleveland?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You're at least the third person on these boards in recent memory who moved from Chicago to Cleveland or who was in the process of planning such a move. As one who made the move in the opposite direction some years back, I'm just curious: What made you decide to leave Chicago and move to Cleveland?
Affordability. I'm also from the area and have immediately family there, but I haven't actually lived in the Cleveland area since I was about ten years old myself. I do love Chicago as well, but as a student it's much cheaper to attend school and work part time in Cleveland for the next few years than it is to do so in Chicago making minimum wage on 20 hours a week. Even full time on minimum wage isn't enough to pay for anything more than a studio in most areas of the city with other bills factored in. Add school on top of that and its a deal breaker. I can get a one bedroom in Cleveland for 450 and still be on a lake and in a more than decent city as far as arts and entertainment are concerned. I also still have access good public transit in an affordable city. It's a no brainier at this stage. My same 20 hours a week on minimum wage in Ohio is enough to cover my rent and transportation fees; meaning I don't have to use loans to cover that expense.

Besides, Chicago is only a few hours away on a Megabus if I grow to miss the city too much during the summer!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
The Chelsea building was sold to a PROFESSIONAL company that owns and manages the building in July 2012. Many renovations are completed with more underway. Roof work and exterior brick repairs have been made. The halls are being repainted and improved lighting installed. Work is planned for Spring 2013 on the parking lot, and common areas. The Tremont neighborhood has great restaurants, entertainment, and lots to do. This building is very close to Lincoln Park, so there is a great area to walk or bike. Having private, off-street parking is great.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM

14,713 posts, read 14,688,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytheprop View Post
The Chelsea building was sold to a PROFESSIONAL company that owns and manages the building in July 2012. Many renovations are completed with more underway. Roof work and exterior brick repairs have been made. The halls are being repainted and improved lighting installed. Work is planned for Spring 2013 on the parking lot, and common areas. The Tremont neighborhood has great restaurants, entertainment, and lots to do. This building is very close to Lincoln Park, so there is a great area to walk or bike. Having private, off-street parking is great.
Sounds like you need to install a gate, given all the car break-ins you read about from online reviews.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 PM

420 posts, read 1,043,713 times
and to think just 15 + or years ago this part of town was the south-side Just a hell hole
in most peoples view . I am not going to go to the bla bla of the past , but 20 years ago the soot from the steel mills still was a true reality . It has become , a place to be , remaking it self ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland