Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Lake Erie. It's a Great Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM

191 posts, read 442,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
Lastly, the safety issue. Everything I read says how Cleveland isn't good. It's been on the worst cities list for a few years, but seems to have moved from #1 worst to #10/#11 tie for worst this past year. While not thrilled, it shows maybe a sign of improvement. Is it the people? The areas? Or what? I do have a family I have to think about, and this worries me.
The city of Cleveland has its good neighborhoods and its bad ones too, but most of the suburbs are completely safe. Take those rankings with a gain of salt, almost all of Cleveland crime is concentrated in some bad areas on the east side and a few on the west side of the city. If you were to move to almost any Cleveland suburb, your family would have nothing to worry about.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I'm surprised no one has went over board on your sporting events. Coming from a city with NO professional teams in it, I can say for me, this appears to be a benefit. Perhaps I am wrong. I love football. And while never a Browns fan, I freakin' love the Steelers!!! Still, not being a Browns fan (or hater), I believe it would be a lot of fun to go watch games.
Quite honestly, our teams are taken for granted. There is a very rich history with all of the franchises (especially, the Browns and the Indians). Being an avid fan, I go to probably 40 events per year. And, yes, they are always fun... more fun when we actually win!

Quote:
Is your fan base radical? I know the people in Pittsburgh are border-line crazy with their Steelers. I know that isn't always good, but in a sense it kind of unifies the city with a common link.
The Browns fans are the most radical, but most of them are level-headed. There's always a few idiots who take it a bit too far. For the most part, foul language at a high volume is the extent of it.

Quote:
How about the Indians or the Cavs? Are the games fun? Are the stadiums something that impresses when you walk in and check them out? How do they compare to others?
Imo, Progressive Field (Indians) is an absolute gem. I love going there. I've been to New Yankee Stadium and I would take Progressive Field over it any day of the week.

The "Q" (Quicken Loans Arena - Cavs) is a comfortable, well thought out, and extremely well kept arena. It's very nice.

Actually, I the new Browns stadium is the least appealing of the three. Don't get me wrong, it's fine (and the club level is great). But, it's the most cookie-cutter of the 3 venues.

Quote:
What about the weather? Not the current temp, lol. But what should I expect? Currently it feels like I live one tick above h*ll. This past summer we went right about 60 days well above 100, with "real feel" temps much higher (think 115+) because of high humidity. Ugh. I know it's not that hot there. What worries me is we rarely get snow here. More ice than snow and it shuts down the city. I know it snows quite a bit in Cleveland, but I don't know what "quite a bit" is and how to brace for that. Can anyone give more detailed info on what to expect in this regards, and what people to do while "snowed in"?
Well, it usually never gets much above 95 and you might have 2 weeks of that in a really hot summer. There have been times when we will see 100 degrees, but it's very unusual. I can't even tell you the last time that happened. The last time I remember it being that hot was the summer of 1988 (it was an unseasonably hot summer that year). Most of the time, summer ranges between 70 and 90 during the day and 60 to 75 at night.

It does snow here, but it's manageable. As a general rule, the farther east you live, the more snow you will get. Unlike the southern areas of the country, handling the snow is old hat around here. The metro area almost never shuts down because of it. You might have 5 "severe" travel days each winter. The rest of the time, the crews keep on top of it rather well. If you're snowed in, fire up the fireplace, grab your favorite hot drink, kick back, and relax (or go out and snowblow/shovel ...the only hassle, really).

Quote:
Lastly, the safety issue. Everything I read says how Cleveland isn't good. It's been on the worst cities list for a few years, but seems to have moved from #1 worst to #10/#11 tie for worst this past year. While not thrilled, it shows maybe a sign of improvement. Is it the people? The areas? Or what? I do have a family I have to think about, and this worries me.
We won't lie, Cleveland proper has some issues. But, what city proper in the entire country doesn't? The biggest difference is that, if you look at a map of the metro area, Cleveland proper is relatively small when compared to other areas. And, most of the crime occurs in relatively small pockets of the city. The best advice I can give you is to know where those areas are and avoid them. However, I can tell you that there is virtually nowhere I won't go in the city during the daytime and maybe about 5 square miles that I try to avoid at night. Other than that, I feel relatively safe wherever I go. As for the suburbs, most of them are extremely safe. The only really "bad" one is East Cleveland (a tiny suburb directly east of the city). Ironically, it's adjacent to two of the best areas of the city (University Circle and Little Italy) and literally has no influence on either of them.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Check out this video from Case Western:

Welcome to Case Western Reserve University School of Law - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland