Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times

Advertisements

At least in NYC though you have taxi's, trains, subways, & what not. In LA you pretty much have to own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
LA Freeway traffic is brutal. Nothing is as bad as street traffic in Manhattan. So I guess it's a toss up.
This is the post I can mostly agree with.

But overall: LA, you don't have much of an option for anything else.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,271 times
Google traffic usually has more yellow and red areas throughout more of the day in New York over LA but then again, Google traffic isn't exactally the most accurate of ways to measure things.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 70,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
This is the post I can mostly agree with.

But overall: LA, you don't have much of an option for anything else.

True but the expreesways we have in NYC are old beat up and mostly 3 lanes.. so they are always clogged more so than the streets.
LA altho has freeways(Like Atlanta) with 16 lanes across and its still clogged both ways.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfrmNYATLSOCAL View Post
True but the expreesways we have in NYC are old beat up and mostly 3 lanes.. so they are always clogged more so than the streets.
LA altho has freeways(Like Atlanta) with 16 lanes across and its still clogged both ways.
Agree. The worst traffic I have seen is on the Cross Bronx Expressway!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfrmNYATLSOCAL View Post
Here are the benefits though, getting stuck in traffic for hours in CBD areas of NYC has it's benefit too.

I've actually been stuck in horrendous traffic in downtown Chicago (last year when I drove there from school in Ann Arbor) when some kind of festival/event came to town (downtown), I turned my car off since I knew it wasn't going to move even an inch for a few hours, and went and got something to eat. Similarly you can do that with long term traffic in NYC. Can't do that on freeways in LA.

LOL. But yeahhh.. I see what you're saying.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM

215 posts, read 474,946 times
Quote:
Here are the benefits though, getting stuck in traffic for hours in CBD areas of NYC has it's benefit too.

I've actually been stuck in horrendous traffic in downtown Chicago (last year when I drove there from school in Ann Arbor) when some kind of festival/event came to town (downtown), I turned my car off since I knew it wasn't going to move even an inch for a few hours, and went and got something to eat. Similarly you can do that with long term traffic in NYC. Can't do that on freeways in LA.
Please explain how can you do this on a NYC or Chicago expressway. You're talking apples and oranges, as you mentioned the streets of NYC & Chicago, but compare it to the freeways of LA.

One can do the same on the streets of LA, just go get something to eat. But again unless there was a sig-alert no street in LA would be clogged for hours. BTW there are options, you don't need a car. Now would it be easier having a car in Los Angeles? Sure, but buses go everywhere in this city.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Please explain how can you do this on a NYC or Chicago expressway. You're talking apples and oranges, as you mentioned the streets of NYC & Chicago, but compare it to the freeways of LA.

One can do the same on the streets of LA, just go get something to eat. But again unless there was a sig-alert no street in LA would be clogged for hours. BTW there are options, you don't need a car. Now would it be easier having a car in Los Angeles? Sure, but buses go everywhere in this city.
Street's in downtown, you park your car on the side, put the indicator on, go to the subway/quiznos, get a sandwich and come right back... that's all there is to it. Just requires parking the car to the side lane, getting out, getting food, and coming back.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,271 times
Quote:
Street's in downtown, you park your car on the side, put the indicator on, go to the subway/quiznos, get a sandwich and come right back... that's all there is to it. Just requires parking the car to the side lane, getting out, getting food, and coming back.
Lol I thought you meant you actually just cut your engine off in the middle of the freeway, got out, walked across i90 and into downtown, and got a bite to eat. My face went

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM

215 posts, read 474,946 times
Again, you're speaking about being able to do this on city streets. Can you do this on the expressways of Chicago as opposed as you compared city streets to LA freeways. There is no need to answer that since I already know you can't. I'm quite familiar with Chicago, I used to live there.

Again the same can be done in most cities on surface streets (get out and go to Subway or Quiznos, Starbucks, etc, etc.) These same type of shops are in abundance in LA just like there are in NYC, or Chicago. Hell there are probably more Subways, Starbucks, and other coffeehouses-Coffee Bean, Peets, It's a Grind, Daily Grind just to name a few per capita than Chicago. So the options are there. Even every exit in LA freeways one could easily get off, and find an abundance of options to eat, drink, take a dump, etc, etc. It's not like there aren't commercial streets all around LA freeways. Traffic doesn't most that slow on the freeways here, that you can't reach an exit within a few mins to exit. Most exits off the freeways are also very close to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City