Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,953 times

Advertisements

can't stand the traffic in either ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
I say its a tie.

They both have very severe traffic bottlenecks all the time at various locations. I know this from personal experience having lived in LA and NY. Love 'em both!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,301,377 times
I have never been to LA, but I've been told that at times the highway becomes a parking lot for over an hour. Is it standstill traffic or just crawling?

In NYC traffic comes to a stop or near stop usually because of an accident.

Even at bottlenecks (merging off of the Gowanus going toward the Manhattan/Brooklyn bridges or Queens) it only lasts a couple of minutes until everyone gets into a lane then it is back to speeding again. Plus if you are in that much of a hurry you can pay $5.50 and take the tunnel instead. At least there is an option. I don't know how many tunnels there are in LA if any.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:32 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,166,621 times
Really depends upon where one lives and works in any major region

Generally, NYC region has far worse traffic than LA; NYC has relatively primitive/slow fwys, B&T chokepoints, Manhattan cross-town and Winter weather slowdowns

Many of most affluent in LA live and work on Westside; have rather short (<20min) drives to office/dining (CenturyCity and BevHills are LA's version of MidtownManhattan) and rarely have a need/desire to get on a fwy (despite being in the place that invented fwy culture)

In contrast, the drive from Greenwich to Midtown is ~45-60 mins (unless weather slowdown)....and Manhattan doesn't have the spacious, plentiful office parking garages of LA or valet parking in front of restaurants

Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I have never been to LA, but I've been told that at times the highway becomes a parking lot for over an hour.
Nowhere in the US or Canada is like that.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
LA itself has worst traffic.
NYC does more public transportation than anything from subways, taxis, buses, light rails, heavy rails, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LA itself has worst traffic.
NYC does more public transportation than anything from subways, taxis, buses, light rails, heavy rails, etc.
I agree L.A. traffic is worse than NYC and in NYC you have alternative of using public transportation much more so than in L.A. (So you don't have to be in that traffic!)

Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,430,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I have never been to LA, but I've been told that at times the highway becomes a parking lot for over an hour. Is it standstill traffic or just crawling?
When the traffic does get at its peaked time, yes, it's a stand-still. A pure stand-still. Not a single car moving for some time (edit: but I don't think it'll be like that for over an hour...). Even if it takes half an hour to get to the beach, you'd have to take a raincheck on that. I was quite amazed while being in it for a short period of time (as we waited a bit for a slow crawl but exited when none came). Over here, I'm use to a slow crawl more than a parking lot type of traffic.

Last edited by Unknown Memory; 08-03-2009 at 02:37 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,909 times
LA.. NY isn't that bad actually judging from all of the traffic cams that I watch from the city.

Besides, in NY you don't have to be stuck in traffic to get anywhere in. Just use public transportation.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree L.A. traffic is worse than NYC and in NYC you have alternative of using public transportation much more so than in L.A. (So you don't have to be in that traffic!)
Yeah but that's not the question, it's only asking which has worse traffic. If I had to drive and could not use public transportation I would much rather drive in Los Angeles. I live in L.A. and I have never seen worse traffic than Manhattan on a busy afternoon (I learned my lesson, will never drive there again). I'd guess our car averaged at around 2 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City