Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban overall?
San Francisco Bay Area 76 80.00%
South Florida 19 20.00%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM

254 posts, read 693,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Wow, I really love how this thread is actually really respectful unlike the thread this was inspired from.

Here are the urban area density statistics from the US Census Bureau.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/ua2k.txt
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ranked by density:
2. San Francisco-Oakland, CA UA: 6,130 ppsm
3. San Jose, CA UA: 5,914 ppsm
14. Miami, FL UA: 4,407 ppsm

San Francisco and San Jose are both extremely dense urban areas due to geographical restraints of not only the mountains surrounding them, but also the Bay right in the middle. However, South Florida in the coming years will probably become more dense as well as they have reached build-out levels due to the Everglades.
It says an awful lot about the Bay Area's urban density as a whole when the San Jose UA is greater than that of Miami's by approx 1,500 more ppsm.

Also, the BA is densifying at an even faster rate than South Florida. If I recall last census estimates, Miami metro grew by about 44,000 or so from last year while the BA grew by about 95,000 or so.

Regardless I was still impressed by Miami when I visited there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Can we toss in Santa Cruz?
Only if South Florida tosses in Port St. Lucie/Fort Pierce area....lol

Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Only if South Florida tosses in Port St. Lucie/Fort Pierce area....lol
Sure why not? But Santa Cruz is part of the SF CSA.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Gotta give it to the Bay, I mean the stats don't lie, but Miami is definitely up there as well.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Miami also has undevelopable areas right at the edge of its periphery as well.

Ya know, there was a thread in another website a few years ago where some dude from Europe made to-scale maps of urban areas and both Miami and the Bay Area were unbelievably HUGE in size due to the natural constraints(Like way bigger than DFW, Atlanta and Houston in terms of the actual extent of development) that force these areas to build in all directions instead of in one huge 'clump' like less constrained cities.

I voted for SF because the Bay Area is more dense, but its not like we're comparing NY and Elko--Miami is quite dense as well.
I too remember those maps about the urban areas. As much as people think how far the sprawl goes in Atlanta and Dallas and Houston, the extent of the sprawl for the bay area and Miami appeared to dwarf them.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM

28 posts, read 70,041 times
Metropolitan areas
The following ranks United States metropolitan areas by the number of incorporated places with densities over 10,000 within them. If two or more metropolitan areas have the same number of incorporated places, as is the case of the eight metros with one place, the metro areas are ranked by the densest incorporated place within the metro area.

Rankhttp://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/sort_none.gif (broken link)Metropolitan areahttp://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/sort_none.gif (broken link)Principal cityhttp://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/sort_none.gif (broken link)
1New York metropolitan areaNew York City 55Guttenberg
2Greater Los Angeles AreaLos Angeles 27Maywood
3South Florida metropolitan areaMiami 7North Bay Village
4Greater BostonBoston 7Somerville
5Chicago metropolitan areaChicago 7Stone Park
6Delaware ValleyPhiladelphia 7Millbourne
7San Francisco Bay AreaSan Francisco 4San Francisco
8Pittsburgh metropolitan areaPittsburgh 3Pennsbury Village
9Louisville-Jefferson County metropolitan areaLouisville 1Poplar Hills
10Providence metropolitan areaProvidence 1Central Falls
11Washington Metropolitan AreaWashington, D.C. 1Mount Rainier
12Dallas–Fort Worth MetroplexDallas 1Mobile City
13Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan areaBuffalo 1Kenmore
14Portland metropolitan areaPortland 1Johnson City
15Metro DetroitDetroit 1Hamtramck
16Greater ClevelandCleveland 1Lakewood

Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
I too remember those maps about the urban areas. As much as people think how far the sprawl goes in Atlanta and Dallas and Houston, the extent of the sprawl for the bay area and Miami appeared to dwarf them.
But the sprawl in Miami and the Bay Area is what you call DENSE sprawl, similar to that of Los Angeles.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM

And its that dense sprawl that makes these metros seem bigger. Miami felt larger to me than say DFW because of the density. Of course DFW is the larger metro, but my perception sure didn't feel that way.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But the sprawl in Miami and the Bay Area is what you call DENSE sprawl, similar to that of Los Angeles.
Exactly, in cities like Miami and LA they might both have a lot of single family houses but they're so crammed together to the point where you can crawl through your neighbors window.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
And its that dense sprawl that makes these metros seem bigger. Miami felt larger to me than say DFW because of the density. Of course DFW is the larger metro, but my perception sure didn't feel that way.
Your right, San Francisco and Miami both feel bigger than their populations would show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City