Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think the discussion about DC is an example of how state lines in todays times might not be the best way to show connectivity among regions. The fact is, DC is a Southern city. It is below the Mason-Dixon line. Howver, DC is also Northeastern. It is connected "culturally" to the Northeast cities. Th term Mid-Atlantic probably fits, but is there a consensus on what those states/cities are? Then you start generating a fun discusiion. I love C-D forums.
This guy is hilarious. But he's right as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 PM

160 posts, read 183,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
That's true... and according to what was said in earlier post that's southern culture. I was just tryna show what DC had that was part of southern culture. Hey I just found out what southern culture was yesterday.

Just to clear up one thing I never meant for people to think that soul food was a black thing only and it isn't.The "soul food" term is A.A., but the food that makes up soul food is also the food that is eaten by whites in the south too they just don't call it that... (I don't think). So soul food is just a part of southern culture according to the other post.
I agree with this post. "Soul food" is part of southern culture and cuisine. Whites in the south eat the same thing as black southerners do. My relatives in Alabama have white southern friends that they invite to dinners and they serve soul food there and the white southerners prepared foods that would be stereotyped into foods that only black folks eat (sweet potato pie, collards, neckbones, fried chicken, sweet tea etc.)

The White house itself looks like an antebellum home.
White House

Antebellum home in Georgia

I would not call DC a true northeast city it's more mid-Atlantic. No one can deny DC's southern influences and history.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Yes, I would culturally associate D.C. (and Baltimore) with cities like Philly, NYC, and Boston.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
DC is a mid-atlantic city. Nothing more or less honestly but would probably lean more towards the north due to its location. The culture and accent is unique. I think the accent is a combination of northern and southern. Some DC residents due have a certain twang in there speech (not really a drawl) that separates them from places further north as far as accents. I can not really explain the twang really well but it can be heard in many words like down, town, stamp, etc. Also the r slurs that actually prob originates from southern VA since many people all over VA pronounce words such as berry, erica, etc similar to burry, urica. Dc people also have the northern pronunciations such as mova, fava, bruva as mentioned earlier which you won't find in most of va or nc.

Here are some examples I found on youtube of some strong AA dc accents.

YouTube - 10 questions with Kingpin Slim pt.1

Delonte West

YouTube - Delonte West FINAL CUT

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
..continued from last post.

Documentary in DC in juvenile detention (Strong DC accents throughout the video. Sad mentality for many of the youth)

YouTube - THUG LIFE IN DC PT 2

Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 AM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Ok this culturally east coast thing is killing me. I don't understand it.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Ok this culturally east coast thing is killing me. I don't understand it.
I agree. The East Coast would also, technically include Charelston and Savannah. Are they also East Coast? Or is the East Coast another name for something? I wonder what that region is?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 AM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
I'm going to start a thread...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Kbank,

You are correct but I would even break it down further and say that people Uptown don't have the same accent as S.E. Even in PG county, people in Hyattsville don't sound like people in Temple Hill. Their accent in the southern part of PG is thicker. Don't get me wrong. It's very similar but living in DC for the better part of 20 years, I can tell the difference. Delonte West has a strong DC accent.

Evil,

An architect from Philly is responsible for some of DC's unique architecture. There is nothing southern about it. It has been copied over and over again.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM

287 posts, read 497,936 times
The only reason DC would not be considered Southern is becuase of stupid stereotypes that everyone is too chicken sh.it to express. No one will say becuase they know they will get owned for that ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City