Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:47 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I was born Dade county too. I grew up on the souhtside Coral gables and Kendale lakes. Maybe in your era it was southern But in todays time culturally its not.... Again my family is from barbadoas and we never considered ourselves to be southern we are a island family that decided to move to miami but yet we still kept our culture as many other races do. I could see if the Southern way of life dominated to Miami to say hey Its southern Culturally... But its not. Many haitians cubans jamaicans Europeans etc. If you walk up to them and tell them that there southern., There going to look at you crazy.. Most of the Southern way of life is from Americans......
So what I get from your comment is that if you are not American, you won't consider yourself as a Southerner in Miami. But if you are American, you will. Because my family consider themselves Southerners and they live all over Dade County.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
For those who aren't from D.C. or have never been, the only nice parts are what you see in the movies lol. The rest is a complete scum bucket.
Even if that were true, it leaves a huge portion of the city and adjacent area that every American should visit: The White House, U.S. Capitol, Smithsonian museum complex, Library of Congress, Washington Monument, Lincoln, Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and FDR memorials, Vietnam Memorial, Holocaust Museum, Georgetown, The Kennedy Center, The National Cathedral, National Shrine, DuPont Circle, The National Zoo, Arlington Cemetery, The Pentagon, Embassy Row

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-24-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
It's goegraphically located in the southern region of the US but has many characteristics of a northeastern city, therefore, I vote mid-atlantic
This posts seems to make the most sense. DC is definitely located in the South. If DC was to be a Southern city then the NE hegemony that is so prevalent on this board would have to admit that the North is just as much influenced from the South as the South is from the North. And since that will never happen, a new region has to be created to accomadate this. I would say the Mid-Atlantic is a border region. It's where the South ends and the Northeast begins.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This posts seems to make the most sense. DC is definitely located in the South. If DC was to be a Southern city then the NE hegemony that is so prevalent on this board would have to admit that the North is just as much influenced from the South as the South is from the North. And since that will never happen, a new region has to be created to accomadate this. I would say the Mid-Atlantic is a border region. It's where the South ends and the Northeast begins.
Well then; is Philadelphia a Mid-Atlantic city - Yes

Does it have anything that makes it feel Southern or a gateway/transition? uhhhh pondering

Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well then; is Philadelphia a Mid-Atlantic city - Yes

Does it have anything that makes it feel Southern or a gateway/transition? uhhhh pondering
Maybe not Philadelphia, but certain areas in Pennsylvania certainly do.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I'm was born an raised in D.C. and I DO NOT consider myself no southerner, nor do I have a southern accent or drink sweet tea.
Are your parents DC natives?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
For those who aren't from D.C. or have never been, the only nice parts are what you see in the movies lol. The rest is a complete scum bucket.
LOL is right. You couldn't be more off-base, but it's excusable--based on your comments, it's evident you haven't set foot inside DC in at least two decades. Feel free to swing by some time.

Or better yet, just stay in Missouri. We've got far too many people clogging up the streets here as it is.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Maybe not Philadelphia, but certain areas in Pennsylvania certainly do.
can't argue with that

Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are your parents DC natives?
The culture of DC has changed a lot over the last few decades. It used to have a much greater southern feel (culturally speaking); nowadays, it's not southern at all. It's got far more in common with places like Boston and Philly than it does Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
It's got far more in common with places like Boston, NY and Philly than it does Atlanta and Charlotte.
fixed your post . gotta throw in NOVA too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City