Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:29 PM

324 posts, read 659,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So what I get from your comment is that if you are not American, you won't consider yourself as a Southerner in Miami. But if you are American, you will. Because my family consider themselves Southerners and they live all over Dade County.
I never said there wasnt southern people there... Latin culture Dominates all the cultures in Miami 66 percent of the population speaks spanish only 25 percent speaks English. Latin isthe dominate culture and there not Southern people.... I do not consider myself american nor southern. Im islander my descendents were british and Polish... Miami is the least Southern City of all the major cities....

Theres a difference in moving to the South and being raised the Southern way...

Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I never said there wasnt southern people there... Latin culture Dominates all the cultures in Miami 66 percent of the population speaks spanish only 25 percent speaks English. Latin isthe dominate culture and there not Southern people.... I do not consider myself american nor southern. Im islander my descendents were british and Polish... Miami is the least Southern City of all the major cities....

Theres a difference in moving to the South and being raised the Southern way...
Now this makes me ask. What is being raised the southern way??? How is our lifestyle so different from others???

Old 04-24-2010, 04:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Now this makes me ask. What is being raised the southern way??? How is our lifestyle so different from others???
food, culture, religion, politics, etc. While there are universal commonalities, there are differences between the Midwest, West Coast, South, etc. that are different.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well then; is Philadelphia a Mid-Atlantic city - Yes

Does it have anything that makes it feel Southern or a gateway/transition? uhhhh pondering
I wouldn't consider Phily a mid-atlantic city. Mainly VA, DC, DE, and MD. These areas tend to be transitional areas that could fit in either area. Btw, I hope you didn't smack your head too hard. LOL!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
food, culture, religion, politics, etc. While there are universal commonalities, there are differences between the Midwest, West Coast, South, etc. that are different.
Yeah, but we know that this can vary just as much throughout a region. Especially the south.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yeah, but we know that this can vary just as much throughout a region. Especially the south.
Even in the Northeast. Do Buffalo, Boston, Trenton, and NYC have the same culture? I've only been to Trenton so I can only comment on that but I'm sure their are differences.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 PM

142 posts, read 252,588 times
I live here, so here is my answer:

HELL YES!!!!

This city is screams northeast in everything, from public transportation, to the rude people on the street, to the architectural design of all the buildings. This city is much more NYC-PHI-BOS than it is for it's southern counterparts. People will laugh at you if you tell them they are "southerners".

Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Like other posters said, it is in the BosWash corridor

It is also where the AmTrak Acela ends. You can also take airport shuttles from DC to New York or Boston if you wish

DC is definitely northeast. Not Southern by any means

Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Maybe not Philadelphia, but certain areas in Pennsylvania certainly do.

Correct!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM

245 posts, read 215,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
I live here, so here is my answer:

HELL NO!!!!

This city is screams northeast in everything, from public transportation, to the rude people on the street, to the architectural design of all the buildings. This city is much more NYC-PHI-BOS than it is for it's southern counterparts. People will laugh at you if you tell them they are "southerners".

Case closed. DC is part of the Bosh-Wash corridor, historically the most populous, densely populated, and industrialized part of the country. As a result it has much more in common with Boston, Philly and New York than with Houston or Atlanta. There is nothing "southern" about DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City