Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This thread is exactly why people in the DC area are so "pro DC" and "F everybody else" we can argue history and civil war patterns all we want the bottom line is DC is the heart of the East Coast, it connects both north and south to each other, you could not just crossover from different parts of the country without a smooth transitional city like Washington DC in between. With that said it is a fast paced East Coast city more than it is North or South anything. People in DC dont care to be called "Up North" and we definitely will NEVER refer to ourselves as Southerners. I will leave it at this previous post i have already said on this thread...

DC is 30 miles from Baltimore, 120 miles from Philadelphia, 240 miles from New York City and 420 miles from Boston.

DC is 620 miles from Atlanta, 1400 miles from Houston, 330 miles from Charlotte, 1024 miles from Miami, and 1901 miles from Dallas.

By simply looking at those maps you can clearly see what part of the country it is in...

There is clearly a more NE Cooridor connection to modern day DC than is to the Sunbelt South.
Heart of the east coast? More like the southern tip of the east coast. The east coast generally refers to the Megalopolis or the Bos-Wash corridor: the big cities on the Atlantic coast (or are close to it like DC & Phila) from Boston to Washington and their environs. Cities like Atlanta, Miami, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are not east coast (even tho Miami is on the coast, and Buffalo and Pgh are in the NE).

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The heart of the east coast is NYC. Let's not get carried away. And D.C. is east coast too. Very much so.

BTW, east coast and northeast are synonymous for all practical purposes.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Heart of the east coast? More like the southern tip of the east coast. The east coast generally refers to the Megalopolis or the Bos-Wash corridor: the big cities on the Atlantic coast (or are close to it like DC & Phila) from Boston to Washington and their environs. Cities like Atlanta, Miami, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are not east coast (even tho Miami is on the coast, and Buffalo and Pgh are in the NE).
I would assume anything on the eastern coast of the US is considered east coast.

I, personally, wouldn't say Atlanta is east coast, because it's not on the coast. However many people do... it depends on perspective... like I would say Vegas is a west coast city, because I'm so far east. They probably wouldn't feel that way in Cali...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
East Coast usually means the NE---DC up to Maine.

Las Vegas is not west coast, but western.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
East Coast usually means the NE---DC up to Maine.

Las Vegas is not west coast, but western.

"The East Coast" (also known as the Eastern Seaboard) is a term referencing the easternmost coastal states in the United States of America.
It includes all thirteen original colonies, as well as such selected places as Washington, DC, Florida and Vermont. People elsewhere in the United States sometimes refer to the East Coast colloquially as "back east".
The East Coast may often more commonly be associated with the Northeastern United States, in part because the Southeast coast is more associated culturally with the larger American South.
In the rap music community the term has been embraced in a sense of regional loyalty to New York City. The terms "East Coast" and "West Coast" are often used as metonyms for New York and Los Angeles, respectively. There has been animosity and violence between rappers from each of these groups, though the controversy has waned in recent years. Perhaps the two best-known cases of this animus are that of the murders of Biggie Smalls (of Brooklyn, New York) and Tupac Shakur (of Los Angeles).

I'll say this and I'm done with it....

Geographically speaking, I've always considered Maine to Florida the East Coast. With rap music the acception...

First major cities do exist below Maryland and they definitely contribute to the culture and history of the east coast including Virginia beach-Norfolk, Wilmington, charleston, and Miami. As someone that stayed in Savannah, we definitely refer to ourselves as east coast, especially when put in comparison with the beachside communities of the west coast... I think that's what really the point is about defining the east coast- that the cultures and communities that developed along the east coast are quite different than the west coast. I think the terms south, south-atlantic, mid-Atlantic, and new england describe broad cultural traditions that developed between states, but the term east coast specifically refers to the unique cultural history that is shared among communities that developed along the Atlantic coast. Even though these communities may be affected by the cultural aspects of the state they are located in, these Oceanside communities also share culture not defined by the states- including seafood, maritime traditions, and the tradition of the boardwalk which exists as far down as Georgia. So I think it is a fallacy to assume that the east coast refers only to northeastern states. East coast shouldn't really refer to states at all but more to the communities that are located on the Atlantic ocean.

Unless people feel a northeastern vibe in the Atlantic ocean... (ok I'm being an a**)

Last edited by theATLien; 11-11-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post

"The East Coast" (also known as the Eastern Seaboard) is a term referencing the easternmost coastal states in the United States of America.
It includes all thirteen original colonies, as well as such selected places as Washington, DC, Florida and Vermont. People elsewhere in the United States sometimes refer to the East Coast colloquially as "back east".
The East Coast may often more commonly be associated with the Northeastern United States, in part because the Southeast coast is more associated culturally with the larger American South.
In the rap music community the term has been embraced in a sense of regional loyalty to New York City. The terms "East Coast" and "West Coast" are often used as metonyms for New York and Los Angeles, respectively. There has been animosity and violence between rappers from each of these groups, though the controversy has waned in recent years. Perhaps the two best-known cases of this animus are that of the murders of Biggie Smalls (of Brooklyn, New York) and Tupac Shakur (of Los Angeles).

I'll say this and I'm done with it....

Geographically speaking, I've always considered Maine to Florida the East Coast. With rap music the acception...

First major cities do exist below Maryland and they definitely contribute to the culture and history of the east coast including Virginia beach-Norfolk, Wilmington, charleston, and Miami. As someone that stayed in Savannah, we definitely refer to ourselves as east coast, especially when put in comparison with the beachside communities of the west coast... I think that's what really the point is about defining the east coast- that the cultures and communities that developed along the east coast are quite different than the west coast. I think the terms south, south-atlantic, mid-Atlantic, and new england describe broad cultural traditions that developed between states, but the term east coast specifically refers to the unique cultural history that is shared among communities that developed along the Atlantic coast. Even though these communities may be affected by the cultural aspects of the state they are located in, these Oceanside communities also share culture not defined by the states- including seafood, maritime traditions, and the tradition of the boardwalk which exists as far down as Georgia. So I think it is a fallacy to assume that the east coast refers only to northeastern states. East coast shouldn't really refer to states at all but more to the communities that are located on the Atlantic ocean.

Unless people feel a northeastern vibe in the Atlantic ocean... (ok I'm being an a**)
I am familiar with people in other parts of the country referring to the whole NE as "east coast", but never heard anyone refer to anything South of DC as east coast (even tho, technically it is!). I'm originally from Upstate NY and we never considered ourselves east coast, but we definitely considered ourselves Northeasterners. I lived in Miami for several years also, and never called it the east coast, nor did anyone I knew who was from there.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 11,118 times
It isn't Southern or Northeastern. It's a transitional city between two cultural regions.

Lets leave it at that folks.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:53 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Light View Post
It isn't Southern or Northeastern. It's a transitional city between two cultural regions.

Lets leave it at that folks.

The definition of that is midatlantic but ignorance is bliss which is why this is thread will go on for another 10 pages about the previous 10 pages....

Old 11-11-2010, 04:57 PM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The thing is that NYC is also classified as mid-Atlantic by many sources.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The thing is that NYC is also classified as mid-Atlantic by many sources.
the saga continues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City