Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type do you prefer/ would rather live in?
Southern style of homes (Texas, alabama, georgia, Tennessee and other in that region) 21 25.30%
Midwestern type (all of midwest and most areas of north east usa) 23 27.71%
Florida style 11 13.25%
Spanish style (California, Arizona, Las vegas area, New mexico) 28 33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But I hear those houses are built cheaply. Give me a sturdy house built in 1950 over any of those new suburban houses.
Funny, I've heard the same thing about construction on Long Island.........perhaps I heard wrong, but much of it LOOKS like it may have been built cheaply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Contrary to what you may have heard the year a home is built does not alone equate to quality of construction.

Yes it does. Homes are built cheaper and faster as of the last 10 years or so. I looked into this because we almost bought a home in Las Vegas.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: rude/off topic

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Funny, I've heard the same thing about construction on Long Island.........perhaps I heard wrong, but much of it LOOKS like it may have been built cheaply.

lmao, ahhhh the usual attack back on me using LI example even though you have never visited here. Not surprised. Everyone knows houses today are built cheaper. Things today in general are built cheaper, since the idea is to build as quickly and cheaply as you can. Years ago, they took their time and spent more money.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Every state has subdivisions with tract homes that look the same and Florida has many subdivisions with larger lots with homes of differing architectural styles and not one on top of the other..

Yes, that's true. But most newer FL subdivisions, the homes are built very close together. That's no secret, and I've been all over the southeast and rarely do I see homes on zero lot lines in other areas.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
lmao, ahhhh the usual attack back on me using LI example even though you have never visited here. Not surprised. Everyone knows houses today are built cheaper. Things today in general are built cheaper, since the idea is to build as quickly and cheaply as you can. Years ago, they took their time and spent more money.
LOL! Guess again, Rachael. I was visiting LI before your parents ever left the city.

Nice try, though. And Levittown looks cheaply built, whether it is or not. There's a reason those type of houses around here go for under $100,000. Nobody wants them.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! Guess again, Rachael. I was visiting LI before your parents ever left the city.

Nice try, though. And Levittown looks cheaply built, whether it is or not. There's a reason those type of houses around here go for under $100,000. Nobody wants them.

You can't base your opinion on pictures...

We just had a storm with hurricane winds. The houses held up just fine. Down south in the new subdivisions with cheaply built houses, a lot worse damage would have happened. That's yet another reason why houses go for cheaper down there.

‘Luxury’ homes, built cheap - MSN Real Estate

Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Then I guess MSN money has no idea what they're talking about either.
Not if they thought that article was about the South. It was about a neighborhood in Fresno.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:

We just had a storm with hurricane winds. The houses held up just fine. Down south in the new subdivisions with cheaply built houses, a lot worse damage would have happened. That's yet another reason why houses go for cheaper down there.

That is horrible to hear. I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Yes it does. Homes are built cheaper and faster as of the last 10 years or so. I looked into this because we almost bought a home in Las Vegas.
You can find cheaply built homes in any area from any time period. To state otherwise is just being blind to the truth.

Advancements in building materials and codes have made homes in many areas much more structurally sound than homes built years before in the same area. Conversely some older homes took time and paid attention to detail and may be more structurally sound than the newer homes in the area.

To just flatly state that homes built in 1950 were built better than current homes is ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:

Haha, you think you know what your talking about but you dont. That storm in the NE had winds of a very weak hurricane. New homes in the south are actually built stronger to withstand hurricanes. In 2004 when hurricane Charley rammed right through central FL with sustained winds at about 90 mph, and gusts much higher, I didn't see ANY homes with sever damage. The only damage i saw was tree damage and roof damage on the older homes. All of the newer subdivisions seemed untouched. Also new homes here are much more energy efficient than older homes. I would much rather live in a home built in the past 5 years than a home from the 50s. Old homes have been sitting and rotting for decades. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City