Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Really, NYC cannot be beaten on this... And I'm including all of the NY metro, since everyone else has (rightfully) included the metros of their cities in giving their examples (e.g. attributing the Angels stadium to L.A.).

Here is what NY/NJ metro has in terms of sports and arenas/ballparks/stadiums:

- Madison Square Garden - one of the most iconic arenas in the nation, long-time home to the Knicks and Rangers as well as St. John's U. Div.1 NCAA basketball, Big East
- Old/New Yankee Stadium
- Shea Stadium/CitiField (NY Mets)
- Nassau Coliseum (NY Islanders)
- Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) - former home to NJ Nets and Devils
- Old/New Giants Stadium - NY Giants and NY Jets; also has hosted Big East Div.1A (FBS) Rutgers home football games, featured other Div. 1A college games, and Army Div.1A football
- Rutgers Stadium - home to FBS (Div.1A) Big East Football Rutgers Scarlet Knights
- Rutgers Louis Brown Athletic Center - Big East Div.1A Men's and Women's Scarlet Knights basketball
- Rutgers facilities for all other Div. 1A sports including swimming, diving, soccer, lax, baseball, golf, etc.
- Prudential Center in Newark, NJ - a BEAUTIFUL brand new arena, home to the NJ Devils and NJ Nets as well as Seton Hall Div.1A NCAA Big East Basketball; also home to the ironmen arena football team
- Red Bull Stadium, Harrison, NJ - home of the NY Red Bulls Pro Soccer team
- Bears and Eagles Stadium, Newark, NJ - Newark Bears Minor League baseball
- KeySpan Stadium, Coney Island (Brooklyn), NY - Brooklyn Cyclones Minor League baseball (NY Mets affiliate)
- Richmond County Bank Ballpark, Staten Island, NY - Staten Island Yankees Minor League baseball
- Yogi Berra Stadium, Little Falls, NJ - NJ Jackals Minor League Baseball
- Horse racing at the Meadowlands, Yonkers, Belmont, Aqueduct, and Freehold

I know I have left several others out (professional minor league and arena football, lax, etc.), but I think that list already blows away most others....But 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams,, 3 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams, and a litany of minor league, College Div.1A, and other professional teams....Seriously, what other cities/metros even come close???
I agree that NYC metro has the most sports arenas but aren't some of the parks already torn down? [Old Yankee stadium]. And some of those sport facilities are for "farm teams"\ minor leagues. There are a lot of smaller arena's in Los Angeles that I didn't bother to mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Have you heard Philly has traded McNabb to the Redskins. Now the Eagles are really going to suck!
I'm not an Eagle fan, so I don't really care.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I agree that NYC metro has the most sports arenas but aren't some of the parks already torn down? [Old Yankee stadium]. And some of those sport facilities are for "farm teams"\ minor leagues. There are a lot of smaller arena's in Los Angeles that I didn't bother to mention.
Yes, some are torn down, that's why I counted those as one with the new ones (e.g. I put "Old/New Yankee Stadium" - one stadium that was rebuilt, not two separate ones).

You should have put the smaller ones if they are for minor league or whatever else. Same goes for Div. 1A college sports and those arenas/stadiums, like the Rose Bowl or Coliseum.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
Or perhaps it means Cowboys will have to face two teams in the same conference twice that would likely give them headaches, instead of just one team as in the past decade or so.
We know the one team that gives the Cowboys headaches (like beating them in their new stadium in the first game ever in that stadium or beating them in the playoffs to go on and beat the Patsies for the Super Bowl) is the NEW YORK GIANTS - which is the other team?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
We know the one team that gives the Cowboys headaches (like beating them in their new stadium in the first game ever in that stadium or beating them in the playoffs to go on and beat the Patsies for the Super Bowl) is the NEW YORK GIANTS - which is the other team?
No other team could beat the Saints until the Cowboys came along!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
No other team could beat the Saints until the Cowboys came along!
Good point.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM

195 posts, read 395,937 times
No contest Prudenitial center in downtown Newark NJ, home of NJ NETS and NJ Devils is the finest indoor arena in the world, REDBULLS arena which is on the Newark/HARRISON border is also the best soccer stadium for it size (25,000) in the world !

Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Dallas / Fort Worth come on now people.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkboy View Post
No contest Prudenitial center in downtown Newark NJ, home of NJ NETS and NJ Devils is the finest indoor arena in the world, REDBULLS arena which is on the Newark/HARRISON border is also the best soccer stadium for it size (25,000) in the world !
But isn't the Prudential center located out in some swamp? You have to have a car or take a bus to reach it! Staples Center is within a few blocks of the subway & right in the middle of downtown Los Angeles [nightclubs\ sports bars\ entertainment]. .

Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But isn't the Prudential center located out in some swamp? You have to have a car or take a bus to reach it! Staples Center is within a few blocks of the subway & right in the middle of downtown Los Angeles [nightclubs\ sports bars\ entertainment]. .
You are thinking of the Meadowlands, where the Izod Center is, which is formerly Continental Airlines Arena, where the Devils and Nets used to play. That is in a swamp but it's only 3 miles from the tunnel into Manhattan. Most people do drive but there are ways there by bus, and now there is a rail station there. That is also where the Meadowlands race track is (home of the Hambletonian) and the Old and New Giants Stadiums (until they tear down the old one). They are also building some stupid shopping complex there that was a huge waste of money and never opens and seems like it never will.

The Prudential Center is in the middle of Newark, however, in an area that is being revitalized, and Newark Penn Station is only a block or two away. This means that rail service on NJ Transit makes it easy to get there, and by train it is about a 10-minute ride from Manhattan (no stops in between). It is truly a beautiful, almost brand-new arena (3 years old, barely) and just perfect for the Devils, our excellent hockey team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City