Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more pedstrian friendly?
LA 48 64.00%
Miamo 27 36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM

593 posts, read 1,763,320 times

Advertisements

[Please excuse the obvious typo. I can't edit it unfortunately]

My vote goes to LA simply for this reason: It has a much larger walkable area than Miami (probably even proportionally but definitely in total).

In L.A, the Greater Wilshire/Hancock Park area, going South to Koreatown, and west to Hollywood/West Hollywood is all very pedestrian friendly. And then there is downtown L.A which--while not great--is fairly pedestrian friendly as well. And finally much of Santa Monica and Venice are pedestrian friendly.

Miami, outside of Miami Beach (and South Beach in particular), is not pedestrian friendly at all.

(Note: I realize SM and MB are separate cities technically, but for all practical purposes im considering them part of their neighboring cities.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM

79 posts, read 76,731 times
Miami is probably the least walkable city in the United States. As a pedestrian, drivers there will kill you and drive off, with their reggaeton blasting. At least Los Angeles has actual parks too; Miami does not.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,610,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic109 View Post
As a pedestrian, drivers there will kill you and drive off, with their reggaeton blasting. At least Los Angeles has actual parks too; Miami does not.
Despite its reputation as a car city, I find the drivers in LA to be much more courteous to pedestrians than many other large cities. Generally speaking, as long as you're in a crosswalk, 8 out of 10 drivers will yield the right of way to you even if there's no traffic light. At first, I was amazed at how LA pedestrians would just step right into oncoming traffic at crosswalks, but then I realized that it's just done that way there. The key words though are "in a crosswalk". If you're not in one, none of what I just said applies.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Despite its reputation as a car city, I find the drivers in LA to be much more courteous to pedestrians than many other large cities. Generally speaking, as long as you're in a crosswalk, 8 out of 10 drivers will yield the right of way to you even if there's no traffic light. At first, I was amazed at how LA pedestrians would just step right into oncoming traffic at crosswalks, but then I realized that it's just done that way there. The key words though are "in a crosswalk". If you're not in one, none of what I just said applies.
Pedestrians have the right of way in California. A driver can get a ticket by entering the crosswalk even if the pedestrian is way on the other side of the street. Drivers get enough tickets and learn to yield of pedestrians.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM

221 posts, read 798,604 times
If you know where to go, LA has a bunch of pockets that are pretty walkable and pedestrian friendly. Miami, outside of Coconut Grove and Miami Beach (which isnt even in Miami), has nothing like that (not even downtown)

Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,851 times
I agree that L.A. is quite walkable in a variety of sections. The other thing that goes counter to stereotype is that L.A. has a very good public transit system, which is to my mind, an component of walkability -- are things structured in such a way that you can walk about destination areas, or is everything geared 100% toward driving to all destinations? L.A. scores pretty well on walkability in my opinion. Miami really has some significant areas that are almost impossible to reach as a pedestrian.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Miami is probably the least walkable city in the United States. As a pedestrian, drivers there will kill you and drive off, with their reggaeton blasting. At least Los Angeles has actual parks too; Miami does not.
What a GROSS over exaggeration.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Downtown is walkable. I wonder if any of you have been to Miami. DADE COUNTY as a WHOLE isn't all that walkable. You can take the monorail ALL across downtown, and won't need a car. Or even take the metrorail. I say BOTH cities, LA and Miami are more walkable then people give them credit for.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM

79 posts, read 76,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What a GROSS over exaggeration.
Not at all. I'm not exaggerating at all. Miami is NOT a walkable city and if you believe it is, you must be blinded by your love for such a place.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I'm not exaggerating at all. Miami is NOT a walkable city and if you believe it is, you must be blinded by your love for such a place.
BUT the LEAST walkable city? Less walkable then LA? If you say Miami is the least walkable city in the US then you must be blinded by your hatred for Miami. I saw your post in another thread about Miami. From the looks of things you have a real hatred for the city, which allows you to over exaggerate it's negatives. But hey, I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City