Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more pedstrian friendly?
LA 48 64.00%
Miamo 27 36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,520 times

Advertisements

I looked at that top ten list for walkability and im surprised to not see Pittsburgh on there which is a very walkable city and would say more so then most of the cities that made the list. Didi i miss it?...otherwise can anyone tell me if the metro rail in miami is any good cause im going down in march and i want to do some city exploring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
There's a big difference in terms of pedestrian comfort. If a person is not comfortable walking in an area, it doesn't matter how many businesses there are, they most likely won't walk there. Compare this street scene in Hollywood to this street scene a few miles away in Pasadena. See the difference? Which looks more inviting to the pedestrian? Those streets in Hollywood probably have a much larger concentration of businesses than those streets in Pasadena. However, since those businesses in Hollywood are all located within strip malls, people aren't going to be as inclined to walk there as they would in Pasadena. Strip malls are designed with the automobile, not the pedestrian in mind, and that design affects how comfortable pedestrians are in that environment.
Good graphics Part of the equation is shade. Streets without trees can be mighty uncomfortable & why the city won't plant palms anymore. Big shade trees invite people to walk. I think Old Pasadena & even the Paseo made a mistake by planting palms & Colorado blvd can get so crowded that people have to walk off the curb. I hate stripe malls too, but they do provide shade & are pedestrian-friendly in my experience.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I'm not sure how this comparison works considering Miami is very small in land size compared to LA.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
LA's complicated when it comes to declaring it walkable or not. There are many of individual neighborhoods that are very pedestrian-friendly, it's just that going from one neighborhood to the other will usually require the use of an automobile or a long bus ride. Also, LA has a TON of densely packed strip malls along its major boulevards. Take a look at this one for example, right in the heart of Hollywood. Websites like walkscore see that an LA neighborhood has a dentist, a pizza place, a grocery store, a hardware store, etc. all within the same block and declares it a "walker's paradise". However, it does not take into account whether those businesses are in strip malls or are located along more pedestrian-oriented streets. Yes, you can walk to a lot of things if your neighborhood is full of strip malls, but it won't be very pleasant. The comfort-level of walking is a very important part of pedestrian-friendliness.
It's funny, because I was google mapping Los Angeles the other day, and I was in Hollywood on Google Maps, and I was staring at that very exact strip mall you just posted, and I thought it was very Miami-esque. I just remember thinking, I can so imagine that strip mall in North Miami Beach. But I see your point. LA is a very HIGH density city, but it's dense sprawl, just like South Florida.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Pedestrians have the right of way in California. A driver can get a ticket by entering the crosswalk even if the pedestrian is way on the other side of the street. Drivers get enough tickets and learn to yield of pedestrians.
Miami is the same way but cops don't really have the time to deal with that kind of petty crime. No joke I remember how smoking weed in Miami wasn't anything to turn a cops head in my old neighborhood but maybe things have changed since i was there.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Miami is the same way but cops don't really have the time to deal with that kind of petty crime. No joke I remember how smoking weed in Miami wasn't anything to turn a cops head in my old neighborhood but maybe things have changed since i was there.
Smoking marijuana in public is common in LA [i.e. downtown]. Not everyone can have a doctor's prescription!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
I remember when I visited my friend in Miami the blocks were very very long and far from businesses, It might just have been the area I was in though

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
On the whole would say LA

Both area seem to lack cohesion and both have some pretty walkable areas

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I don't think LA lacks cohesion at all. All of the east-west main streets like Hollywood, Sunset, Wilshire, SM, Olympic, Pico etc, along with the north-south main streets like La Cienega, LaBrea, Fairfax, Western etc have thousands of businesses, stores, coffee shops, restaurants, public transportation and so on. I live off of SM Blvd in west LA and I walk to a grocery store, the post office, the library, two movie houses, tons of restaurants (japanese, chinese, persian, mom & pop, italian), public transportation heading east to dt LA, west to the beach is at my feet. LA is very walkable for me. And everything isn't in a strip mall.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
LA's complicated when it comes to declaring it walkable or not. There are many of individual neighborhoods that are very pedestrian-friendly, it's just that going from one neighborhood to the other will usually require the use of an automobile or a long bus ride. Also, LA has a TON of densely packed strip malls along its major boulevards. Take a look at this one for example, right in the heart of Hollywood. Websites like walkscore see that an LA neighborhood has a dentist, a pizza place, a grocery store, a hardware store, etc. all within the same block and declares it a "walker's paradise". However, it does not take into account whether those businesses are in strip malls or are located along more pedestrian-oriented streets. Yes, you can walk to a lot of things if your neighborhood is full of strip malls, but it won't be very pleasant. The comfort-level of walking is a very important part of pedestrian-friendliness.
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City