Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 PM

132 posts, read 390,454 times

Advertisements

Memphis anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
On the flip side of that coin, every other hip-hop club Ive been to here has closed their nights with fights. Ive never seen so many fights at the club as I have here in Dallas. The local talent and scene dont seem to stick well together here either.
lol! That reminds me of when I saw Blind Melon in Austin and the lead singer said there was a huge fight break out in the audience during their show in Dallas the night before. It was kind of funny because they actually kept making jokes about Dallas throughout the concert. I don't know what it is about Dallas, but it seems like there's an unusual amount of people getting drunk and fighting clubs and various venues. I've never actually to any clubs or music venues in Dallas, but that's just the impression I've gotten from talking to people who have.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 AM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
LOL.

I always read this horribly spread misconception that there's nothing to do in downtown Houston after 5 or on the weekends.

Don't know how that started after the post-1998 renaissance that went on over there. But since then, people who say such falsehoods about downtown Houston are not very a) observant or b) happening.

Anyway, here's footage I took of a typical weekend night in downtown Houston. Yes, the core of downtown. Not some fringe entertainment complex (though downtown Houston has a couple of those now).

worldlyman1996 - YouTube

What Sunbelt city offers this pure nocturnal urban environment? Not Miami. Not LA. Not Dallas. Not Phoenix. Not Atlanta. Not Tampa. Austin and San Antonio are more "theme" oriented to me. San Fran...is that a true Sun Belt city? It's more traditional Eastern. So in all actual Sun Belt context, here we are.

I love meandering and traipsing around Hollywood-Highland, certain sections of Wilshire and some parts of the Sunset Strip...but they ain't no downtown Houston.

Sure there's the Gas Lamp in San Diego but there's something awfully too packaged and whitebread about that so-called nightlife district. Yeah, and I lived in downtown San Diego for 3 months too. Horton Plaza was a plus in the area though.

But downtown Houston. It's just a mix of space-age architecture, grand cultural monuments, new neon trim and pedestrian walkways that put it definitely above the Gas Lamp in terms of urban ambience.

Consider Houston is low-density sprawl and has many other entertainment districts outside of downtown such as Rice Village among others:

worldlyman1996 - YouTube

I love how downtown Houston is but one option for a night out in the greater H-town area. Or there's Midtown's catwalk of places, Washington Ave's trendy for the moment night spots, Kemah's Light House District for some seabreeze and al fresco drinking...areas different in ambience and pace from downtown...

Space City, you are awesome.
DTLA, DT Miami, DT Atlanta, NOLA, DT Dallas, DT San Antonio, DT Austin, DT San Diego, Las Vegas, all have much more active downtowns than Houston, did you even think this through before posting? Houston has one of the least active t downtowns in the nation .

Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
DTLA, DT Miami, DT Atlanta, NOLA, DT Dallas, DT San Antonio, DT Austin, DT San Diego, Las Vegas, all have much more active downtowns than Houston, did you even think this through before posting? Houston has one of the least active t downtowns in the nation .
This thread died three years ago for a reason.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
LA, Miami, Las Vegas and New Orleans all have better nightlife and are all Sunbelt cities. And LA, Miami and New Orleans all have lots of urban activity, especially at night. They get underrated in that regard. Not so sure about Las Vegas. I've been there but it seems like all they have are the hotels and clubs, in regards to urban activities/downtown.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This thread died three years ago for a reason.
Yeah, because Houston sucks. It didn't even have any downtown nightlife until the late 90's, that's not to mention the awful humidity, pollution, overcrowded highways and streets, crappy public transportation, routine flooding, ignorant and uneducated people, terrible drivers, substandard public school system, the list goes on and on. And whoever posted about Rice Village is an idiot, Rice Village is not part of downtown, it's like 30 minutes away from downtown and hardly anything to brag about.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinci76 View Post
Yeah, because Houston sucks. It didn't even have any downtown nightlife until the late 90's, that's not to mention the awful humidity, pollution, overcrowded highways and streets, crappy public transportation, routine flooding, ignorant and uneducated people, terrible drivers, substandard public school system, the list goes on and on. And whoever posted about Rice Village is an idiot, Rice Village is not part of downtown, it's like 30 minutes away from downtown and hardly anything to brag about.
wow your ignorance is strong...dt Houston night life was strong in the 60 ,70,80 early 90 died down in late 90 saw a surge in the 2000 and is now expanding again
Houston only has a major flood once every ten years or so the same as most other city weather problems.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
That sounds like plenty of sunbelt cities in the 80s-90s.
Rice Village isn't that far from downtown but it isn't anything to brag about.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM

213 posts, read 388,453 times
Quote:
It sounds like you had the wrong tour guide.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
What downtown nightlife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City