Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

BTW: as far as the one flight. We can thank Katrina and the fact that it's more profitable for CO, DL, & AA to connect intl flights in Houston, Atlanta, and Miami then it is the come to New Orleans. Also, ask someone from Central America, South America, France, or the UK about New Orleans. Also look up how many intl flights come to N.O. that stop somewhere along the way. I think Continental flight 4 might be an example. Look up the foreign cruises that come in and the seasonal British Airways and Monarch charters.
No, its not Katrina that is the reason that MSY doesnt have more nonstop destinations. New Orleans is an extremely low-yielding destination for the airlines. The airlines might not have a problem filling a plane from (for example) MSY to Europe, but they wouldnt make a dime doing it. Areomexico is struggling with its MSY-Mexico City route. Taca could probably come back with its San Pedro Sula-New Orleans route, but it would break even at best.

Most of New Orleans international traffic goes through Atlanta, Houston, Miami, DFW, Chicago , and DC. These destinations are all high-yielding business destinations. New Orleans is in the same boat Las Vegas and Orlando. The problem is that both Vegas and Orlando see more traffic from overseas, so they can support a flight with planes that have few premium seats.

If New Orleans could support on overseas flight, it would be Virgin to London Gatwick or on a charter airline on a plane that has:

1) Only economy seats
2) Very few premium seats

Ive spent time on behalf of several companies in the New Orleans trying to negotiate service to Europe. The airlines didnt want any of it. The only way they said they would be interested in flying New Orleans to Europe would be if there was a revenue guarentee (similar to Americans Raleigh/Durham-London flight). So far, no takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No, its not Katrina that is the reason that MSY doesnt have more nonstop destinations. New Orleans is an extremely low-yielding destination for the airlines. The airlines might not have a problem filling a plane from (for example) MSY to Europe, but they wouldnt make a dime doing it. Areomexico is struggling with its MSY-Mexico City route. Taca could probably come back with its San Pedro Sula-New Orleans route, but it would break even at best.

Most of New Orleans international traffic goes through Atlanta, Houston, Miami, DFW, Chicago , and DC. These destinations are all high-yielding business destinations. New Orleans is in the same boat Las Vegas and Orlando. The problem is that both Vegas and Orlando see more traffic from overseas, so they can support a flight with planes that have few premium seats.
Umm, if I'm not mistaken...... After Katrina, MSY's main intl carriers pulled out. Regardless of whether they were doomed or not, Katrina put the final nail in the coffin.

Everything else you said, I kind of said too with less words.

No attitude or sarcasm, just saying...

Quote:
If New Orleans could support on overseas flight, it would be Virgin to London Gatwick or on a charter airline on a plane that has:

1) Only economy seats
2) Very few premium seats

Ive spent time on behalf of several companies in the New Orleans trying to negotiate service to Europe. The airlines didnt want any of it. The only way they said they would be interested in flying New Orleans to Europe would be if there was a revenue guarentee (similar to Americans Raleigh/Durham-London flight). So far, no takers.
Pretty much, yeah. That's why the only european flights that we get are charters and those with continuing service.

AeroMexico's problem is timing. Bad flight times, poor connections, and a poor choice of destination. It's AeroMexico's MO to apply for rediculous routes and put them in service only to fail months later. Think about it MSY-MEX? (on an EJ at that). That's suicide. You would think a 73G would yeild a better profit even with low PAX.
Direct flights to San Pedro, Teguc..., Guatamala, etc. would do much better. IMO, MSY would be a much better market for Mexicana or Taca.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-17-2010 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
It looked pretty dead to me in that video. I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove but if anything you just confirmed everyone's belief about Houston's nightlife lacking. I've been to Houston and the term "Rice Village" is a joke since it's essentially a bunch of strip malls and not really an urban presence by any means. Downtown Houston has gotten better but the key word is "better" because anything is better than what downtown Houston had before which was nothing

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The OP is comparing all of Houston nightlife to Downtown only Downtown Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, and Phoenix.

Personally I think Dallas' nightlife blows Houston out of the water. But thats my preference because I like Raves/Techno clubs and Dallas is undeniably better in that department. If I had the slightest interest in hip-hop, Im sure I would think differently. For what I like, only Miami and LA are better than Dallas of the sunbelt cities.
Then you haven't really spent much time in most sunbelt cities because Las Vegas, Phoenix/Scottsdale and San Diego also have a much better nightlife than Dallas by far! There is a reason 944 Magazine and The Dirty.com were founded in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area because the nightlife is sick

1. LA area
2. Miami
3. Las Vegas
4. Phoenix/Scottsdale
5. San Diego
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Austin
9. Houston

Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Then you haven't really spent much time in most sunbelt cities because Las Vegas, Phoenix/Scottsdale and San Diego also have a much better nightlife than Dallas by far! There is a reason 944 Magazine and The Dirty.com were founded in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area because the nightlife is sick

1. LA area
2. Miami
3. Las Vegas
4. Phoenix/Scottsdale
5. San Diego
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Austin
9. Houston
I know this has been stated several times in this thread...but isn't the topic DOWNTOWN nightlife? It isn't about cities with the best overall nightlife, but specifically about nightlife downtown.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
If we're SPECIFICALLY talking about DT nightlife, then I guess NO would win. Is Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in DT NO.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
4. Phoenix/scottsdale
ook.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If we're SPECIFICALLY talking about DT nightlife, then I guess NO would win. Is Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in DT NO.
It is by some definitions...Downtown New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2010, 07:40 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
In that case NO and Vegas are tied for #1. Because LA, nor Miami, nor ATL, nor Houston, nor Dallas, have anything in there downtowns that can RIVAL the party districts that NO and Vegas have in there DT's. The cities I listed have many forms of ENTERTAINMENT in there DT's, but NOTHING on NO and Vegas level as far as PARTY districts in there DT's.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Umm, if I'm not mistaken...... After Katrina, MSY's main intl carriers pulled out. Regardless of whether they were doomed or not, Katrina put the final nail in the coffin.

Everything else you said, I kind of said too with less words.

No attitude or sarcasm, just saying...

Pretty much, yeah. That's why the only european flights that we get are charters and those with continuing service.

AeroMexico's problem is timing. Bad flight times, poor connections, and a poor choice of destination. It's AeroMexico's MO to apply for rediculous routes and put them in service only to fail months later. Think about it MSY-MEX? (on an EJ at that). That's suicide. You would think a 73G would yeild a better profit even with low PAX.
Direct flights to San Pedro, Teguc..., Guatamala, etc. would do much better. IMO, MSY would be a much better market for Mexicana or Taca.
MSY lost 3 flights because of Katrina:

1) TACA's MSY-San Pedro Sula (which I think might come back at some point)
2) Air Canada's MSY-Toronto (which was doomed from the get-go due to low yields)
3) United's MSY-San Francisco (cant understand why that one went, it was a decent enough preformer)

TACA is (in a lot of ways) an ethnic airline and not a business airline. They tend to cater to ethnic communities. If you look at their routings, its almost all to places where familes go (LAX/IAD/IAH/DFW/MIA/NYC/SFO-SAL, LAX/ORD-GUA). Given that and that New Orleans has a large Honduran community (mostly from San Pedro Sula), I do expect it to come back.

As for a bigger plane, Im not sure. The loads have been pretty bad on the flight (around 50%). I agree the timing leaves alot to be desired. If they can re-time it and bring up the loads (along with flying it more than 2x a week), I would agree. The adds they have posted shows they are catering to the Honduran community and not to the Mexican community. But again, this is an ethnic route, not a business route.

I agree, TACA is a better fit for New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City