Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Here's a more up to date one from this past winter:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...845e3be3_o.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I agree, Beavercreek. Where are all of those loyal "Charlotteans" hiding at??
Let's see more participation and photos from those who embrace Charlotte.

You can join the rest of the nation in viewing our wonderful skyline on TNT this Saturday afternoon April 24 at 2:00PM, and again on Monday evening April 26 at 8:00PM. And if that’s not enough, again the following Saturday and Sunday May 1st and 2nd on CBS in the afternoons starting around 3:00PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You can join the rest of the nation in viewing our wonderful skyline on TNT this Saturday afternoon April 24 at 2:00PM, and again on Monday evening April 26 at 8:00PM. And if that’s not enough, again the following Saturday and Sunday May 1st and 2nd on CBS in the afternoons starting around 3:00PM.
I will be visiting relatives in North Carolina ( by coincidence ) and will
most definitely be tuning in ...

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I like that shot. I didn't know that Columbus had another cluster kind of off to itself away from the main concentration of towers. That's really not depicted in the typical on-the-ground shots.

The only thing about Charlotte skyline shots is that these days, they seem to get outdated really quickly. But here's a recent aerial:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3555091101_c5c2a06cc7_o.jpg
WoW!!! Those are impressive shots of Charlotte ... it's very beautiful, too!

Thanks for sharing these recently updated photos of the "Queen City", I am amazed every time I return to Charlotte.

To respond to your comments on the city centre of Columbus having two separate clusters ...

Yes, the separate cluster of skyscrapers that are seen in "the right hand portions of that particular photo", show the Nationwide Insurance Companies "headquarters" complex, in addition to a Hyatt Regency hotel and a few city owned structures and various office towers.
This secondary cluster is located along High st., as it proceeds into the
ever popular "Short North Arts District" and Victorian Village.

Here is a larger version of that same photograph ...

Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 PM

Here are several more aerials of burgeoning Columbus. As one can tell, the average "ground photos" are not an adequate or justifiable representation of this cities skyline.

A closer view of the city centre of Columbus. This view looks in a slightly southwestern direction. >

This aerial overlooks a portion of the enormous campus of Ohio State University, the largest campus in America.
The city centre of Columbus looms on the southern horizon.>

This view is looking north / northeast over the Scioto River and the city centre of Columbus. The "beige backed building in the foreground" of this photo, near the banks of the Scioto, is the Miranova Place, my residence.>

An even closer overview of Columbus' city centre, overlooking the COSI Museum ( long building at rivers edge, facing downtown in foreground ). The "beige backed building" in the bottom right foreground of this photo is "Miranova Place", my residence. >

Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
You live in Miranova Place?! That must be nice. Get some pics of the skyline from your place. Those are great views as well. That whole area is booming! The Scioto Mile Riverfront park is well underway, the new condos unders construction, the Gay Street neighborhood is taking shape, and the new Franklin County Courthouse.

I was in Columbus over the weekend. Stopped in town to meet with some friends on my way up to Cleveland. Visited the arena district. What is that new highrise condo tower by the river called? I also saw Huntington Ball Park, I need to catch a couple games there. One of the best ballparks in the country.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 AM

Columbus, a thriving and ever prosperous metro region.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Here are several more aerials of burgeoning Columbus. As one can tell, the average "ground photos" are not an adequate or justifiable representation of this cities skyline.

A closer view of the city centre of Columbus. This view looks in a slightly southwestern direction. >

This aerial overlooks a portion of the enormous campus of Ohio State University, the largest campus in America.
The city centre of Columbus looms on the southern horizon.>

This view is looking north / northeast over the Scioto River and the city centre of Columbus. The "beige backed building in the foreground" of this photo, near the banks of the Scioto, is the Miranova Place, my residence.>

An even closer overview of Columbus' city centre, overlooking the COSI Museum ( long building at rivers edge, facing downtown in foreground ). The "beige backed building" in the bottom right foreground of this photo is "Miranova Place", my residence. >
The second aerial photo reminds me much of Charlotte. Out of all these trees is a massive cluster of modern day "mountain" glass and steel structures. I think I might be able to handle Columbus. I wish UNCC was closer to Uptown, but gotta love the Old Southern founders for their isoloation.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The second aerial photo reminds me much of Charlotte. Out of all these trees is a massive cluster of modern day "mountain" glass and steel structures. I think I might be able to handle Columbus. I wish UNCC was closer to Uptown, but gotta love the Old Southern founders for their isoloation.
Yes, in some ways, Columbus and Charlotte share some very distinct similarities.
C'mon up to Columbus for a visit, I'd enjoy showing you just how pleasantly "surprising" this city truly is.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Yes, in some ways, Columbus and Charlotte share some very distinct similarities.
C'mon up to Columbus for a visit, I'd enjoy showing you just how pleasantly "surprising" this city truly is.
I plan on it. I have some friends/family in Youngstown (God help me) and I will probably stop in Columbus then. I also want to check out Cleveland to see what's so bad about it. But this will definitely be in the summer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City