Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would prefer to live in the following Michigan city...
Ann Arbor 44 69.84%
Detroit 19 30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,775,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Ann Arbor has the Univeristy of Michigan, while Detroit is the Motor city and home to Ford and General Motors. One city is bustling admist the recession, and the other has one of the highest unemployment rates in the U.S. Nevertheless, both cities are great places. Choose which Michigan city, Ann Arbor or Detroit, you would live in, if such opportunity arose. Plus, why would you pick this particular city over its peer?
Ann Arbor due to being one of the most safest and populated suburbs of Detroit. It also consist of a great university ( University of Michigan). The city of Detroit is just dangerous ( one of the nations highest crime rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM

196 posts, read 614,939 times
Ann Arbor is a suburb of Detroit. It is a very nice suburb that has a good city center (thanks to the University) and character of its own--it feels like a small city, with institutions of its own like the university and Zingerman's Deli, but it still relies on Detroit. Theoretically, I'd always prefer to live in the big city than in the suburb, but Detroit isn't really the most urban city, and there might be a vibrancy in Ann Arbor that there isn't yet in Detroit. Still, I'd be interested in giving Detroit a shot.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 PM

37,260 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
There are nice neighborhoods in Detroit?
Yea, from what I've read in the Detroit forum and elsewhere, it looks like there are a few nabes in, near, and to the east of downtown that are nice.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 PM

507 posts, read 679,165 times
I would definitely choose Ann Arbor. Having grown up in the region, I really don't view Ann Arbor as a suburb of Detroit. The city is truly independent, and if anything, is it much more connected to Ypsilanti, Saline, and Dexter than what you would consider to be true Detroit suburbs like Grosse Pointe, Ferndale, or Dearborn. Really I view Plymouth as kind of the cut off city between the two regions.

Back on topic. Ann Arbor is a really vibrant town that offers something great to both students and residents of the city. There is really a great blending of the two communities. While the city is smaller (a little over 100,000) it still has great restaurants, a very nice downtown, an extensive library system, and a diverse population. The Ann Arbor region also has solid public transportation (another reason I separate it from the Detroit suburbs) which can take you easily around the area.

Detroit has some cool areas, but if I ever moved back to Michigan permanently, I would probably move to Ann Arbor.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,074,705 times
I choose Detroit. The homes are just beautiful from Boston-Edison district to East English Village all the way up to Palmer Woods.

You can't find these type of craftsman homes with the fine detail in the suburbs, unless you pay the millions of dollars to have them built.

Bell Isle is a fun park to ride your bike around or just take a walk and the majority of entertainment stop by in Downtown Detroit.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,672,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Ann Arbor due to being one of the most safest and populated suburbs of Detroit. It also consist of a great university ( University of Michigan). The city of Detroit is just dangerous ( one of the nations highest crime rate).
Ann Arbor is not a suburb of Detroit. They are so far apart, and separated by counties as well as miles and miles of forest and swamp that I can't see any evidence being brought forth for that argument's support. Anyone who's ever undertaken that god awful trip down that freeway by the airport-- I want to say that it's I-96 or I-94-- has spent enough time in the car to know that Ann Arbor is in no way, shape or form associated with Detroit.

As to the person who claimed that Ann Arbor relies on Detroit... I understand that these two cities are relatively unknown by many, but jesus. Detroit's a tax sinkhole that rapes Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids, Birmingham and every other profitable city in Michigan for money. It's approaching or has already surpassed 18% unemployment. The two cities are as disassociated as London and Milan.

Ann Arbor is an amazing little college town; there's nothing quite like it. It's like a much smaller Boston without the subway system. Unfortunately you do have to deal with the University of Michigan-- I went to the real Harvard of the Midwest, UofM, and that's the University of Chicago-- but it's still a very unique town.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,649,039 times
Ann Arbor definitely isn't an inner-ring suburb of Detroit. It's true that the direct connection is tough to see along I94, but if you take a route like Michigan Ave./Highway 12 through Ypsi and then south of Canton, it is more apparent.

The thing is, Detroit's suburbs are an incredible work of sprawl. They roll out from downtown in endless waves of "mile roads" and standalone chunks of suburban development. Ann Arbor did not start out as a suburb of Detroit, but as Detroit crept westward, it eventually became one, geographically.

However, it isn't a reliant suburb, even on the other suburbs. Economically, it is largely independent of Detroit - or even Lansing, since the university is increasingly able to fund its own operations with minimal state contributions, via endowments. Not to mention the massive medical infrastructure, which includes a VA hospital and a hospital campus in nearby Superior Township.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 26,910 times
Both cities have a lot to offer if you know where to look. Both have great places for sports, dining, drinking, and a nearby airport. That being said, I'd say Ann Arbor, only for its safety (both physical and economical).
Ann Arbor relies on the University of Michigan and therefore has been able to survive this crisis while the rest of the state has suffered. Ann Arbor does have some crime although it is mostly within the student housing area.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
ann arbor is a college town. a lot nicer. detroit, well detroit is detroit.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM

902 posts, read 2,790,936 times
The funny thing about Michigan is that it's biggest city is one in which if you don't live or work, that you rarely if ever go to. I think that it is the only major city in a state for which this can be said. The same goes for the city of Flint, Michigan as both are in dire straights. Although one of the best sports cities, the pistons play in Auburn Hills and until recently the Lions in Pontiac which are well outside of DT Detroit. Now with two new stadiums they are trying to revitalize downtown and it has gotten safer but noone in their right mind aside from attending a sporting event would be caught dead after dark in DT Detroit or Flint for that matter they are really that bad! Good Chance you'll get stuck up. The worst neighborhoods in the D are atrocious and are practically deserted aside from the criminal enterprises in control of the neighborhoods. Detroit was a city and still is a city with a lot of heart. I hope things change for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City