Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has th efriendlier residents, NC or FL?
NC 33 64.71%
FL 18 35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times

Advertisements

The discussion has been going on in the FL forum, where some of us (including myself) are comparing the differences between the people of FL versus NC. A few people agree with me, and some folks disagree, and think the FL residents are just as friendly if not friendlier than NC residents.

I'm not talking about FL natives vs NC natives, or transplants vs transplants, etc... but just overall, which state has the friendlier residents?

Thanks for voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 AM

174 posts, read 403,853 times
No offense, but this thread is somewhat pointless.

For one, both states are completely saturated with transplants from the same areas, so that would tend to make you believe that it would about the same - but we know how much individual experiences may vary.

Regardless, no matter where you live, your perception of just how friendly the people are in your life, really just comes down to luck of the draw. For example, in most cases your neighbors or your workplace will have the greatest influence on your overall perception of a community.

I think the people in NC are wonderful - I love my neighborhood, as well as the vast majority of people I work with. My good friend that also relocated here, can not stand the people she works with, therefore, has an overall bad experience here in the same state that I claim to love.

It's always about personal experiences.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:41 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
I disagree. I think if one has lived in both places, they would definitely be able to come to a conclusion. My vote's NC.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
I think they are pretty much equal, until you factor in SE Florida. That, IMO gives NC the slight edge here.

I also vote NC.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I live in both places now and can say that, overall, the people in NC are friendlier.
Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of nice people in FL. There are tons of nice & friendly people in FL. However, if I compare the entire state of FL to the entire state of NC, I think that the people in NC are overall much friendlier.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in both places now and can say that, overall, the people in NC are friendlier.
Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of nice people in FL. There are tons of nice & friendly people in FL. However, if I compare the entire state of FL to the entire state of NC, I think that the people in NC are overall much friendlier.
I totally agree with you. There are nice and friendly people everywhere, it's just a different "mind-set" in SE Florida as you well know.

I'm sure you find yourself exhaling a little when you venture towards your RDU home - but are probably always ready to return to the oasis that is Miami Beach. True?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I totally agree with you. There are nice and friendly people everywhere, it's just a different "mind-set" in SE Florida as you well know.

I'm sure you find yourself exhaling a little when you venture towards your RDU home - but are probably always ready to return to the oasis that is Miami Beach. True?
Miami Beach and Raleigh are the perfect balance for me. No matter which direction I am heading, I am always heading "home".
As Raleigh grows though, Miami Beach offers fewer and fewer things that I can't get in Raleigh. But, I'll ride this wave as long as I can. It's a good life.
My blood pressure does go down when I get to Raleigh. This is due to things like good service, good driving, polite people, intelligence. In my heart, Raleigh is home. It's a fantastic city and wonderful place to live.
I love Miami for other things. I love the variety of Latin cultures. I love the warm salty air and fact that it doesn't get cold. I love the urban nature of SouthBeach. And....I really love Peruvian ceviche!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM

^Another great post! I can imagine Peruvian ceviche may be in short supply in Raleigh!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times
North Carolina

Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I've met some very mean people all over different parts of Florida I've been to, especially with customer service. And no, it's not because I'm rude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City