Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times

Advertisements

It depends on you and your situation. Personally, I don't ever care if Austin gets an amusement park or professional sports team. It just doesn't go together. I don't want it to be like another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Sir, check your facts. Austin feels a lot more like west texas than east texas. The humidity levels are higher in the early morning hours, but there is NEVER a heat index in the afternoon. Yes, it is THAT dry here. Austin and San Antonio are quite unique in the lack of daytime humidity during the summer months. Of course, things could turn more humid in a wetter season, but by and large central TX is quite dry.

<snipped>
Okay, what??? I don't know for sure about Austin, because I only hang out there in the non-summer months... but I live in San Antonio and have lived here since adolescence (I am in my late 30's). It's humid, and there is almost always a heat index. If it isn't humid, why do I sweat in the shade?? If it's not the humidity then why do you sweat buckets even after the sun goes down if you try and do anything outside? I don't understand.

Yesterday I was at the airport, dropping someone off. I returned to my car (parked in the shade in the parking garage, lower level of course) and since my driver's side window is broken, I'd left all the windows down. It was around 8pm.

Upon returning to my car and attempting to leave I discovered a problem with the battery being dead and had to use a portable battery booster to jump it. That TINY bit of activity had sweat just POURING into my eyes by the time I was able to drive out of there. I was in the shade, and it was 8pm!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times
Austin vs. Denver (another one).... oh this really depresses me.

I will say is this once; move to Denver. It really is a cool city with 12 months of doing something outside and not being stuck indoors playing a wii or eating away like many of us do here in Austin.

If you like funky, funk, odd music, artsy art, heat, polite people (some very weird) and kick butt BBQ Austin is the place. Trust me, you have to love to EAT!! Don't come here expecting LA! No pro sports and we have a small downtown.

If you like a big city and you could look up at buildings and get dizzy b/c it's huge, crap load of public parks, mountains, 4-season and as long as you do-not care about beaches or being close to the coast, I say take Denver over Austin.

I enjoy my years here and right now I only can dream about CO for now.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,358 times
Even if it is a dry heat, you will still sweat in the shade when its 103 degrees outside! As I mentioned, during the early morning hours it is a little humid, but that almost always vanished by noon and the afternoon and evening are generally very dry with no heat index. Just look at the humidity numbers after about 1pm--they are almost always below 20% which is quite comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, what??? I don't know for sure about Austin, because I only hang out there in the non-summer months... but I live in San Antonio and have lived here since adolescence (I am in my late 30's). It's humid, and there is almost always a heat index. If it isn't humid, why do I sweat in the shade?? If it's not the humidity then why do you sweat buckets even after the sun goes down if you try and do anything outside? I don't understand.

Yesterday I was at the airport, dropping someone off. I returned to my car (parked in the shade in the parking garage, lower level of course) and since my driver's side window is broken, I'd left all the windows down. It was around 8pm.

Upon returning to my car and attempting to leave I discovered a problem with the battery being dead and had to use a portable battery booster to jump it. That TINY bit of activity had sweat just POURING into my eyes by the time I was able to drive out of there. I was in the shade, and it was 8pm!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times
You'll sweat in dry, but no where as much as you do here in Austin w/ it's humidity.

I did a moutain bike ride back in 08 in the front-range in JULY and only spot I had sweat was on my back from my camel-bak. Here when I ride, my gloves are soaked along w/ the rest of my body. Basically my clothes was soaked! Even my shades start to fog up or catch sweat on the bottom of my lens here.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I agree. Austin is humid compared to Denver. I lived in Denver for nearly 6 yrs. before we moved back to Texas.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 AM

12 posts, read 47,222 times
Eepstein:

You love to argue or be right am not sure which.

I lived in Denver/Colorado Springs/Greeley area for NINE years.
I lived in the Austin/San Antonio areas for FIVE years.

San Antonio and Austin are only 4 hours from The Gulf.

It is HUMID in this area compared to Denver/Colorado in general.

In Colorado you go through a gallon of body lotion trying to keep away dry skin caused by LOW humidity!

Geez! BOTH Austin and Denver are great places to live, both have pros and cons...just trying to inform people from experience.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:49 AM

12 posts, read 47,222 times
I drive I-35 twice a week between Austin and San Antonio.

It is a death trap and each time I make it I thank my lucky stars!

Last time I drove I-25 I didn't see any where near the crazy drivers you see in Texas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I-25 has it's share of crazy drivers, especially driving towards Colorado Springs.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,856 times
I'm a Texan who has lived in Denver for the past 5 years. On the positive side, Denver is beautiful, summers are pleasant, and it's great to be near the mountains. It's easy to get around town, and property taxes are low, low, compared to Austin.

On the other side, there is a state income tax, housing prices are higher than TX, and just generally the cost of living is higher. I find food much more expensive here. There is a lot of sun in the winter - but make no mistake, there is a pretty serious winter here, at least compared to TX. It lasts until May (not much of a spring here, we sort of go from snow to summer), which as a Texas sometimes gets me down a little bit.

After being away from Texas for so long, I do know that when I return in July - it feels really, really hot! And my hair frizzes! The trade-off is good hair in Denver, but my skin is so dry. I go through gallons of lotion here.

I think both places are pretty nice places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City